No more Chivalry. I'm done.

• Reasons:

This forum is pitiful. It constantly bemoans one aspect of the game or another without looking at the game as a whole.

This community is pitiful. It is an indie title made by a small team, yet people talk about it and play it with the seriousness and extremity of discipline that is reserved for actual competitive games, not this buggy mess of a game we call Chivalry.

I ca understand people wanting to be the best player on a big name title like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Halo or Counterstrike, but Chivalry?

Chivalry is supposed to be a big, goofy bloody mess. You’re supposed to laugh when you die, not angrily call each other expletives. But it seems that’s all this community is now. There is nothing worse than seeing such a humorous game be turned into something people take so seriously, to the detriment of everyone.

It’s just gotten to the point where every time I load it up, I get frustrated at every single element of this piece of software and the people who use it. It’s at best a B-rate game being played and exploited by C-rate players.

Remember how much fun it was when you first purchased it, didn’t really know what you were doing, but went around lopping heads off and having a blast? Then you slowly got acquainted with the game, got to learn some of the more effective techniques, and started being a better player?

And then you started playing against other people like you who have played enough hours to be pretty good at the game. The matches became more competitive, you started swearing more in the chatbox and learning dirtier techniques like face-hugging, feint abuse and RMB spam, just to get a competitive edge.

Well that my friends, is where the game broke. The balance achieved in Chivalry is completely lost as players become more skilled. The spirit of friendliness gets thrown out the window in exchange for the strive to be the best. As a result people begin exploiting less refined game mechanics and making the game miserable for the rest of us.

TL;DR

Too many people taking this game too seriously.

I am not removing it from my hard drive yet though because I really want to see how Bushido turns out.

• Well written and I agree on all points.

I wish Bushido would let me consult them on their combat system though.

This community is pitiful. It is an indie title made by a small team, yet people talk about it and play it with the seriousness and extremity of discipline that is reserved for actual competitive games, not this buggy mess of a game we call Chivalry.

Pretty much this.

• Not sure I understand the correlation between the forum and the game. Its not a MMO so you can leave and come back to chop heads whenever you like.

• Gregcau, no offense, but you are exactly what I’m talking about here.

See there’s only one day of difference between our join dates?

See how I’ve got less than 15 posts, but you have over 700?

This game does not warrant 700+ forum posts.

You are representative of the bigger problem with this community.

People are taking Chivalry too seriously.

• @Uncle_Uzi:

Gregcau, no offense, but you are exactly what I’m talking about here.

See there’s only one day of difference between our join dates?

See how I’ve got less than 15 posts, but you have over 700?

This game does not warrant 700+ forum posts.

You are representative of the bigger problem with this community.

People are taking Chivalry too seriously.

Maybe I am more sociable than you?

So you would be happier if fewer people were on the forums, with fewer posts, that would make your enjoyment of the game so much better.

oh dear.

• @gregcau:

Maybe I am more sociable than you?

Dude I didn’t mean to insult you, I’m just pointing out that you post count means that you have been on this forum every day, posting multiple times a day, since you purchased it. How many hours of playtime do you have?

I’m going to admit, I’m not bad at this game. I’ve played 56 hours. 7 out of 10 times I would end up on the top half of the score board, a few times ended up on top.

But that rarely happens anymore. I get home from work around 10:30-11:00 in the evening and I like to drink some beers while playing games and unwinding. For a few weeks Chivalry was my game of choice. It was fun to chug after every death, and hope next life went better.

That doesn’t happen anymore. Whereas most players used to log onto Chivalry thinking, “Let’s swing swords and axes at each other and have some fun” the majority now logs on thinking “How can exploit this game’s mechanics where they are weakest and beat every single opponent I fight?” without even realizing it.

That attitude belongs in a different game. When people play like that, Chivalry is dead. ;)

• @Uncle_Uzi:

Dude I didn’t mean to insult you, I’m just pointing out that you post count means that you have been on this forum every day, posting multiple times a day, since you purchased it.

