Question around high-level play with fast weapons

• Hi all,

I’m far from a Chivalry expert, so I was wondering if I could get the opinion of some of the more experienced Chiv players out there.

I’ve recently switched to Vanguard from MAA, and am having a devil of a time blocking certain players when they use faster weapons than I am. From a Vanguard perspective, it seems that the most successful MAA strategy that nets you the highest K/D ratio is to jump into the enemy’s face and spam LMB non-stop. When I try doing this as an MAA myself, however, I fail miserably.

My question therefore is twofold:

1. How do MAA’s who spam LMB get so many kills? What “trick” am I missing here? One thing I have noticed is they seem to jerk around a lot - are they randomly moving the mouse so it’s impossible to block maybe?

2. How can I, as a Vanguard, survive once an MAA is up in my face? I have huge difficulty blocking certain weapons - axes in particular seem impossible to block - and once they’ve got that first hit in on you, it seems like it’s game over as you can’t do anything while you’re flinching, and by the time you’re done flinching they’re already hitting you again.

3. Is this how high level play goes down? LMB spam from fast weapons?

I’m getting rather frustrated, and figured I could use some outside help! Thanks in advance :D

• 1.- i see they dodge-in between my swings, also the use some kind of exploit to ignore your parry/block

2.- keep them at range also try to stab them when they dodge-in to make a MAA brochette.

• @DifferentFrogs:

1. How do MAA’s who spam LMB get so many kills? What “trick” am I missing here? One thing I have noticed is they seem to jerk around a lot - are they randomly moving the mouse so it’s impossible to block maybe?

Spectate some higher rank MAA players. You will notice many of them doing exactly the same combination perfectly each time. Repeating and repeating to the level of milliseconds. They set macros for their attacks.

• @DifferentFrogs:

2. How can I, as a Vanguard, survive once an MAA is up in my face? I have huge difficulty blocking certain weapons - axes in particular seem impossible to block - and once they’ve got that first hit in on you, it seems like it’s game over as you can’t do anything while you’re flinching, and by the time you’re done flinching they’re already hitting you again.

Normally if you block one attack from a face raper, it’ll throw them off (from my experience anyway). The main thing is that the amount you need to move your mouse once they’re that close increases significantly. It can take some practice, but once you learn how far you need to throw your mouse to block, it becomes almost second nature. For instance, if an MAA side swings whilst right in your face, you pretty much need to spin 90° left/right to block the attack.

If they do get a hit on you, don’t panic. My best strategy as an MAA is to make them start panic blocking, in which I just time a swing in between and repeat. Take one hit if it means you’ll be ready to block the next one.

As for getting them ‘out of yo grills,’ I’d say that depends on the technique of the other player. Sometimes you could bat them out by countering with a side swing, or alt. swing to confuse them. Some people recommend kicking, but I find it leaves me ridiculously open.

Of course, this is just based on my experiences. There’s a large amount of ways to play this game, so it’s hard to be ready for every opponent.

• @Lann094:

@DifferentFrogs:

Normally if you block one attack from a face raper, it’ll throw them off (from my experience anyway). The main thing is that the amount you need to move your mouse once they’re that close increases significantly. It can take some practice, but once you learn how far you need to throw your mouse to block, it becomes almost second nature. For instance, if an MAA side swings whilst right in your face, you pretty much need to spin 90° left/right to block the attack.

If they do get a hit on you, don’t panic. My best strategy as an MAA is to make them start panic blocking, in which I just time a swing in between and repeat. Take one hit if it means you’ll be ready to block the next one.

As for getting them ‘out of yo grills,’ I’d say that depends on the technique of the other player. Sometimes you could bat them out by countering with a side swing, or alt. swing to confuse them. Some people recommend kicking, but I find it leaves me ridiculously open.

Of course, this is just based on my experiences. There’s a large amount of ways to play this game, so it’s hard to be ready for every opponent.

This is the only reasonable post in this thread. Thank you Lann.

As directly relates to the topic, move your camera before clicking parry rather than clicking and then moving. This avoids the hard-capped speed of camera movement so that you can quickly flick your camera out to the side and then block the strike, because the closer your opponent is, the more you have to block wide to still be looking at the tip of the weapon.

