Warhammer range issues

• I’ve noticed the warhammer has range issues. I’ve gotten repeatedly killed by them recently when I was clearly out of range. During several duels, I would see the hammer miss about a foot ahead of me, yet it would register a hit on me (which is awful for a weapon that two hits everything).

I hear everyone complain about how OP it is all the time, and it is borderline too strong as it is with intended stats. However, with this range bug, the thing is nigh unbeateable. You can’t get away, and parrying it fails most of the time, no matter where you aim your block. My friend who was dueling me said I was out of range on his screen as well, so I’m inclined to believe the hit area for the hammer doesn’t match the model/intended range. This is bad, and could be the main reason everyone considers it OP (besides being so damaging and so quick).

Thoughts?

• Agreed. Although it is not limited to warhammer, there are not many other weapons with this problem. Maces come to mind, falchion of course as well, and maybe sometimes some of the knights bastard swords when wielded in one hand but I am not sure about those. I dont remember encountering the issue with two handed weapons.

• They also have ridiculously high attack damage.

• Hey guys. I’ll just leave these here. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =128812407

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =128812393

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =128812322

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =128812354

Ranges look fine to me. The only thing that seems to be wrong is the traces appear to lag behind the weapon, but this is true for all one-handers, not just the Warhammer.

1. Desync. Your opponent is actually whatever your combined pings are into the future. This is why the lack of a listed ping in duel mode frustrates me - if they’re ~150, it is quite noticeable it and you need to parry a little differently. Even 100 ping can make already nightmarish 1handers (hatchet slash, anyone?) ridiculous.

2. The release on most of the weapons people complain about it is relatively long for the weapon size (dane axe, warhammer). This means that the hittrace exists for a longer period of time, and you can use movement to run the hittrace into an opponent from out of range. For example: dane axe. Honestly, on short weapons a longer release is arguably a buff.

3. Sometimes, the weapon anim makes it look like it’s done attacking, but the hittrace is still active and it will totally hit you. For example: again, the dane axe. There is a short period at the end of the swing where the axe itself is basically totally stationary, and if you happen to touch it you will have your ankle exploded.

4. The warhammer does have really weird parries, especially when movement gets involved.

• @DSMatticus:

1. Desync. Your opponent is actually whatever your combined pings are into the future. This is why the lack of a listed ping in duel mode frustrates me - if they’re ~150, it is quite noticeable it and you need to parry a little differently. Even 100 ping can make already nightmarish 1handers (hatchet slash, anyone?) ridiculous.

2. The release on most of the weapons people complain about it is relatively long for the weapon size (dane axe, warhammer). This means that the hittrace exists for a longer period of time, and you can use movement to run the hittrace into an opponent from out of range. For example: dane axe. Honestly, on short weapons a longer release is arguably a buff.

3. Sometimes, the weapon anim makes it look like it’s done attacking, but the hittrace is still active and it will totally hit you. For example: again, the dane axe. There is a short period at the end of the swing where the axe itself is basically totally stationary, and if you happen to touch it you will have your ankle exploded.

4. The warhammer does have really weird parries, especially when movement gets involved.

I did a speed test and I’m geting a third of what I’m supposed to/what I have been getting. My ping must have just been really high.

So, since the range doesn’t seem to be much of a warmhammer specific issue, do we agree the damage is too high? I used it yesterday and found two quick facehug swings destroyed everything. If the swing wasn’t so powerful, I don’t think there would be a problem with the weapon.

• @Tankcommander:

So, since the range doesn’t seem to be much of a warmhammer specific issue, do we agree the damage is too high? I used it yesterday and found two quick facehug swings destroyed everything. If the swing wasn’t so powerful, I don’t think there would be a problem with the weapon.

Not really. I’ve never had an issue with the Warhammer, nor do I often hear about it. The only issue with it I see is its obvious overlap with the Flail. I feel that if we make a change to the Warhammer it should be suited to making it and the Flail more distinct from each other.

I kind of wish the Warhammer was only suited to killing Knights, but if we were to address its effectiveness against all classes in terms of HTK, we would need to re-do the Damage Types (I’ve already made a thread about this, with the Warhammer as a commonly cited example). Otherwise, we can really only nerf its speed.

• I’ve heard the same about the warhammer but thought it had to do with the shape of the weapon getting around blocks. If it is a bug it seems more obvious with dane axe and falchion.

To me the problem is that I love playing a Knight with a shield and the best weapons to go with the shield IMO are the war hammer or the falchion as they are relatively fast but do decent damage. However when I use these weapons people complain as if I’m using a hack or something. Of course I could just use the broadsword but it’s damage is limited and when you use a shield you’re just way too slow to use a weapon that doesn’t really hurt. A broadsword is good for a MaA without a shield because you can use your speed to keep delivering blows and dodging in and out but the speed penalty of using a shield and being a knight means this isn’t possible.

I’ve taken to using the Messer one handed with the shield not because I enjoy it as much but because I was sick of being told I was somehow cheating just by using a weapon.