Game=Awesome, Playerbase=Not So Much

• Only had this game a couple of weeks now, talked some of my friends and clannies into getting it, and we are having a blast playing it. For this to be an indie game is mighty impressive. We’ve been wishing for a game like this since the days when we would spend hours on end dueling with light sabers in Jedi Knight II. So first and formost thanks for a great game.

I’ve met some good folks in game, like any other game, but there are always bad apples. I’ve been gaming since I was 6 with a black n’ white screen and a pong unit, and I have never in my life encountered such a disrespectful, rude, and obnoxious playerbase in any other game. I couldn’t even begin to guess how many times I’ve been called nr, ft, etc. or told to go f’ myself in the last few days. It’s a tough crowd out there.

I may be considered old fashioned, but I come from a clan that’s been together for many years under one tag or another, and we have never tolerated such behavior on our servers, for any game that we play, mainly because of children being in the games (face it, no matter the game rating, children will still be playing), and we have always had a large player base that returns year after year because of that intolerance for abusive behavior.

Luckily, with the easily available dedicated server software available for this game, this issue can be taken care of, with a little organization. When we play this game, I host a server and can fill up to about 20 slots before any noticable lag takes shape. For now, we’ve been calling it NOOB Training. If you see it, and you can conduct yourself in a respectable manner, by all means hop in and join us. If your going to hurl racial slurs and F’bombs don’t bother, you won’t be there long. Also, don’t come in expecting to tell us how we have to play the game. If we are playing FFA, that is exactly what it means. You don’t get to order anyone there to use their fists. (This actually happens. Had someone tell me today that I have no friends because I wouldn’t fight with my fists in OUR server, along with some other choice words he had for me, rofl. He and his little posse won’t be returning.)
    This is not a clan invite, but it is an invite to come play if your looking for somewhere to play that abuse is not tolerated. I don’t run it 24/7 either, but it is up alot, so if your near me on the map, you should see it sometime.

• I just turn off chat altogether these days especially when dueling.

• That works too, if you don’t like to chat, but unfortunately, we do. So, we prefer to weed out the bad apples rather than let them force us to disable a feature that we like.

• People get mad sometimes. Can you blame them? This game can sometimes be a bit frustrating (especially when people feint spam)….

• @Shasow:

Can you blame them?

Yes, actually. It’s quite easy, given that they are entirely responsible for their behavior.

The playerbase is probably the main drawback of this game, as it is.

• @Shasow:

People get mad sometimes. Can you blame them? This game can sometimes be a bit frustrating (especially when people feint spam)….

Absolutely! This game can be infuriating at times. So can my boss at work, so can the president, so can the cops, etc. etc. But you don’t tell them to their face they are a stupid *** and go ****yourself! At least not and get away with it. Get the point?

• @Twelvepak:

@Shasow:

People get mad sometimes. Can you blame them? This game can sometimes be a bit frustrating (especially when people feint spam)….

Absolutely! This game can be infuriating at times. So can my boss at work, so can the president, so can the cops, etc. etc. But you don’t tell them to their face they are a stupid *** and go ****yourself! At least not and get away with it. Get the point?

Well, sure, but I don’t think the community is that bad. I have seen a lot worse. Sure, some people yell at you. So what? Does it really bother you that much? Just ignore them.

• @Shasow:

There’s a big difference between raging a bit (or as we call it on fighting games, being mad salty) and being a deliberately offensive jackass.

Unfortunately, you can find plenty of both groups of people on most servers. I can take the salt, hell, I occasionally cry enough tears to make a small salt mine myself. But, those people usually only rant briefly, maybe bitch about a mechanic and then they go back to playing the game. That doesn’t account for the huge number of people who make it their goal in life to to harass and demean you for the next 10 or so minutes, not to mention the classic inflammatory trolls you find all over.

At the end of the day, you’ll find it on any online game, especially one as ultra-violent and competitive as Chivalry. I’m sure to some being an aggressive prick is just part of the game. In a way though, I would have to agree that, whether it’s just my own biased perception or not, Chivalry does seem like one of the worst in-game communities I’ve experienced.

