Is it me, or are some of the alternate attacks really weird?

• As in, they seem to hit a lot faster than normal swings.
    Weapons that immediately come to mind are the Claymore slash, Norse Sword overhead (just try it, really) and the Dane Axe. There might be others but I haven’t really looked properly.

Is this a problem or is it just me?

• @Swagatha:

As in, they seem to hit a lot faster than normal swings.
    Weapons that immediately come to mind are the Claymore slash, Norse Sword overhead (just try it, really) and the Dane Axe. There might be others but I haven’t really looked properly.

Is this a problem or is it just me?

cxnLfXXeCoA
    m993pj4pc94
    @Shara:

Both attacks take same amount of time to finish but alternative attack seems to reach the center much faster, therefore it makes the hit connects much faster too.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Both attacks take same amount of time to finish but alternative attack seems to reach the center much faster, therefore it makes the hit connects much faster too.

Interesting videos, I always felt that the ALT’s were a bit faster. :|

• I feel like they are faster as well.

• I think this is a bug and should be fixed. The combat system should not penalize attacking from certain side.

• Maybe they should just delete the game from steam then there is no more whining about feints, weapons, classes, modes, etc :h2:

• Maybe you shouldn’t read this section of the forums if you don’t like to see users giving valuable feedback about the game mechanics?

• @Reubot:

I think this is a bug and should be fixed. The combat system should not penalize attacking from certain side.

I feel that the varying weapon speeds make the game much more interesting and adds a lot of challenge when playing versus good players. If the alternate swings came in at the exact same speed as the regular swings then they would be just as easy to block.

I’m pretty sure that the windup time is the same too, so anyone using accelerated attacks gains little or no advantage using the alt attacks.

• @sirsmokealot:

Maybe they should just delete the game from steam then there is no more whining about feints, weapons, classes, modes, etc :h2:

I can see you’re not too intelligent, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t post in my threads again.

Thanks

• How is it a problem? It’s not the same for every weapon, so it makes knowledge and experience with all the weapons important. If you start a combo with a faster alt attack, your followup will be the slower normal one. If you want faster second attack in the combo, start with the slower normal attack.

• They truly do feel faster, must be because the windup seems a lot faster. Alternative slash Claymore/Greatsword etc. feels really quick simply because your character has to drag his weapon across his body then swing it back.

How is it a problem? It’s not the same for every weapon, so it makes knowledge and experience with all the weapons important. If you start a combo with a faster alt attack, your followup will be the slower normal one. If you want faster second attack in the combo, start with the slower normal attack.

Alternative attacks weren’t designed to be any faster than the normal attack (I think), only to have them come from a different direction to normal. This was so you can exploit corners easier, get around peoples shields easier (because it wasn’t easy enough as it was :P ) etc.

• @c4ndlejack:

How is it a problem? It’s not the same for every weapon, so it makes knowledge and experience with all the weapons important. If you start a combo with a faster alt attack, your followup will be the slower normal one. If you want faster second attack in the combo, start with the slower normal attack.

Fair point, but you can already affect the speed of the swings with mouse movement. In my view it should be strictly controlling the direction of the swings, and not have some semi-random element speeding up the swings.

• @Reubot:

Fair point, but you can already affect the speed of the swings with mouse movement. In my view it should be strictly controlling the direction of the swings, and not have some semi-random element speeding up the swings.

How are alternate attacks semi-random? They aren’t. You can always tell what attack your opponent is using. You’re just not used to people using them yet.

• also the alt swing of the MAA seems wider.

• @c4ndlejack:

If you start a combo with a faster alt attack, your followup will be the slower normal one.

That would only apply if you’re doing a combo of the same swing type e.g. two slashes.

As was shown in the video, a one hander, used without a shield, has an alternate slash and alternate overhead that swings faster to the center than the normal attacks so given this fact, it’s better to just alternate slash into alternate overhead or alternate overhead into alternate slash and you will end up doing combos using those ‘quicker’ strikes.

I’d have to agree that alternate swing animations need to be tweaked so that they’re equalised with their normal counterparts.