Spear takes so much skill in duels… (not really)

• How is an archer throwing a one-hit kill spear 1 foot away from you in duels balanced at all? Does anyone know?

• the last spear is pretty powerful but he has only 4, the MAA will die with one shot but not always, try dodging or using the shield.

• @soni2295:

the last spear is pretty powerful but he has only 4, the MAA will die with one shot but not always, try dodging or using the shield.

The multiple archers I’ve faced with these spears threw well over four. I’ve dodged all of them from the distance, but just as I get close, I get a spear to my face and die instantly as a vanguard. Vanguards can’t use shields.

• heavy javelin is the only one that can kill one shot torso a MAA. and has 4 ammo.

• You can pick up missed jav throws if they impact a soft surface. All projectiles now work this way.

• The Archer was throwing the javelins pretty fast. I don’t think it was a heavy javelin.

• Ammo count
    Shortspear: 6
    Javeline: 5
    HeavyJaveline: 4

Shortspear is the Fastest thrown/reloaded projectile out of all the Archers arsenals.

• and can only one shot kill a MAA if in the head i think.

• @soni2295:

and can only one shot kill a MAA if in the head i think.

Well that’s not the case with the archers I was playing with. They were one-shotting Vanguards. I’m not sure about Knights.

• @Shasow:

@soni2295:

Well that’s not the case with the archers I was playing with. They were one-shotting Vanguards. I’m not sure about Knights.

Only on a head shot. The damage is not enough to one shot a van. Although it nearly is.

• Allowing archers who spawn with 1 hit kill any class crossbows, loaded, along with 1 hit kill maa stupid shit javelins was the worst gamemode balancing I’ve ever seen. Its beyond idiotic. Those shitty ass tiny butthole maps are a death sentence against even a shitty ass player who has 4 attempts at 1 shotting you. Archers should not be able to use ranged weapons in duel gamemode.

• @Corsair:

@Shasow:

@soni2295:

Only on a head shot. The damage is not enough to one shot a van. Although it nearly is.

Right, and they were head-shotting me every time, since they were throwing the javelines right as I got near them.

• @Avallac:

Allowing archers who spawn with 1 hit kill any class crossbows, loaded, along with 1 hit kill maa stupid shit javelins was the worst gamemode balancing I’ve ever seen. Its beyond idiotic. Those shitty ass tiny butthole maps are a death sentence against even a shitty ass player who has 4 attempts at 1 shotting you. Archers should not be able to use ranged weapons in duel gamemode.

Either, you’re a Vanguard who doesn’t know how to dodge projectiles, or you’ve never heard of things called shields. As an MAA/Knight you can take the larger shield and use it for blocking projectiles. Do things like jump up and down, crouch, etc. when you think they’re going to fire, as this will make it hard for them to hit your leg or something like that.

As a Vanguard you want to make sure you’re never running straight or almost straight at them. Take a weapon that can cut if possible, so that you don’t have to run directly at them when you’re going for the initial hit. Try to run past them, and swing then turn to hit them, this will make it hard for them to block you.

All in all, you should very, very rarely die from projectiles. It’ll happen due to luck, but you should win 4/5 archer fights if you’re average in skill level.

• @Curt:

Either, you’re a Vanguard who doesn’t know how to dodge projectiles, or you’ve never heard of things called shields. As an MAA/Knight you can take the larger shield and use it for blocking projectiles. Do things like jump up and down, crouch, etc. when you think they’re going to fire, as this will make it hard for them to hit your leg or something like that.

As a Vanguard you want to make sure you’re never running straight or almost straight at them. Take a weapon that can cut if possible, so that you don’t have to run directly at them when you’re going for the initial hit. Try to run past them, and swing then turn to hit them, this will make it hard for them to block you.

All in all, you should very, very rarely die from projectiles. It’ll happen due to luck, but you should win 4/5 archer fights if you’re average in skill level.

Did you read the OP? Dodging projectiles is not the problem. The problem is that archers with javelins have 100% chance to one-hit kill you when you’re almost in melee range with them. No matter how much you jump or weave around, you have to hit them for them to die. And to hit them, you have to get close to them.

• @Shasow:

Did you read the OP? Dodging projectiles is not the problem. The problem is that archers with javelins have 100% chance to one-hit kill you when you’re almost in melee range with them. No matter how much you jump or weave around, you have to hit them for them to die. And to hit them, you have to get close to them.

