We need an announcer!

• I love this game! The game play is really fun despite a few small flaws, no online fps is as engaging in my eyes, it’s superb! Another aspect of this game I love, which makes it so much more superior to po-faced alternatives like the (still excellent) Mount and Blade Warband and (The much less excellent) Wars of the Roses. It has such a Monty Python-esque irreverent humor to it, from objectives of killing filthy peasants, to the hilarious and charmingly goofy voice commands.

With Wars getting Brian Blessed for an announcer, I think it would be great to see something similar in Chivalry. The announcer (herald in this case) should be goofy and over the top, and I’d love to hear him screeching Multiple kills! Hark, High slaughter! etc etc.

By this I mean a commentator in the mold of classics such as Quake, Unreal Tournament and TF2, but imbued with the over the top humor of Chivalry! Such an announcer should be optional for servers of course, and easy to turn off if the people on that server didn’t like announcers, or found them irritating, but it would be a great little feature to have, especially on FFA.

• There is an announcer. Haven’t you played Team Objective yet? :P

• They announce objectives, true, but what I’m asking for is something in the style of Unreal, a commentator that notes killstreaks, certain types of kills (such as kicking somebody off a high place) etc etc

• @Flemp:

They announce objectives, true, but what I’m asking for is something in the style of Unreal, a commentator that notes killstreaks, certain types of kills (such as kicking somebody off a high place) etc etc

Please, no. Maybe as a server option at best but I feel that it’d break the immersion of the game too much

• I’d quite like the option available in the main menu, that way there’s little serverside fiddling and plus those players that don’t like the feature can simply disable it. I could easily imagine this awesome feature… oh you killed yourself? “COURT JESTER!!”

• Client-side option would be best, off by default.

Anywho, moved to Ideas & Suggestions as this is a suggestion that’s been suggested before. :)

• Something like that in Arena would be awesome.

“THAT AGATHA VANGUARD HAS ACHIEVE 5 KILLS IN THE ROW!”

• Hm, what about the characters themselves commenting the events? With their appropriate voices of course. That could be fun.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Hm, what about the characters themselves commenting the events? With their appropriate voices of course. That could be fun.

Something like Team Fortress 2 automated responses? I can get behind that.

• @SharpshotSid:

Something like Team Fortress 2 automated responses? I can get behind that.

I vote Ellen Mclain!

• Yep, when you kill 2 people in one blow, your character in the voice of his class shouts “double kill” or possibly something more immersive (I suppose there would be some variation, so those easter-eggy Unreal lines would be a pleasant surprise). There is somewhere even a discussion about punishing teamkills and pointing out the perpetrator (by reflective team damage, by facepalm animation,…) while I think it would be more than appropriate when a character that commits a teamkill shouts out something like a team version of their F-word (sure would be “FIDDLESTICKS!” for Agatha), so that everybody around him knows.

There are plenty of possibilities but I have no idea how they are feasible. Encoding seems easy (probably) but the additional voice acting might be difficult.

• Headshot: “Oh you didn’t have much use for that anyway” ~Agathian Archer

can see it now…
    rather hear it in the archer voice.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Yep, when you kill 2 people in one blow, your character in the voice of his class shouts “double kill” or possibly something more immersive

Not sure how an announcer is immersive lol.

What if your trebuchet shot lands on 2 allies and 3 enemies. Maybe the announcer shouts

“Triple kill !!! …. but you still fucked up dumb ass”

• as for the announcer. i’m not a big fan, it seems like it would ruin the experience. I’m all for the characters commenting on their kills, but i don’t think anyone cares how many kills so and so has, when they are busy pushing the ram to the gates.

Maybe something for duel mode, since its arena type play, but outside duels, i’d want the announcer permanently turned off.

• The announcer’s voice could be Dr.Nick!

• I think this would best be applied to FFA, and MAYBE LTS/TDM. I can’t really see any applications for duel mode.

FFA would probably benefit from this the most and nobody gives a shit about FFA anyway so immersion breaking killstreak announcements wouldn’t be a big deal. And while the musical queue is personally sufficient to me, it might be nice to have “One Minute Remaining!”, “20 seconds remaining!”, and “10 seconds remaining!” announcements too.

LTS could have the killstreak announcement as well as a “Only one Mason/Agathian remains!” announcement.

TDM could also have the killstreak announcement and would benefit from a “The Mason/Agathians are out of reinforcements!” announcement.

CTF could maybe use a background voice shouting “THEY’VE CAPTURED OUR FLAG!” or “WE’VE GOT THEIR FLAG!”

I agree however that they would be too jarring and out of place for Team Objective mode.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Yep, when you kill 2 people in one blow, your character in the voice of his class shouts “double kill” or possibly something more immersive

@gregcau:

Not sure how an announcer is immersive lol.

Well, it would not be the announcer, it would be the player character who did that shouting out loudly. In case of a really sophisticated system, the player character in question would comment and some player characters near the action too.

What if your trebuchet shot lands on 2 allies and 3 enemies. Maybe the announcer shouts

In this case:

trebuchet-operator automatic response: “Fiddlesticks”
    near-action allies autoromatic response: “What an dumb ass”

I think this would best be applied to FFA,

Yep, FFA could have its special external announcer. Seems legit.

How can we push this shit through?

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Yep, when you kill 2 people in one blow, your character in the voice of his class shouts “double kill”

Usually if certaint conditions are met, the characters in TF2 shout automaticly. The same could be applied to Chivalry. Conditions could be

• Killing more than 2 Enemies in under 20 seconds

• Killing more than 4 Enemies in under 20 seconds

• 5 Kill streak

• Destroying a pavise

• Kill Assist

• Domination(several kills on same opponent with him killing you)

• Class-specific domination

• Revenge Kill (Killing enemy dominating you)

• Victory / Draw / Defeat

• Captureing Flag/Hill

• Completing Objective

• Pushing wagon

• Stagnating/blocked wagon

Each class gets more lines, just providing the feel or a more active or crowded battlefield, other than just the sound of plate clanking and swords being parried with the occasional “Ow!”. Just imagine your Mason Knight yelling “That was -my- kill!” when he gets a kill assist. Or your Agatha MaA telling those puny archers; “Your little shields aren’t going to save you”

That’s just my suggestion

• I personally really like the Mason Announcer that we already have. Something about his voice just shouting at you from a distance to get in there and slay those bloody Agathian’s feels really cool.

But Brian Blessed announcer would be elder god tier without a doubt.

• Holy shit. What I would give for UT announcers for kills.