How many hours of playtime do you have?

302 and I don’t take the game seriously. I happen to like the game though, flaws and all and I like supporting peoples posts when I am procrastinating.

@Uncle_Uzi:

That doesn’t happen anymore. Whereas most players used to log onto Chivalry thinking, “Let’s swing swords and axes at each other and have some fun” the majority now logs on thinking “How can exploit this game’s mechanics where they are weakest and beat every single opponent I fight?” without even realizing it.

That attitude belongs in a different game. When people play like that, Chivalry is dead. ;)

Well that is a more tangible reason than your OP to be disillusioned.

• @MUSASHI:

What? You want them to listen to you about combat system? You firmly believe holdable parry is the answer to combat system, which is perfectly fine as it is right now. Just because you are losing to feints doesnt mean the devs need to change it.

Also, what kind of qualification do you even have to be part of the development process of Bushido? Do you program? Do you draw? Do you model 3d? Do you edit sounds?

You are not even a pro player and even if you are, you have nothing to offer without any game design experience. Every one of your post tells me that you are delusional and arrogant.

• Gregcau, I figured it out. That’s why you have 700 posts. You post single sentences and words. And you try to say you’re “more sociable” than me. :?

That’s not the point of forums, you know. I bet you would have a much more fulfilling time online if you went to places like Reddit or 4chan. Forums are for big posts that bring up multiple points and require you to read more. At least that’s how they should be ideally.

I digress. 302 hours. God Damn. I’ve had Skyrim for like 15 months and have something like 465 hours logged.

Is Chivalry the only game you play? I’m kind of hoping you say yes…

• @boomandvibe:

@MUSASHI:

What? You want them to listen to you about combat system? You firmly believe holdable parry is the answer to combat system, which is perfectly fine as it is right now. Just because you are losing to feints doesnt mean the devs need to change it.

Also, what kind of qualification do you even have to be part of the development process of Bushido? Do you program? Do you draw? Do you model 3d? Do you edit sounds?

You are not even a pro player and even if you are, you have nothing to offer without any game design experience. Every one of your post tells me that you are delusional and arrogant.

Wow relax dude. You’re a level 46 if I’m to believe your signature. The only delusion here is that you happen to jive really well with the game’s mechanics, better than most in fact, and therefore believe the game is really good and everything the developers do is spot-on amazing incredible.

Get your head out of your rear-end. You are the arrogant one.

Musashi seems to really enjoy Japanese stuff, perhaps he really knows quite a bit about the history and style of fighting in medieval Japan. He’s allowed to say he wants some input. It’s up to Bushido’s dev team to decide that, not you.

God this is so off topic.

• Just because you are losing to feints doesnt mean the devs need to change it.

I don’t lose to feints because I am one of the premiere feinters. I’ve played Competitive Chiv, and I’m not a pub. I block 50/50 of any feint attempts thrown at me.

I’ll say this again for the millionth time. Just because I think a mechanic is stupid doesn’t mean I don’t use it or lose because of it. I’m looking at it from an overall design issue and am thinking and suggesting ways of making it better not complete removal like other anti-feinters. Most of my offense relies on feinting, so I don’t gain anything by suggesting an overhaul.

The combat system in Chivalry is in no way conducive to skillful gameplay. It is infact a game where you get on for a few hours and LMB spam and laugh at the many ways in which you can behead someone. This doesn’t mean I dont like the game, just that people who believe Chiv is the holy grail of this genre are dumb.

There is little room for a good player to get any better at Chiv because the mechanics limit them.

• @Uncle_Uzi:

Forums are for big posts that bring up multiple points and require you to read more. At least that’s how they should be ideally.

I digress. 302 hours. God Damn. I’ve had Skyrim for like 15 months and have something like 465 hours logged.

I think you take the forums too seriously…

And yes its the only game I play.

