[MECH] Forced into defense position. How to get out?

• Im a pretty good dueler except I havent found a reliable way to get out of getting stuck in the defense position.

Seems like as I face better opponents, winner in a duel is usually decided by forcing the opponent into a defense situation by hitting first, then doing combo/feint mix attacks.

It seems like there is no way to get out of defense after the hit trade fix and slowed-down kick.

A good player will not let go his first blood go to waste. He will combo attack then feint out to land abother attack. He will launch the third combo and this time he might not feint because the opponent probably knows a feint is coming and would attack. It’s always 50/50 chance on this.

What is the best way to deal with a situation where you cant do anything but hope that you block one attack?

• Nothing, hence all the complaining about feints. You just have to make a good guess and take the initiative back.

• I do agree that right now the game favores heavily an offensive playstyle and even more now they made shields less useful. I disagree with this mentality, there is no reason to favor offensive playstyle that much. Back to your issue: feints are readable if:

1. your opponent isn’t facehugging you
    2. if he’s wielding a slow two-handed weapon.

This said, I am 100% for removing feinting with one-handers. It’s far too powerful.

• Wait for his mistake or even make him do it by managing distance. When he misses, counterattack. You can also suprise him with a kick / shield bash. It’s not easy, but possible.

• Ducking. Should you be able to pull off a duck your opponent will be in recovery allowing you to hit and go on the offensive. It’s a high risk maneuver and enemies may get wise to you on it, but it is a fantastic way to turn the tables.

• @Corsair:

Ducking. Should you be able to pull off a duck your opponent will be in recovery allowing you to hit and go on the offensive. It’s a high risk maneuver and enemies may get wise to you on it, but it is a fantastic way to turn the tables.

I agree to an extent.
    Whenever I try ducking at even ground and I look down, not holding my WASD keys I still get hit. So I advise ducking only if your opponent has the high ground. Also there is a signifikant delay between pressing the crouch button and the initial duck. So it´s even harder against one-handers.

• @funthomass:

I do agree that right now the game favores heavily an offensive playstyle and even more now they made shields less useful. I disagree with this mentality, there is no reason to favor offensive playstyle that much. Back to your issue: feints are readable if:

1. your opponent isn’t facehugging you
    2. if he’s wielding a slow two-handed weapon.

This said, I am 100% for removing feinting with one-handers. It’s far too powerful.

Thank you, finally there is a sensible player. Usually when the feint topic comes up people keep replying “FEINTING IS THE ONLY THING IN THE GAME THAT REQUIRES SKILL!!!” or “YOU’RE A BAD PLAYER IF YOU CAN’T BLOCK AFTER 100% OF ALL FEINTS!!! LEARN TO PLAY!!!” etc. It appears to me that all the players that played the game before the patch are gone, so really all that is left are feint-supporters. It’s not because 100% of the community supports feint, it’s because that the only players left on this game are feint-spammers.

• 4 tips

• Always attack first if you’re facing a good opponent
    • Try to duck only if you’re opponent is really close to you
    • Learn to parry attacks at the last moment
    • Learn to feint/cancel you’re attacks at the last moment

• @funthomass:

It may be hard to read, but if it gets removed how can a one hander knight ever defeat a two hander vanguard?

Without feint how can you ever get around his parry? And I think kick is more powerful than feint, of course its also harder to pull off.

• @Towe:

@funthomass:

It may be hard to read, but if it gets removed how can a one hander knight ever defeat a two hander vanguard?

Without feint how can you ever get around his parry? And I think kick is more powerful than feint, of course its also harder to pull off.

I´ve read this post viewtopic.php?f=85&t=9029
    a long time ago but didn´t pay any attention to it. But then I start applying those little techniques that will get you a hit even on a decent player 90% of the time and I´m also trying to practice it with 2-handers. I used to use feint a lot but now I really try not to and focus more on using my movement to correctly to get the hit. Wonder what I´m talking about?

1) Back-slashing

You run towards your opponent but not directly at him rather from either the right or the left side and you start your slash about 3-4 feet in front of the enemy. If you´re going from right you want to use normal slash, if you´re going from the left you simply use the alternate slash attack. What´s gonna happen is your enemy will expect the hit to come from the side BUT the weapon is actually gonna hit him almost in the back!

2) Jump-overhead strike

You run towards your opponent and start your overhead strike then jump at the right time usually when the swing is at 2/3 of its release. It´s hard to describe this but it should hit him from the top in the head and sometimes maybe from the back in the head.

Plus you can always parry-counter which catches still even me off guard :) . So there´s really not that many needs for feinting with one-handers…

• f10 will get you out of any situation that you do not want to be in in most cases.

• f10 takes 5s too long :|

• you get out by counter-attacking. Its basically the only way against heavy attacker. You need to deal some sort of damage to get them to back off, or at least stun them for a second to where you can either keep attacking, you become the attacker and them defender. Or, after landing the attack… you kite away as soon as the attack lands, if you don’t plan on keeping the attack going (which you should)

Defense is usually going to lose out to the attacker, if he keeps attacking, and all you do is continue to parry, you are going to run out of stamina first, or he is going to eventually feint and just strike you down. 100% defense is never good, eventually you have to attack. You can be really defensive to start, but you need to be smart in knowing when to attack and find your opening. If you never attack, you will not win the duel. Eventually, just get a parry-counter in there, a kick, something.

People also say kicks dont work, they are actually pretty effective. Try doing them after you parry when people expect you to counter-attack or attack. They can’t block the kick so throw it in there after a parry, etc.

• @Blackleader:

4 tips

• Always attack first if you’re facing a good opponent

A good opponent would not allow this to happen.

• starting your duel off with a feint to parry works wonders. Everyone wants the first hit, if you can convince them that your going to strike, just feint to parry, counter attack and combo, then go on the attack. Be one with the attack young squire!