[MISC] Keeping opponents out of your face

• I find the most difficult tactic to defeat is an opponent’s tactic of charging in ( normally with a fast sword like a Norse sword) right up to your nose and combo swinging you to death. I find it very hard to block, moving backwards doesn’t help and this attack normally defeats shields.

If you do get a parry in, because your weapon is slower, they just repeat the same tactic.

The only tactic I have come up with is trying to move to the left and circle them.

Any guidance on how to combat this would be very much appreciated.

• Usually its the MAA who does this with a combo back and forth

a) With a shield you certainly can block even after that first strike hits but you need to turn at least 90 degrees to successfully block. Make sure you have enough mouse sensitivity to be able to spin fast.

b) Obviously with a MAA you need to strike first and prevent them getting that close so a feint and then a real strike as they continue to charge helps. The good thing once you hit them they flinch they are as good as dead (shield bash is a great followup to a strike as they will die after the stun).

c) Another fun tactic they usually fall for is to turn around as they charge before they get too close and pretend to run, then spin back and stab them.

d) Hopefully they will fix the kick speed in the future…

• Here’s something that I discovered.
    When he is about to attack you jump just before he hits you, that way you’re going to be knockbacked out of his range and it should give you enough time to recover from his flurry.

• @loriziell:

Here’s something that I discovered.
    When he is about to attack you jump just before he hits you, that way you’re going to be knockbacked out of his range and it should give you enough time to recover from his flurry.

I will try this out.

• You cant gain distance from charging opponent by backing up. You can gain distance by rushing forward and try not to collide with him because you lose the momentum.

• @loriziell:

That’s true.
    When I was a low rank I’d do that all the time against 2H weapons - if you parry/block an attack while jumping you get flung a good distance.

Somehow I managed to forget that fact so I haven’t done it in months. I’ll have to make a note of it and try to get back int othe habit of doing that when I’m in a pickle.

• @Dibbz:

@loriziell:

That’s true.
    When I was a low rank I’d do that all the time against 2H weapons - if you parry/block an attack while jumping you get flung a good distance.

Somehow I managed to forget that fact so I haven’t done it in months. I’ll have to make a note of it and try to get back int othe habit of doing that when I’m in a pickle.

This is pretty useful in duels, but invaluable in other game modes where you might be facing multiple enemies. A jumpblock has pushed me out of the fray many a time.

• run away. no seriously. It’s called kiting i guess some would refer to it as. Just because they sprint forward at you and your backsteps aren’t as fast, doesn’t mean you cannot turn and run away a sec to keep distance. Just make sure you don’t turn your back on him when he’s too close, and get back facing forward as soon as ya can… but yea… just run away.

• @clayton-bigsby:

run away. no seriously. It’s called kiting i guess some would refer to it as. Just because they sprint forward at you and your backsteps aren’t as fast, doesn’t mean you cannot turn and run away a sec to keep distance. Just make sure you don’t turn your back on him when he’s too close, and get back facing forward as soon as ya can… but yea… just run away.

exactly. just unbind S key and practice kiting

• I play m@a and I find the best way to counter face-hugging is by dodging sideways, which also gives me a free hit. Although I’m usually the one doing the face-hugging….

• Typically what i would do as playing a knight/vanguard class would be block their incoming attack, While continually backing up until your at a distance where a incoming slash will miss. then wait for their attack if they don’t attack bait them in by moving closer. when they attack they will miss and you can land a successful strike. usually from what i’ve experienced after you get a hit they wont be as aggressive if they are just rinse and repeat