Now I looked at your other posts, lol I regret replying to your original post…

• It seems Mr post creator, that you are mostly arguing against yourself here.

My game experience vary, sometimes I find super cool servers where I have loads of fun. I almost always laugh, even when I get TKed by an idiot :)
    As far as I’m concerned they are some very good people in this community!
    I remember playing with a random guy that was always responding to my taunts, and we were having a whole conversation just with the sounds ahah.

I have to agree that a lot of people whine and hate, especially on the forums here, but you just have to ignore them, believe me, it’s easy; plus, they will probably play a few more hours and go to another game, because Chivalry requires patience, and a good resistance to frustration.

You may leave and rest your thoughts. But I’m sure you’ll come back and have fun with us.

• @gregcau:

@Uncle_Uzi:

Forums are for big posts that bring up multiple points and require you to read more. At least that’s how they should be ideally.

I think you take the forums too seriously…

And yes its the only game I play.

Now I looked at your other posts, lol I regret replying to your original post…

God this forum is a cesspit.

Dude, listen to me. If you want to spend all of your time playing this game and posting on this forum, that’s fine (a little sad, but not outrageous). But for goodness sake, I’m telling you that it’s just silly to spend that much effort typing when you’re talking to only a handful of people at any given time, especially when those people log onto this forum looking for meaty threads with members who actually post with some substance.

I’ve figured it out everyone… This is the kind of game that’s only really marketable and will sell to a select group of niche gamers, and of those who made the decision to purchase it, there are even fewer who decide to go to the forums. And of those few, there are even less capable of coming across as respectable adults who can articulate reasoning effectively.

Thank you Gregcau, you have single-handedly turned me off from this forum entirely.

• @boomandvibe:

@MUSASHI:

Please, people like you should just stay out of discussions. Especially here.

On-topic:

I’ve played about 470 hours. When I started playing this game I was like “OMG YEAH I LOVE IT”, but then I woke up. I still like the game, because there is no other game, that requires a lot of practice to be good. I don’t like games like CoD or BattleField.

So I went to this game and had some really great fun. But now, there are so many high level people, that don’t understand fun or forgot what it means while playing Chivalry too much.

I am only level 39 with my plenty hours but I don’t care. Sometimes I play seriously to show myself “I can lead the scoreboard” but most time I am just running around with Steam friends.

Btw, I started with 0 friends playing CMW. Now there are 37 Steam friends playing it. It’s much fun with them. But without? Never.

Reasons are the following:

1. FPS generation coming in CMW and want to get every kill, ending up in gang rapes, backstabbing, insulting other people.

2. Clans ruining pub games (hello RK and IO).
    I don’t know many people that are happy about it, when those two named clans are joining.

3. Annoying game mechanics
    Maybe I should describe this point.
    Why shall I use a shortbow? Useless. Why any javelin? Useless. Why is there feinting without a cooldown (no, I am actually not playing a MMO)? Why are shields useless now?
    Why is defending the most TO maps so damn hard? On pubs near to impossible (if the attackers know what they are doing)?

I want to have fun in that (any) game - sometimes we have - but most time there are these entire teams running for one guy to get the last kill (LTS), then the onehanded feinters, which is just about guessing and when I see the “Feinting Poll” I just want to quit these forums.

Feinting is fine? Never. Javelins are better now? They were better before. No point in using heavy javelin now. Actually, there are 3-5 useless primary weapons for an archer. Not talking about the other classes now.

I hope, that the game will go better with future update, in my opinion the content update was just crap. I’ve talked a lot with other people about it and I don’t like the new animations, the javelin changes, the bearded axe. Alternate swings being faster, animations bugs and so on.

• The problem here is not how seriously people take the game, but what the motivation for their “seriousness” is. The problem is arrogant jackasses who mistake their need to be the best at everything with being a true (read: decent, respectful) competitive individual.

