MIKE_EFFING_JONES' Archer Overhaul (suggestion)

• In my recent revival of archer play I have noticed numerous glitches, imbalances, and general issues with the archer class that I will try to boil down and list here. Keep your archer hate to general discussion.

The controls for archer bows are cumbersome as fuck. If you hold M1 to draw your bow you can’t switch weapons mid-draw, this should be fixed asap. Getting hit while zooming in will frequently keep your vision stuck with the zoom until you draw and zoom again to reset it or switch weapons (but not always). Switching from ranged to melee is also a slow process in the heat of battle, the delay after shooting is amplified by the lack of ability to punch or kick from the archer stance (let me punch with arrows pls). The inability to release an arrow early in order to just get a shot off or arc an arrow over terrain is unrealistic and lowers the skill ceiling.

And as an aside, why doesn’t the arrow itself aim straight at the crosshair. #archerproblems

[Bow Weapons]
    I still believe that bow balance should be based around skill instead of hard limits. Melee weapons don’t have hard limits outside of parry/parried. Lower drawspeeds and decrease draw length based on bow strength, realistic and balanced. Add accuracy decrease with movement based on bow strength.

The shortbow overlaps with sling in terms of purpose, a ranged weapon that deals it’s little damage quickly while allowing you to move reasonably fast. The draw speed isn’t actually quick however this weapon remains balanced, if only due to the damage it does to the squishier classes.

IMO the longbow should have a drawspeed of .9 or 1.0, as it stands now a maul can swing twice before a longbow can be drawn. The warbow should be slightly longer with a shorter draw hold. Shortbow, quicker draw, longer hold. Makes sense right?

Warbow arrow should move slightly faster.

F-fire arrows please :)

[Crossbow Weapons]
    Crossbows suffer no aim penalty when moving
    Crossbows Move faster than previous when aiming
    Crossbowman need a better utility item. Open to suggestions here

[Javelin Weapons]
    Two hit stab combo.
    Spiked buckler for more shield damage with a slower strike.

[Sling]
    Don’t have enough experience with it outside of trolling duels. The release seems sluggish, should have an audio or visual cue for when the damage is maxed.

[Daggers]
    Why are they even here? 'Cos rogue class jonesy! Overwhelm and backstabbin yo.
    Fair enough, why do we need so many? On paper it allows for versatility but in practice it’s useless overlap. Some unique purpose needs to be filled because right now there is little reason to pick these weapons.

[Secondary Weapons]
    I generally have no issue with these, they all server a clear purpose and are effective in those roles. I still think the saber is a silly weapon but that’s just MO.

I feel like the archer would heavily benefit from a strong/slow secondary or they just need something of their own. Having MAA hand-me-downs feels cheap and unfulfilling.

• While I admit I do hate archers I feel there is no reason why they should not be able to kick with their weapon. The same applies for vanguard and MaA with throwing weapons - not that they really need the kick but as a vanguard with throwing axe I find myself wanting mostly when I need to kick a friendly (mostly archer) blocking my way (especially stoneshill throneroom is terrible - 2 doors are almost always overcrowded by archers shooting from cover and blocking passage for real men).

• i wanna be able to no-scope with a crossbow

• How the fuck this an archer overhaul? You are just ranting about archer.

Switch weapon with an arrow drawn? How the hell is that even possible in real life? You have to let go of your arrow before you do anything.

Archers do not need any buff. If anything, slight nerf is what they need. Right now, playing archer is way too easy. I rarely die when i play archer. I cant count how many rounds i went 30-0 as archer.

• I agree overall. The shortbow, especially, needs to shoot faster, while only the warbow needs a longer draw time. Why crossbows have a accuracy penalty why moving is beyond me, since it really gimps their effectiveness.

As for daggers, I think they should natively have a 100% backstab bonus (even for MAA), with the 50% rogue bonus added for Archer. Thus, you could get up to 150% damage from the back as an Archer. Maybe even more, I don’t know. Faster draw time would be nice too.

• If you’re going to start giving more perks to archers in melee (such as kicks with bow drawn, faster switching of weapons etc.) what are you going to give melee fighters to balance it out? If you’ve chosen an archer then your role is to do damage from a distance, you can’t also be really good at hand to hand fighting when there are already melee fighters with no range weapons.

• only thing with archers that needs tweaking is the jav. and sling

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

In my recent revival of archer play I have noticed numerous glitches, imbalances, and general issues with the archer class that I will try to boil down and list here. Keep your archer hate to general discussion.

The controls for archer bows are cumbersome as fuck. If you hold M1 to draw your bow you can’t switch weapons mid-draw, this should be fixed asap. ….

Didn’t bother reading the rest of your wall of text. I thought i’d stop at your first sentence. Have you ever drawn a bow in RL?

PS leave Mr Sling alone, he’s fine.

• The punishment that archers receive when improperly timing bow draws are balanced by the fact that movement is somewhat slow in this game and archer in melee is very formidable, especially with proper positioning near teammates/engaging on low hp. You can also switch before you actually draw an arrow or switch after fully drawn by canceling the shot. Proper judging of distances and knowing draw times is integral to an archer and I don’t like the removal of any of those factors.

• my arrows are tipped in franks red.