Look straight at the ground, zig-zag, and maybe even jump occasionally. Until you’re within striking range.

Sometimes they will get a lucky headshot and one-hit you. But if that is happening consistently, then you need to refine your strategies.

• @Unison:

@Shasow:

Look straight at the ground, zig-zag, and maybe even jump occasionally. Until you’re within striking range.

Sometimes they will get a lucky headshot and one-hit you. But if that is happening consistently, then you need to refine your strategies.

Not sure if you understood me, but I meant that they keep one-hitting me every time I get within striking range. Getting to them unhurt isn’t the problem.

• @Shasow:

How is an archer throwing a one-hit kill spear 1 foot away from you in duels balanced at all? Does anyone know?

All this does is make the duel a sudden death situation, if they miss they die in 1 hit. If they hit you then you might die in 1 hit.
    It is actually pretty hard to hit someone with the javelins. I have mained the javelin class but i use its melee with the javelin the most. The first javelin is best for throwing, but its melee reach is compromised. Pilum (last jav) has slightly more reach, but is slightly slower in melee and it has terrible drop on throwing, making it kinda usless for throwing unless your 5feet away, but then if you miss you die. The class is inflexible and requires you to play in only 1 way. If you try something different you die because any mistake or buggieness in the game and you die.
    So really if you die to a pellatist melee dont feel bad because they are pro.

• @Shasow:

@Unison:

@Shasow:

Not sure if you understood me, but I meant that they keep one-hitting me every time I get within striking range. Getting to them unhurt isn’t the problem.

You’re clearly getting kill-hungry at that range and stop weaving. When I played archer I would catch many shield knights who walked up to me then started swinging, allowing me to pop them in the face or chest as the shield was moved to the side. If someone walks up and shield bashes instead, it lowers the archer’s aim without making them vulnerable to a shot, or if they continue their zigzagging into a flanking maneuver as they swing, it’s a lot harder to land a shot. When you start your attack, veer off to the side or duck, then pull your aim back to the archer to increase the likelihood of a close range miss, at which point he’s a free kill.

If that doesn’t work, some people are just good man. You’ll have to make them waste their ammo and seize your opportunity during recovery phases when they cancel or throw.

• @Shasow:

@Curt:

Did you read my post? They can’t kill you if they can’t hit you. And they can only kill Archers/MAA in one hit with throwing spears, short of a headshot. If you think it’s 100% that they’ll hit you with a headshot using a throwing spear… lol, you must be playing some hardcore archers, and they honestly deserve to beat you if they can pull that off. Pulling off a headshot takes a lot of skill, even more so if they do it so frequently.

Again, you can dodge or block them decently. If you’re engaged in melee with them keep an eye on their spear, they have to raise it before throwing it. Once they’ve raised it you get to hit them for free, assuming you have a decent reaction time.

• @Avallac:

Allowing archers who spawn with 1 hit kill any class crossbows, loaded, along with 1 hit kill maa stupid shit javelins was the worst gamemode balancing I’ve ever seen. Its beyond idiotic. Those shitty ass tiny butthole maps are a death sentence against even a shitty ass player who has 4 attempts at 1 shotting you. Archers should not be able to use ranged weapons in duel gamemode.

You could say exactly this about a Vanguard with any 2h weapon vs a MAA or archer. The VG can also 1shot those two classes. You might say that this is a silly analogy, but have you tried being an archer vs a good VG with a 2h wep. ? one mistake and your head is splattered all over the place.
    The fact that the map is small is a good thing for the non-ranged classes because it means they have less of an opportunity to use their ranged advantage easily.

I play javelin in duels frequently, but i seldom throw the javelin at all because i aim to hone my melee skills. Still i feel your angst because i suffer the same problem, i’m not immune to those good archers or good javelin players, they manage to hit me around my shield even when i’m blocking, crouching, and moving about a little. I have no idea how they do it. I find the best way is to try and keep some distance between you and them, use terrain to your advantage and strafe just as you think they’re about to throw. Once they miss once or twice they don’t throw as much especially if you close the distance a little. Then you need to press the attack untill the duel is over, if they get more then a few paces on you and you’re not moving then expect a javelin in the face.
    I still don’t know how they manage this so consistently because i can’t do it and i main javelin and would have many, many, many, hours on it by now.

• @Shasow:

@Unison:

@Shasow:

Knight, towershield, run up with the shield and shield bash him for the win.