• Switch to Dane Axe and get in their face. Works for me. 8-)

• @Lann094:

It can take some practice, but once you learn how far you need to throw your mouse to block, it becomes almost second nature. For instance, if an MAA side swings whilst right in your face, you pretty much need to spin 90° left/right to block the attack.

Raising your FoV may help here. You’ll have to move it a lot less. :)

• I think you are mistaking ‘hitting around the block’ with some trick.

MAAs are fast so it is easy for them to run around you and land a blow to your side. Remember that there is desync issue in the game. Your opponents’ position, it is not how it looks. They are actually at your side even if they seem to be in front of you.

There is no other way than turn 70-90 degrees to your side depending on an attack. Stab, normal sideswing, alt overhead - you have to turn to your left much more. Opposite side for the rest. Stabs are not going through blocks because of hitbox glitching but because players do not realize that enemies go around and stab at your side.

Most pub MAAs swing as soon as you get in range so you can choose to hit trade with them. Most MAAs will get scared and put themselves in a defense position.

As vanguard you could swing first at a distance farther than 1-hander.

Against a skilled MAA, it will be hard to get the first blow or even a trading blow with a slower weapon. Most unsuspecting skilled MAAs will stay out of your attack range then attack you as soon as you miss. In this case, do a missing attack then queue combo, which you can immediately feint out and block, eliminating the recovery time.

Another thing you must do if you want to win, is to be on the offensive side. Before either of you engage, show your opponent that you have every intention of killing him. Do this by feinting a few swing and running around zig zag.

In this game, you lose if you are tying to come up with some speciap tactic. It makes you slow. You gotta be fast and keep attacking.

• @BobT36:

Raising your FoV may help here. You’ll have to move it a lot less. :)

Hm, I guess I’ve grown so accustomed to the default FoV, I couldn’t imagine changing it. My blocking has become efficient enough that I can essentially block subconsciously, so it just takes practice really.

• @Peacerer:

@DifferentFrogs:

Spectate some higher rank MAA players. You will notice many of them doing exactly the same combination perfectly each time. Repeating and repeating to the level of milliseconds. They set macros for their attacks.

Lol at this

• Don’t panic if they score a hit on you. Keep calm and block the next attack, and fire your counter. This forces them to parry. Now its time to dance. Or flee. Review the situation fast. Is he scared, then feint stab into slash to catch him while doing lateral dodge.

Combo some missed swing into stab. They sometimes dodge right into it.

I suggest practicing with Greatsword. It the best 2-h sword in the game (in my opinion of course) and can pretty much deal with any situation.

That said, the best MAA players is the most dangerous thing to 1v1.

lvl 41 Van.

• @CRUSHED:

@Peacerer:

@DifferentFrogs:

Lol at this

Glad someone else laughed at this too

• Play first person; don’t back peddle against face huggers; concentrate on getting a block off and it throws the vast majority of MAA’s completely off their game. Force them to keep a distance and then your fighting on mostly equal terms unless they are using a broken weapon like the dane axe or some of those short swords…gladius is it? Knights love exploiting that broken thing too.

• @CRUSHED:

@Peacerer:

@DifferentFrogs:

Lol at this

There’s nothing to LOL about. Its actually quite sad “pros” cant manually play their games… And if you try to say there’s no macro going on in this game you need to learn some basic computer science, not even relating gaming.

• @Peacerer:

@Peacerer:

@DifferentFrogs:

There’s nothing to LOL about. Its actually quite sad “pros” cant manually play their games… And if you try to say there’s no macro going on in this game you need to learn some basic computer science, not even relating gaming.

You know nothing about the chivalry pro scene, who is using macros and how they work. (hint : macros are useless in this game)

Stop talking out of your ass about things you dont know shit about

• Here are some basic footwork/combo advises that works perfectly for me. Take it or not, try it and see if it fits your playstyle. 500 hours behind me, more or less 400 as a MAA. I’m using the broadsword, no shield and I never lmb spam.