• @Nyarlathotep:

@Shasow:

There’s a big difference between raging a bit (or as we call it on fighting games, being mad salty) and being a deliberately offensive jackass.

Unfortunately, you can find plenty of both groups of people on most servers. I can take the salt, hell, I occasionally cry enough tears to make a small salt mine myself. But, those people usually only rant briefly, maybe bitch about a mechanic and then they go back to playing the game. That doesn’t account for the huge number of people who make it their goal in life to to harass and demean you for the next 10 or so minutes, not to mention the classic inflammatory trolls you find all over.

At the end of the day, you’ll find it on any online game, especially one as ultra-violent and competitive as Chivalry. I’m sure to some being an aggressive prick is just part of the game. In a way though, I would have to agree that, whether it’s just my own biased perception or not, Chivalry does seem like one of the worst in-game communities I’ve experienced.

Weird, I haven’t encountered people like that. I see “mad salty” (I really don’t like that term) people every game, but they don’t really bother me.The worst I’ve encountered had to be some guy spamming sounds through voice chat. Maybe it has something to do with me only playing on duel servers… although there is this one guy I often see and calls me out for absolutely hating feints.

• @Shasow:

Weird, I haven’t encountered people like that. I see “mad salty” (I really don’t like that term) people every game, but they don’t really bother me.The worst I’ve encountered had to be some guy spamming sounds through voice chat. Maybe it has something to do with me only playing on duel servers… although there is this one guy I often see and calls me out for absolutely hating feints.

Having played on both I can easily say that the team game servers are a hell of a lot worse. Duel servers seem pretty chill most of the time besides one or two people complaining. On the team servers though… most of the time it gets really crazy. People screaming at the opposition for killing them, screaming at their own teammates for killing them… and then it devolves into bitter personal battles that no longer involve the game anymore for all intents and purposes.

And then half the time there’s just someone spouting the most racist, sexist, homophobic, religiously/politically insensitive crap for the specific purpose of riling people up. It’s almost worst than Trade Chat was on Warcraft.

The Will Ferrel “Well, that escalated quickly” meme is applicable pretty much every few minutes.

• While I don’t think it is one of the worst communities out there (popular mmorpg and MOBA crowds would easily win that) it is really not nice to have players talk about how noob are the others or how they should play the game, spamming chat ‘sword vanguard noobz’ until everyone switch weapons, classes (I wasn’t playing a vanguard if anyone wonders) and similiar.

• Well, buddy, that’s just the internet. There won’t ever be a game with a good playerbase because there will always be people who swear and insult you for whatever the fuck they want. There are some people out there still just being polite, but with the 21st Century of internet and anonymity who needs to care who they insult, since the backlash or punishment for it is minimal. The best way, in my opinion, to deal with it, is to just do that. Deal with it. The same ideology that makes them think they can just insult anyone they wish should also be the reason why you just shouldn’t care.

“Internet fights are like participating in the special olympics. Even if you win, you’re still retarded”

• @Nyarlathotep:

That’s pretty much exactly how I draw the line when modding.

Raging and letting off steam, as well as different ways people express themself, is absolutely fine. This is an 18+ game after all, letting go a loud expletive for whatever reason is expected, especially in such an aggressive, immersive and brutal game as Chiv.

HOWEVER that still gives NO excuse to direct that anger at someone else. Soon as it becomes targetted on someone, it is abuse, and should not be tolerated.

Fortunately there are multiple methods available to deal with this. But yeah I agree it is annoying that a lot of the younger generation seem to think it’s all fine. Majority of em need a good slap.

Private servers with an active array of Admins can help keep most of them clean, it is just a pity in this respect, that Chiv was a victim of it’s own success in becoming popular enough to draw in some of the wrong crowd.

It’s fantasic watching someone hurl abuse at me though on an Official server, then seeing what they do when I login as Administrator heh. Some still do it anyway, then slip back in later on after the 5 min ban (from being kicked) has ended. They’re usually a lot quieter then though…

• @BobT36:

That’s pretty much exactly how I draw the line when modding.

