The game mechanics causing me to ragequit at times.

• Two suggestions:

As people have mentioned before, the fact that you can hit several enemies with 1 attack gets tiring after +100 hours of gameplay. However, instead of removing this feature, i propose a nerf in the damage on all but the first target hit. This nerf should be like a reduction of 80% weapon dmg. This way, it will still be effective to ‘splash attack’ - as it will interrupt all hit enemies - but it won’t feel arcady (to use a word used by like-minded people) as it does now.

The huge problem with the system as it is, is that it reduces the meaning of skill level, so it is on par with luck and LMB spamming. Of course this is exaggerated, skill is still very much required, but it’s not as much as it should be.

The weapons that are the biggest sinners in this case are the 2 handed swords, bardiche and all similar weapons with long range and high swing damage.

You just have to play 5 minutes on any public server to see the flaw in action. 4 guys are fighting, suddenly a vanguard charges in with his zweihander <boom>2 people dead cause they were occupied by the other 2.

The problem is obviously that this requires so little effort that it feels like an abuse. I do it like 30% of the time when playing vanguard and it easily gets me to top 5 scoreboard.

Today, i got really annoyed when playing Chiv, so i went back Warband - after having played Chiv instead of Warband since Chiv open beta was released. While Chiv’s combat is in many ways superior to Warband’s, there is however one problem in my opinion: Why can we charge around at full speed at all times without losing stamina?

A few months back, the guy who made a fatigue mod for Oblivion wrote here, to suggest a change to the stamina system. My suggestion is to actually listen to what this guy said and make Sprinting (running) cost stamina. The point is, as in the former suggestion, to change the balance between skill on the one hand, and luck and lmb-spam on the other. Thus i can return why i played Warband over Chiv this day (don’t worry it won’t continue!): In Warband movement is much slower paced, thereby forcing people to think more instead of only having to react very quickly to changing enemy positioning etc. - as it is in Chiv. This, in Warband, leads to a somewhat static gameplay, with far too little dynamics. In Chiv, however, this is not much better - here everyone just charges at full speed at ALL times (again a small exaggeration) and this removes the importance of skill in favour of zergling rushes.

Conclusion:
    With these two suggestions realised in the game, i think the combat in Chiv would be a more solid experience. As it is, combat can feel very cheap at times - when any rookie can kill any master with a lucky zerg hit and run rush.
    The End.</boom>

• I like the multikill swings. It really helps when taking on multiple opponents and they all slash around and kill each other.

I’ve never played Warband, but I like the fast paced combat from running through and around enemies in Chivalry. I can’t see how taking stamina to run would make it a better game, especially when the attacking team has to run a marathon to get to the objectives.

• I don’t see any problems with multiple kills with weapons… However, I understand what your point is and what your opinion is on the matter and respect it. I mean, you’re right from a realism standpoint, but as far as balance and gameplay, this would probably hurt the game a lot.

Could you imagine running to the first objective in Citadel (while being fire upon by archers and ballistae) while having to conserve stamina? You’d reach the fight and be too tired to even fight anyone… I am strongly against making sprint cost stamina. Making it prevent stamina regen is enough imo. Again, I understand your point and opinion and respect it, just disagree with it.

Has been suggested before, but it shouldn’t reduce the damage too much. Fighting multiple enemies is hard enough.

This is for balance.

Nice post. :D

• In Skyrim, the first mods to come up were to reduce the sprinting cost to stamina, so I’ll have to disagree with your point about listening to some guy who made an Oblivion mod (which means opening the editor, changing one value related to stamina and saving it as an .esp, which an armless monkey could do). Draining stamina just to run is no fun and in Chivalry you don’t recover stamina while sprinting, which only comes into play during and after fights, which is perfect. Just running to the battle should be as smooth as possible.

• @Daiyuki:

Just running to the battle should be as smooth as possible.

I agree!

Horses! :lol:

(or motorcycles)

• RE: Point 2. It’s not a balance issue really, it was a design decision. No one wants to traverse the map, then enter the fight with 0 stamina, and no one wants to waste time walking when they could be fighting and having fun instead, hence you can run without any Stamina penalty. Personally, I love it, and I played AoC for 5 years where running actually did cost stamina, and I prefer the Chivalry way, it keeps the flow of combat thick and fast.

• @Martin:

thick and fast.

This is how I like my Chivalry syrup…

[image:1t0f39jg]http://gocooking.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/traditionalmaple.jpg[/image:1t0f39jg]

• I see no reason to make either of these changes other than “it makes me rage”. Why does it make you rage? How is it unfair or unbalanced?

• No need to cost stamina to run we already have lots of map defects which will stop you from running and force you into walk mode until you figure out holding shift is not working and you clumsily reapply the shift key.

• @gregcau:

No need to cost stamina to run we already have lots of map defects which will stop you from running and force you into walk mode until you figure out holding shift is not working and you clumsily reapply the shift key.

One of the MANY reasons why I stopped playing this game completely until tons of things are fixed. Also doesn’t help that the development team is MIA about any of these suggestions. Vaporware already?