Highly competitive activities have been shown to be far more effective at inducing high levels of aggression in people than other stimulus like hyper-violence. What it comes down to is that most people are not equipped with the necessary mental discipline to deal with those high levels of aggression. If the average person was, professional sports wouldn’t be so damned exclusive. In other words, they don’t know how to be a “good loser” and just end up raging or making excuses for their inferiority.

Ironically enough this entire thread is just another symptom of taking the game and the meta you’ve constructed about the community in your head, way, way too seriously.

This thread is useless and the posts within it are largely useless personal bickering.

• 2. Clans ruining pub games (hello RK and IO).
    I don’t know many people that are happy about it, when those two named clans are joining.

The thing is, when we remove our tags, no one complains at all, but if we join with a tag on, suddenly we are called ‘pub bashers’ etc when all we’re doing is playing the game for the same reasons you are, a bit of fun.

• @Martin:

The thing is, when we remove our tags, no one complains at all, but if we join with a tag on, suddenly we are called ‘pub bashers’ etc when all we’re doing is playing the game for the same reasons you are, a bit of fun.

Well, I have no problem if a clan is joining to have some fun. But neither the IO nor the RK members I’ve met want to have fun. They just want to win, regardless how.

A few days ago, we joined an empty server and invited our Steam friends, only 30+ ranks, THAT was really fun. Then IO and pb joined. Fun was gone.

• @MUSASHI:

Just because you are losing to feints doesnt mean the devs need to change it.

I don’t lose to feints because I am one of the premiere feinters. I’ve played Competitive Chiv, and I’m not a pub. I block 50/50 of any feint attempts thrown at me.

I’ll say this again for the millionth time. Just because I think a mechanic is stupid doesn’t mean I don’t use it or lose because of it. I’m looking at it from an overall design issue and am thinking and suggesting ways of making it better not complete removal like other anti-feinters. Most of my offense relies on feinting, so I don’t gain anything by suggesting an overhaul.

The combat system in Chivalry is in no way conducive to skillful gameplay. It is infact a game where you get on for a few hours and LMB spam and laugh at the many ways in which you can behead someone. This doesn’t mean I dont like the game, just that people who believe Chiv is the holy grail of this genre are dumb.

There is little room for a good player to get any better at Chiv because the mechanics limit them.

Compeitive Chivalry Medieval Warfare or Age of Chivalry? Playing with a clan a few times doesnt give you the title of competitive player. Then I am a competitive player at more than 10 games.

Anyways the combat is fine. Yes you eventually get the idea of ‘combat is too simple’ but what other fps out there has more complex system than chiv? They are usually point-and-click. It’s still way more complex than Age of Chivalry was. If you want more competitiveness, then you should play M&B Warband.

Someone said high level players think that combat is fine. Im fine with the combat system not because i played this game for a while, but because i learn to adapt instead of crying about every little thing in any game.

Chivalry was no meant to be a complex game. Go play Mount and blade if you want that. Chivalry is exactly what you see it as: hack and slash no brainer melee fps. It wasnt never meant to be the holy grail of modern fps. Devs have succeeded in making a game that new players can easily join and have a good time.

• @Nyarlathotep:

The problem here is not how seriously people take the game, but what the motivation for their “seriousness” is. The problem is arrogant jackasses who mistake their need to be the best at everything with being a true (read: decent, respectful) competitive individual.

Highly competitive activities have been shown to be far more effective at inducing high levels of aggression in people than other stimulus like hyper-violence. What it comes down to is that most people are not equipped with the necessary mental discipline to deal with those high levels of aggression. If the average person was, professional sports wouldn’t be so damned exclusive. In other words, they don’t know how to be a “good loser” and just end up raging or making excuses for their inferiority.

Ironically enough this entire thread is just another symptom of taking the game and the meta you’ve constructed about the community in your head, way, way too seriously.

This thread is useless and the posts within it are largely useless personal bickering.

I agree with everything this guy said. People lack mental discipline. Pussification as some people call it.

This man is a scholar. Give him knighthood or something