Raging and letting off steam, as well as different ways people express themself, is absolutely fine. This is an 18+ game after all, letting go a loud expletive for whatever reason is expected, especially in such an aggressive, immersive and brutal game as Chiv.

HOWEVER that still gives NO excuse to direct that anger at someone else. Soon as it becomes targetted on someone, it is abuse, and should not be tolerated.

Fortunately there are multiple methods available to deal with this. But yeah I agree it is annoying that a lot of the younger generation seem to think it’s all fine. Majority of em need a good slap.

Private servers with an active array of Admins can help keep most of them clean, it is just a pity in this respect, that Chiv was a victim of it’s own success in becoming popular enough to draw in some of the wrong crowd.

It’s fantasic watching someone hurl abuse at me though on an Official server, then seeing what they do when I login as Administrator heh. Some still do it anyway, then slip back in later on after the 5 min ban (from being kicked) has ended. They’re usually a lot quieter then though…

As a suggestion, you mods could be a bit more transparent about how you go about more significant punishments like day/week long bans and permanent bans. What I mean by that is something in the vein of implementing a counter embedded into the website that lists how many users have been banned from official servers (keep their identities anonymous though) and examples of what kind of language/behavior got them banned. You could also post that information in the MOTD for official servers.

Just making your presence more known might help to scare a few people into line, without actually requiring to be their constantly. ;)

• @Nyarlathotep:

As a suggestion, you mods could be a bit more transparent about how you go about more significant punishments like day/week long bans and permanent bans. What I mean by that is something in the vein of implementing a counter embedded into the website that lists how many users have been banned from official servers (keep their identities anonymous though) and examples of what kind of language/behavior got them banned. You could also post that information in the MOTD for official servers.

Just making your presence more known might help to scare a few people into line, without actually requiring to be their constantly. ;)

I see where you’re coming from, but that would be an absolute arse to develop and keep up to date heh, and I don’t think many would look at it / be bothered.

Also I’m happy to report I’ve personally had not had to ban a single player yet (in-game), and I’ve only had to use kick a few times. :)

Wish we got things like admin slap / immolate, without having to resort to straight up kicking to give someone a more “encouraged” warning though heh.

• @SharpshotSid:

Well, buddy, that’s just the internet. There won’t ever be a game with a good playerbase because there will always be people who swear and insult you for whatever the fuck they want. There are some people out there still just being polite, but with the 21st Century of internet and anonymity who needs to care who they insult, since the backlash or punishment for it is minimal. The best way, in my opinion, to deal with it, is to just do that. Deal with it. The same ideology that makes them think they can just insult anyone they wish should also be the reason why you just shouldn’t care.

“Internet fights are like participating in the special olympics. Even if you win, you’re still retarded”

Thats not true. You dont have any of that in Rise Of Flight game.

To answer the OP, the playerbase really isnt that bad, from my experience. Iv seen games way worst, like World of tank.

• @Twelvepak:

@Shasow:

Welcome to the Internet? I mean, really.

• I’ve also noticed the language is far more abusive, than other games I’ve been playing. I’m quite naive so I’ve come to think it’s because of the nature of the game. Timing is everything and I think the server’s is having a tough time figuring out who killed who, taking ping time into consideration.

If two players are fighting and both have 50+ ping. Player A strikes and it’ll take 50+50 msec for player B to seeing the animation. If a lagspike, tcp checksum error occurs, server would have to correct it and players often feel the game is being unfair. That’s understandable. There’s a mismatch between what the player sees and what actually happens, and that’s hard to tolerate when being killed by someone who’s missing their stab or overhead visually.

I think the only way to handle is to quickly ban obnoxius people for a period of time. That may not cure them, but it’ll make the servers chat more peaceful ;)

• The game can be horribly frustrating, especially for newer players. Let people vent their rage, you don’t have to get upset because of words on your monitor.

• Funnily enough i have never seen a racist remark in all my play on Chiv. Plenty of swearing, but no racism.

I don’t see making racist comments as being an acceptable part of the venting process.