As Chivalry player and especialy as a MAA, first you need to practise and get better on your footwork by knowing all of the weapons reach and speed. On the battlefield, you have no time to think about it so it must comes naturally. Go in ffa servers to practise it faster. But keep in mind that ffa and TO servers have those 2 major differences wich are :

• Chasing speed wich can ruin your footworks on TO if you are only used to ffa running speed.
    • Fighting several ennemies at the same time on TO.

I won’t develop those 2 points. I don’t feel like writting a wall of text sorry :p

Anyways, amongs uncountable ways, here are for me 2 basic and easy ways to engage an average ennemy with the upperhand :

1. Run towards him then suddenly stop or decrease your speed by walking when you’re about to enter his weapons reach resulting him to swing the air. Just walk or run or dodge forward depending on your position and strike him.

2. Your ennemy is not far but coming into your dirrection. Pretend to watch somewhere else or pretend to be about to engage someone else then suddenly turn into his dirrection and immediatly attack. (you can even do a uturn and pretend to flee then uturn again and attack)

Then comes the combo. There’s ofc alot of different combos (mixing normal with alt attack etc…) but here is a simple one that works on rookies. After a succesfull footwork, I engage with a normal overhead. I continue walking/running on his left flank at the same time as I combo a normal slash attack. If I’m close enough to him, even if he tries to parry this second attack, there’s a 90% chance he won’t be able to do so because he is surprised, we are facehugging and his first reflex as a rookie is to watch what you are doing. To parry this second attack if you are really close to him, he should make a 90° on his left flank and unfortunatly for them, rookies don’t have the reflex to do that :p. If it’s a MAA you are facing, he is normally dead. If it’s not, you continue walking/running further on his left flank until you are almost behind him while comboing a stab. If it’s a Vanguard, he is normally dead. If it’s not, at this point, there is no surprise anymore, you don’t need to run/walk into a specific direction. The knight you are facing just took 3 hits (thinking you are lmb spamming). There’s a 90% chance he is gonna try to desperatly parry your next combo attack so you can feint then overhead and again walk/run into his left flank to finnish him with a slash or with a second feint then overhead. Just be carefull that you are not facing a total noob that will still try to attack you after the 3 hits and while you are feinting. Sometimes, you don’t even need to feint.

Note 1: while slashing on his left flank, you can turn your view on your left resulting your slash attack to connect faster to your opponent head. Also, the more you are close to him, the more he will have to turn to parry your slash.

Note 2 : Facing an archer is something else. In most of the case, either they will attack you first, either they’ll wait for you to attack and perform a fast counterattack after block. Get close to them and if they are attacking first -> footwork N°1. If not, get really close and feint/ attack really fast then move around them trying to succeed a second hit without having to use a second feint or peform a second feint if needed.

Note 3: OFC don’t try this combo on a knight if facing several ennemies cuz you clearly won’t have the time to finish him before you get hit by the others.

I insist, all of this is basic and it will work most of the time only on rookies or ffa players that don’t really care about their k/d ratio. Some other players are more carefull and ofc will not fall for this. You will have to use/devellop other footworks/combos.

• @CRUSHED:

You know nothing about the chivalry pro scene, who is using macros and how they work. (hint : macros are useless in this game)

I suggest you 1st read throu the forum, because there’s already said a lot about macroing. I even have few screenshots of higher rank players openly admitted ingame to use macros. They are not entirely useless for decent skilled players, especially with rushing MAA where milliseconds count with all desync this game gives us.

If you claim otherwise PM me here and a RL friend playing MAA shows you how good pre-set macros can be extremely valuable (not before thursday coz still playing with broken finger in RL as showed in another thread). But… if its proven to be shown useful, i expect you write appology in this topic. OK?

Also macroing can be pretty much useless to high skilled players (like the one above me is - Blackleader), but to must randoms with low to mid skill - probably including against you CRUSHED - it does miracles.

• @Peacerer:

@CRUSHED:

I suggest you 1st read throu the forum, because there’s already said a lot about macroing. I even have few screenshots of higher rank players openly admitted ingame to use macros. They are not entirely useless for decent skilled players, especially with rushing MAA where milliseconds count with all desync this game gives us.

