Sprint Question

• What stops you from sprinting?

I know that if you take a hit/damage then you stop sprinting. I also know that getting stuck on terrain etc. stops you.

Does someone parrying your attack while you are sprinting stop you sprinting or can you simply keep on running after someone has parried you.

I was in a match today where some guy was able to keep on sprinting after I had parried one of his attacks so he was never stopping or slowing down.

Just wanted to know if this was normal or not.

Thanks.

• Turning too sharply will stop your sprint, but making a gradual 180 won’t. So you can’t turn on a dime but you can still run around throwing out attacks if you turn slowly enough. Combined with the chase speed bonus you get when you sprint towards someone (just keep your crosshair on them and sprint), you should be able to catch up to and hit anyone doing this.

• I think it would be beneficial to the game as a whole if both the push to sprint/toggle sprint options were persistent.

I think it would kill two birds with 1 stone. It would get rid of the nagging issue of having to release sprint and re-engage it, and it would also make people more inclined to ignore the random terrain hiccups that they encounter.

There are areas of maps that visually have no indicator that you will snag and stop moving, but if my sprint persisted when I held it down or toggled it, I’d aim my character around it and keep on trucking.

The way it works currently makes for some infuriating situations in which you’re trying to get out of range of a weapon that is bearing down on your brain stem, but you get killed/caught simply because sprint got interrupted and you didn’t realize, and by the time you find out you’re walking and have to re-engage it, you’re already dead.

• @SlyGoat:

Turning too sharply will stop your sprint, but making a gradual 180 won’t. So you can’t turn on a dime but you can still run around throwing out attacks if you turn slowly enough. Combined with the chase speed bonus you get when you sprint towards someone (just keep your crosshair on them and sprint), you should be able to catch up to and hit anyone doing this.

Why do people insist that the chase mechanics provides a speed bonus? It clearly is (or at least was) a slow down to the player being chased. You can actually feel it (or at least you could, when I tested it.)

Did the game change in the last couple of patches back?

• Huh?

It’s never been a slow-down….

• @BobT36:

Huh?

OF COURSE it was a slow down of the person being chased.
    My only question after 267 hours of playing this game, did the game change and I never noticed?

• I think it’s time for a developer to come in and settle this issue… which I apparently started…

Thanks.

• @acrh2:

@BobT36:

Huh?

My only question after 267 hours of playing this game, did the game change and I never noticed?

not really, they never made change of the movement speed. The speed increase is chase speed bonus is there since day 1(you knew that) and there are never slow down from being chased

• @acrh2:

@BobT36:

Huh?

I may not have 267 hours, but I sure as hell haven’t noticed a slow down. I have noticed moving faster when targeting someone. Been like that since the day I started playing, over 200 hours of playtime ago.

• @SlyGoat:

Turning too sharply will stop your sprint, but making a gradual 180 won’t. So you can’t turn on a dime but you can still run around throwing out attacks if you turn slowly enough. Combined with the chase speed bonus you get when you sprint towards someone (just keep your crosshair on them and sprint), you should be able to catch up to and hit anyone doing this.

Thanks, but does anyone know if parrying a sprinting persons attack is meant to interupt their sprint or not?

• @acrh2:

@BobT36:

Huh?

Wow, that’s your counter-point? XD

“So this thing is like this all of a sudden”
    ‘No it’s not.’
    “OF COURSE it is. When did it change?”
    ‘…. But it’s not’

Does that look like an intelligent conversation? Because that’s basically what just happened.

• @acrh2:

@SlyGoat:

Why do people insist that the chase mechanics provides a speed bonus? It clearly is (or at least was) a slow down to the player being chased. You can actually feel it (or at least you could, when I tested it.)

It’s a speed up to the chaser, not a slow down to the target. Not sure how you ever got that impression. It’s easy enough to test - just type showdebug in console and you’ll be able to see your current speed. Sprint around until you reach max sprint speed, then sprint towards a nearby enemy and watch it suddenly spike.

• @SlyGoat:

@acrh2:

@SlyGoat:

It’s a speed up to the chaser, not a slow down to the target. Not sure how you ever got that impression. It’s easy enough to test - just type showdebug in console and you’ll be able to see your current speed. Sprint around until you reach max sprint speed, then sprint towards a nearby enemy and watch it suddenly spike.

Maybe he’ll accept your word over Bob’s? Who would have thought a goat would be the voice of reason around here.

• @Daiyuki:

@SlyGoat:

@acrh2:

Maybe he’ll accept your word over Bob’s? Who would have thought a goat would be the voice of reason around here.

No chance! :D

I will only accept evidence from a developer who wrote the code. About three months ago, it was a slow down, I swear!

Besides, I play Dead Space now. You go away! :P

• So does anybody want to answer my question or have I missed it somewhere/or am I going crazy?

• @DokB:

So does anybody want to answer my question or have I missed it somewhere/or am I going crazy?

Turning sharply, getting stuck on something for more than a second or two (which is a nice improvement from just tripping over a pebble and stopping your sprint) and yes I believe getting parried does it too, but it’s fairly trivial to just turn around and start sprinting again. There’s a very short lockout on sprint after doing anything, for whatever reason, but the time it takes to turn around is enough of a wait to start sprinting again. Probably what you encountered, just a good Vanguard. That is how to play them.

• @Daiyuki:

@DokB:

So does anybody want to answer my question or have I missed it somewhere/or am I going crazy?

Turning sharply, getting stuck on something for more than a second or two (which is a nice improvement from just tripping over a pebble and stopping your sprint) and yes I believe getting parried does it too, but it’s fairly trivial to just turn around and start sprinting again. There’s a very short lockout on sprint after doing anything, for whatever reason, but the time it takes to turn around is enough of a wait to start sprinting again. Probably what you encountered, just a good Vanguard. That is how to play them.

Didn’t feel like he ever stopped sprinting, so I’m still not sure if parrying a sprinting persons stops them. If it was to stop them, I haven’t felt that you could somehow immediately keep on sprinting. As you said, there is a bit of a lockout between sprints but this guy just was never ever slowed down except only when he was hit by something and even then that didn’t slow him down for long, almost a split second later he would be sprinting again.

• @DokB:

@Daiyuki:

@DokB:

Didn’t feel like he ever stopped sprinting, so I’m still not sure if parrying a sprinting persons stops them. If it was to stop them, I haven’t felt that you could somehow immediately keep on sprinting. As you said, there is a bit of a lockout between sprints but this guy just was never ever slowed down except only when he was hit by something and even then that didn’t slow him down for long, almost a split second later he would be sprinting again.

That’s because the lockout is on the order of .2 seconds or somesuch other small number. I have no way to know exactly, but it’s the same issue that I brought up that stops you from dodging right after disengaging sprint. With it being only 100-200ms or so, it’s really not noticeable in regular play or just when sprinting around, so there’s no reason for it to not look like he was always sprinting. Good Vanguards I’ve fought get right back out of range after being parried, same thing here.

• There is a solution i’m using. I have bound my ‘move forward’ key and my ‘sprint key’ to the same key - in my case RMB (as i don’t WASD (You could use this with WASD though)).
    Generally i sprint on moving forwards, sometimes i dont maybe 15% of the time and i just quickly rehit my forward key.