• 1. YES from me
    Playing MAA, it really kills my fun/experience when my allys drain half my life, killing me or almost killing me.
    Half the time my allys are more dangerous then the enemy, They see any blooded enemys, archers or MAAs they all rush in yoloing it up, swinging wildly. They even Jump in 1v1s hitting me, throwing off my groove with stuns, just2 end up dieing at the enemy’s hands.
    And we all know how annoying that is from archers.

Awhile back i suggested a mirror like damage penalty, But got lots of negatvie feedback(no surprise considering the amount that play Vanguards/Knights) They didnt want any form of punishment4thier reckless actions.

Lately ive been tracking allys down and killing/trolling them.

2.Martin gives reasons why.

• There are legitimate reasons to not have mirror team damage, and this is coming from a MAA that gets killed by helicopter vanguards fairly often. For every new player that runs into fights mashing their lmb, there’s one that will run right in front of you while you’re killing someone and get themselves killed. Adding that kind of punishment would also open up a new way to troll people by purposefully jumping in front of their attacks.

It wouldn’t make people more careful, it would just make them leave the game.

• @Martin:

RE: Point 2. It’s not a balance issue really, it was a design decision. No one wants to traverse the map, then enter the fight with 0 stamina, and no one wants to waste time walking when they could be fighting and having fun instead, hence you can run without any Stamina penalty.

I, for one, disagree. The realism should take precedence here over gameplay. Imagine, how much more immersive and therefore more FUN will the new stamina running penalty mechanics feel on maps such as Battlegrounds 2nd Phase and especially Citadel 1st Phase. :jrazz:

• @NabsterHax:

I see no reason to make either of these changes other than “it makes me rage”. Why does it make you rage? How is it unfair or unbalanced?

These mechanics make me rage cause they are cheap. Any idiot can charge in like Arnold Schwarzenegger and still be a threat. I don’t think thats enjoyable at all, as i like people to actually put some thought and effort into what they do, instead of - like i said - zerg rushing. The randomness of the current system - that is what makes me ragequit.

About the stamina drain… well we didn’t even talk about how MUCH stamina should be drained. I didn’t necessarily mean a fast drain of stamina, only that you can’t continuously run at full speed for 2 minutes.

Example:
    Agathian knight runs to the corpse wagon at Masons’ spawn. When the knight gets there, he will have lost a fourth of his stamina. This isn’t a lot, but it’s enough to make a difference in a fight - especially if he tries to run away instantly. Then he might find himself on half stamina and have to walk a bit to regain or fight at a disadvantage against chasing enemies.

By the way you shouldn’t mention Citadel as it is a WIP map anyway, so its not a good map to compare balance to.

• @Elminster:

@NabsterHax:

I see no reason to make either of these changes other than “it makes me rage”. Why does it make you rage? How is it unfair or unbalanced?

These mechanics make me rage cause they are cheap. Any idiot can charge in like Arnold Schwarzenegger and still be a threat. I don’t think thats enjoyable at all, as i like people to actually put some thought and skill into what they do, instead of - like i said - zerg rushing.

I don’t get why you consider them cheap, as running doesn’t give a person an unfair advantage. Or any advantage for that matter.
    Adding a stamina drain for running won’t change anything; people will simply crouch for 2 seconds when they see the enemy approaching. Thus it will simply be an annoying nuisance.

• Hmmm i don’t get your point - why would they do that? :D

@Martin
    Well this ‘thick and fast’ to me is like a piece of music where every note is played very loud and monotonously in the same way.

It’s nice with a bit variation. At the moment it is just, charge - kill - kill- die - respawn and it is fun for a while, but gets repetitive.

• @Elminster:

It’s nice with a bit variation. At the moment it is just, charge - kill - kill- die - respawn and it is fun for a while, but gets repetitive.

So you want charge - walk - crouch to regain stamina - charge - kill - kill - die - respawn.

That would make it twice as annoying.

I think you need to practice your duelling, get better at one-on-one combat and you will find it much less frustrating.

• I have no problems in duels, but thanks anyway.

Anyway, the 1. suggestion is the most important as it is the worst part of this game at the moment. The game rocks, and i like to play it - but like the Title says ‘…causing me to ragequit at times’.

• @Elminster:

I have no problems in duels, but thanks anyway.

Anyway, the 1. suggestion is the most important as it is the worst part of this game at the moment. The game rocks, and i like to play it - but like the Title says ‘…causing me to ragequit at times’.

I know the feeling as a primarily MAA player. Little armor, no health. Anybody hitting me is a huge issue.

But this is not how I would implement this particular mechanic. I would make the extreme edges of any swing do less damage, rapidly ramping up to full. This would help with getting hit by team mates since usually they aren’t going to hit you in the middle of their swing, would help getting sliced through 2 others since you all shouldn’t be that tight into a ball in the first place, and help getting decapitated by backswings. Although, honestly, not one person blocks a huge helicopter swing? That stops it pretty quickly.