If you claim otherwise PM me here and a RL friend playing MAA shows you how good pre-set macros can be extremely valuable (not before thursday coz still playing with broken finger in RL as showed in another thread). But… if its proven to be shown useful, i expect you write appology in this topic. OK?

Also macroing can be pretty much useless to high skilled players (like the one above me is - Blackleader), but to must randoms with low to mid skill - probably including against you CRUSHED - it does miracles.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/345435353453/
    Add me and duel me with your macros. Prepare for the beautiful ten zero.

• @Blackleader:

Anyways, amongs uncountable ways, here are for me 2 basic and easy ways to engage an average ennemy with the upperhand :

Blackleader, I was trying to not give away all the perfect MAA technique secrets. D: Now everyone will know how to beat us.

• @Blackleader:

Here are some basic footwork/combo advises that works perfectly for me. Take it or not, try it and see if it fits your playstyle. 500 hours behind me, more or less 400 as a MAA. I’m using the broadsword, no shield and I never lmb spam.

As Chivalry player and especialy as a MAA, first you need to practise and get better on your footwork by knowing all of the weapons reach and speed. On the battlefield, you have no time to think about it so it must comes naturally. Go in ffa servers to practise it faster. But keep in mind that ffa and TO servers have those 2 major differences wich are :

• Chasing speed wich can ruin your footworks on TO if you are only used to ffa running speed.
    • Fighting several ennemies at the same time on TO.

I won’t develop those 2 points. I don’t feel like writting a wall of text sorry :p

1. Run towards him then suddenly stop or decrease your speed by walking when you’re about to enter his weapons reach resulting him to swing the air. Just walk or run or dodge forward depending on your position and strike him.

2. Your ennemy is not far but coming into your dirrection. Pretend to watch somewhere else or pretend to be about to engage someone else then suddenly turn into his dirrection and immediatly attack. (you can even do a uturn and pretend to flee then uturn again and attack)

Then comes the combo. There’s ofc alot of different combos (mixing normal with alt attack etc…) but here is a simple one that works on rookies. After a succesfull footwork, I engage with a normal overhead. I continue walking/running on his left flank at the same time as I combo a normal slash attack. If I’m close enough to him, even if he tries to parry this second attack, there’s a 90% chance he won’t be able to do so because he is surprised, we are facehugging and his first reflex as a rookie is to watch what you are doing. To parry this second attack if you are really close to him, he should make a 90° on his left flank and unfortunatly for them, rookies don’t have the reflex to do that :p. If it’s a MAA you are facing, he is normally dead. If it’s not, you continue walking/running further on his left flank until you are almost behind him while comboing a stab. If it’s a Vanguard, he is normally dead. If it’s not, at this point, there is no surprise anymore, you don’t need to run/walk into a specific direction. The knight you are facing just took 3 hits (thinking you are lmb spamming). There’s a 90% chance he is gonna try to desperatly parry your next combo attack so you can feint then overhead and again walk/run into his left flank to finnish him with a slash or with a second feint then overhead. Just be carefull that you are not facing a total noob that will still try to attack you after the 3 hits and while you are feinting. Sometimes, you don’t even need to feint.

Note 1: while slashing on his left flank, you can turn your view on your left resulting your slash attack to connect faster to your opponent head. Also, the more you are close to him, the more he will have to turn to parry your slash.

Note 2 : Facing an archer is something else. In most of the case, either they will attack you first, either they’ll wait for you to attack and perform a fast counterattack after block. Get close to them and if they are attacking first -> footwork N°1. If not, get really close and feint/ attack really fast then move around them trying to succeed a second hit without having to use a second feint or peform a second feint if needed.

Note 3: OFC don’t try this combo on a knight if facing several ennemies cuz you clearly won’t have the time to finish him before you get hit by the others.

I insist, all of this is basic and it will work most of the time only on rookies or ffa players that don’t really care about their k/d ratio. Some other players are more carefull and ofc will not fall for this. You will have to use/devellop other footworks/combos.

He seriously threw like the last 30 levels ive spent learning into a page of text for this dude to read