The Medieval Drive: How fantasy may influence Chivalry: MW

• I acknowledged that TBS is a small studio of 15 people and I don’t want to sound demanding, this post is just to create discussion.

Edit:2 I will play this game so much upon the release of Season 3 of Games of Throne…

I think it is safe to say that a good bit of people want to fulfil their medieval fantasy or the concept of medieval times in a well polished game like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. War of the Roses had that going for them with tons of customisation of historical correct era weaponry, armour and armour designs. However in my opinion they flopped due to a mediocre combat mechanic.

The world of Chivalry is already a work of fiction therefore TBS is not limited to what is only found in history books. People are just fooled by the historically accurate weaponry but TBS can easily justify the appearance of other worldly weapons (no magic though) or KATANAS. <<< Make it happen. But I guess it is easy to take weapons from history but what about game modes and settings? I guess the possibilities are all plausible to an extent.

Suggestions of new weapons, armour designs and classes can be reflected in this drive for medieval “stuff”. Heck even the names of some players I have met suggested they have read in the genre of fantasy so it is no surprise that some people get their ideas from literature and movies. If Torn Banner is able to rally this feeling and add concepts from other fictions but without comprising the realism then I think the community would be very happy.

Edit1:

Funny as it might be, the map Citadel is a good reflection of Mordor and on many occasion, players I have met make jokes about this. Stuff like this make this game really enjoyable as people can relate to stuff they have enjoyed in other work. Players make connection to things they have experienced, recreating this is very beneficial to the overall enjoyment of a game.

Edit3: What about taking the concept of “rangers” like in LoTR. A class that is able to wield some bows and some 2H/1H swords? Of course there would be balancing concerns and not every bow will available to the Ranger or perhaps create new bows specific to this new class so that it won’t compromise the place that Archers are on.

–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This my first attempt at suggesting a new class similar to stuff of fantasy

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11007

• See, fantasy will ruin the game.

• So what ur saying is…
    Take War of roses huge customisation of historical correct era weaponry, armour and armour designs.
    And combined it2 Chivalry’s deep Melee combat system…
    4an Epic Win?

• @Rodelero:

So what ur saying is…
    Take War of roses huge customisation of historical correct era weaponry, armour and armour designs theme.
    4an Epic Win?

TBS have acknowledged that customisation is a top priority for their future plans for their game Chivalry: Medieval warfare. So yes, if TBS can do that then this game will blow any competition out the window.

I will be very happy to see the developers of TBS rack in all the cash from the sales of this wonderful game.

Get rich TBS

• TBS hopefully will be concentrating on some networking optimizations on the sidelines also. 64p servers still explode when at high player counts.

• @Cheesus:

TBS hopefully will be concentrating on some networking optimizations on the sidelines also. 64p servers still explode when at high player counts.

Haha yes, and not only that but also to optimise the engine for lower performing machines. But please keep any response relevant to the thread.

Thanks

• I always thought Citadel was reminiscent of Dragonstone from Ice & Fire.

The devs are small in number and doing what they can. First let them fix some of the issues that actually affect the gameplay, then let them deal with the cosmetic stuff. I’d rather have a working game, than 50 helmets, wouldn’t you agree?

• @Skream:

I’d rather have a working game, than 50 helmets, wouldn’t you agree?

Look what happened to TF2. Haha

• customisation makes everything better.

• @Matti:

@Skream:

A game that is making valve more money as a free game than it was before?

• @Cheesus:

TBS hopefully will be concentrating on some networking optimizations on the sidelines also. 64p servers still explode when at high player counts.

you mean the 64 player servers that every fight is a complete clusterfuck?

or the 64 person server with the rain of arrows so melee is forced into using a shield or smoke pots?

I’d vote for 16 player TO games anytime over 64 player spamfest. Maybe when larger maps are introduced and make a small maplist and large maplist… Keep these seperate and you could have epic battles and small skirmishes if you so decide.

I agree 100% optimization would be super cool, but regarding 64 player servers, I’d like to see map making tools and some killer large maps introduced before fooling with that stuff…

• Fantasy in Chivalry? I’d like to see that, why not :)

Can you imagine dwarfs competing with humans with their short arm reach? Heh, they could be buffed with more health and stamina in return. But hey, they would be totally covered by tower shield :D (but actually I would expect unique equipment for each race).

Or wizards :)
    Imagination is the only limit!

• @Sir:

Fantasy in Chivalry? I’d like to see that, why not :)

Can you imagine dwarfs competing with humans with their short arm reach?

Dwarves can’t do head shots on humans.
    Elves would get +1 to hit with bows.
    Halflings can hide in shadows.
    Clerics can heal others.
    Wizards just kill anyone instantly.

• @boomandvibe:

@Matti:

@Skream:

A game that is making valve more money as a free game than it was before?

I was talking about the 50 helmets that he mentioned. :) Anyways

• @Sir:

Can you imagine dwarfs competing with humans with their short arm reach? Heh, they could be buffed with more health and stamina in return. But hey, they would be totally covered by tower shield :D (but actually I would expect unique equipment for each race).

Too much fantasy will compromise the realism of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. There’re somethings that I don’t see how it can be incorporated into this game. Magics and mythical beasts are just one of those things. However, map settings, specific weapons and classes are all plausible.

The world of Chivalry is already a work of fiction, people are just fooled by realistic weapons of variety of accurate historical eras. Therefore TBS is not limited to the stuff found in history books.

• @WhatDehFish:

@Rodelero:

So what ur saying is…
    Take War of roses huge customisation of historical correct era weaponry, armour and armour designs theme.
    4an Epic Win?

TBS have acknowledged that customisation is a top priority for their future plans for their game Chivalry: Medieval warfare. So yes, if TBS can do that then this game will blow any competition out the window.

I will be very happy to see the developers of TBS rack in all the cash from the sales of this wonderful game.

Get rich TBS

Yes! :k1:
    I support War of Roses like customisation very much…

• @WhatDehFish:

@Sir:

Too much fantasy will compromise the realism of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. There’re somethings that I don’t see how it can be incorporated into this game. Magics and mythical beasts are just one of those things. However, map settings, specific weapons and classes are all plausible.

The world of Chivalry is already a work of fiction, people are just fooled by realistic weapons of variety of accurate historical eras. Therefore TBS is not limited to the stuff found in history books.

Three words. Chivalry modding SDK
    P.S. 8 more words. Custom maps Custom maps Custom maps Custom maps