Give Q-staff some love, and other things

• Just a little sad post about what could be one of the most entertaining weapons of the game.
    I don’t have any really good suggestions over what should be done, but I know that the Q-staff has less damage then smaller, one handed swords, slower swing times, a disheartening range compared to the others. It doesn’t really have anything going for it.

With the current way duels work aswell, it’s quite difficult for heavier classes to succeed against MAA and archers, because getting in melee range and failing a block or two will usually result in death. A simple solution would be to greatly increase the block cost of smaller weapons against larger ones. I know this is true already, and shields are fine, but being able to parry a Greatsword with a war axe multiple times without much harm doesn’t make much sense. It’s kind of frustrating to see someone block me with a dagger and not break his wrist >:| .

I don’t have much else to say, besides the usual “screw feints”. Opinions?

• Duels are a side mode. Not the main game. Stop expecting the game to be balanced around duels.

Luckily for your request the Quarterstaff sucks in team matches as well and definitely needs… something.

• Q staff is balanced, all the players who have played this game for a very long time know that if the Q-staff gets buffed it would quickly become the next over powered and abused weapon.

• @Peglegkickboxer:

Q staff is balanced, all the players who have played this game for a very long time know that if the Q-staff gets buffed it would quickly become the next over powered and abused weapon.

Really now. You’re the first person I’ve ever seen AGAINST buffing the QS.

It’s overheads can barely compete with the slashes of the other blunt weapons, and is slower and worse at comboing than the Cudgel on all attacks.

Against MAAs and Archers, it’s better to use ANY other weapon. People often refer to it as a two-handed blunt dagger, but that’s an insult to daggers, which at the cost of range, can outspeed the Quarterstaff on all attacks and still kill the opponents in the same number of hits. And unlike the Quarterstaff you can still use a shield with daggers if you’d like.

So yeah, I’d agree on a QS buff.

• @DemonicChocobo:

Really now. You’re the first person I’ve ever seen AGAINST buffing the QS.

It’s overheads can barely compete with the slashes of the other blunt weapons, and is slower and worse at comboing than the Cudgel on all attacks.

Against MAAs and Archers, it’s better to use ANY other weapon. People often refer to it as a two-handed blunt dagger, but that’s an insult to daggers, which at the cost of range, can outspeed the Quarterstaff on all attacks and still kill the opponents in the same number of hits. And unlike the Quarterstaff you can still use a shield with daggers if you’d like.

So yeah, I’d agree on a QS buff.

I think hes right this thing needs a buff its hilarious but awful.

• I would be alright with improving the quarterstaff but only in very minor ways. It’s actually a very good weapon right now in the hands of the right players. My friends Gravelord Nito and Derpasaur can rock socks with it :D

• Maybe make it cost a bit less stamina to attack with?

Need to use the whole bar or more to kill a knight in an average fight.

• @Dr.Nick:

I would be alright with improving the quarterstaff but only in very minor ways. It’s actually a very good weapon right now in the hands of the right players. My friends Gravelord Nito and Derpasaur can rock socks with it :D

A good player can rock with any weapon. Even the Double Axe can be deadly in the right hands even though it is outclassed in almost every way by every other Knight weapon.

Unless this weapon is, in some way, exponentially more powerful with skill rather than a good player making the best of a gimped weapon skill should not come into play in the ideas of weapon balance.

• There is barely any ways the Quarter staff could compete versus the other weapons in the Man-at arms arsenal. Buffing it or re-doing it would be nice, atleast make different slash or overheads, those they have right now are pretty odd.

• @Peglegkickboxer:

Q staff is balanced, all the players who have played this game for a very long time know that if the Q-staff gets buffed it would quickly become the next over powered and abused weapon.

The Quarterstaff is more unique than you’d think, and it can be extremely powerful if used properly.

I have to echo my concerns about buffing the Staff. I can agree it could use a minor buff, but only minor buffs. This could very easily turn into an overpowered weapon.

.05 on its Windup or Combo speed. Alternatively, 5 damage across the board. I can’t agree with anything more than that.

• The biggest problem I have with the staff is that it is so difficult to read. It has very subtle attack animations and often I can’t tell if it is a windup or the opponent just changing a direction a little bit. Combined with its speed, it can be quite annoying.

• Q staff is okay when compared to the lols of the other weapons. Look at the sling - hahahahaha

• @NikolaiLev:

it can be extremely powerful if used properly.

Statements like this really bug me.

I could just as easily say “Flails can be extremely powerful if used properly.”

Or “Fisticuffs can be extremely powerful if used properly.”

Or “The CTF Flag is extremely powerful if used properly.”

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but please elaborate on what this mysterious “using it properly” is, because I cannot see a reason to use the QS over ANY of the primaries and its utility is EASILY matched by the Cudgel. It doesn’t seem to do anything to amplify or capitalize on player skill.

I’ve personally given up on taking it seriously and pretty much only use it as a joke ‘secondary’ weapon when I’m screwing around and fighting with the Shortsword as my ‘primary’.

• @DemonicChocobo:

NikolaiLev wrote:
    it can be extremely powerful if used properly.

Statements like this really bug me.

demonic if you were running for office near me i would vote for you.

• @DemonicChocobo:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but please elaborate on what this mysterious “using it properly” is, because I cannot see a reason to use the QS over ANY of the primaries and its utility is EASILY matched by the Cudgel. It doesn’t seem to do anything to amplify or capitalize on player skill.

I’ve personally given up on taking it seriously and pretty much only use it as a joke ‘secondary’ weapon when I’m screwing around and fighting with the Shortsword as my ‘primary’.

I suppose I was too vague. What I meant was I believe the Quarterstaff is powerful as it is. It’s fast and has a deceptively excellent reach on its thrust. It’s also difficult to use.

But, to be fair, my opinion is largely based on my experience with it; I do well with it all the time; it’s one of my favorite MaA weapons. It does have great range on its thrust, as well as sheer speed.

However, after examining swingtraces and numbers, the Cudgel comparison is fairly damning. Though this could potentially just be a problem with the Cudgel itself (given it’s the most widely used Archer secondary), there are quite a number of disconcerting discrepancies:

• The Cudgel is much faster (this is to be expected)
    • The Cudgel does more damage on its Slash and Overhead (this is egregious)
    • The ranges are comparable (perhaps the most glaring problem)

Compare:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690922
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690821
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690841

To:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690940
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690876
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =129690899

Please keep in mind that due to the imprecise nature of these screenshots, they may make the Cudgel ranges look deceptively long compared to what they really are. But I think you see the point.

The Quarterstaff has an infinitely superior Stab. That’s about it. I feel both a damage buff and a speed buff are appropriate, though I still would rather not go overboard. Giving it 5 damage across the board, as well as .05 off the Combo speed oughta do it. Maybe .025 on the Windups, but that’s dangerous territory.

Ideally, I’d rather see the animations and/or the model re-done so it’s longer. This should be a long, fast, low-damage weapon. But this is usually not an option, so number buffs will have to happen elsewhere.

• I’d like to see VG get the q-staff so we can teach these crybaby MAA’s a lesson.
    Even if the VG used the q-staff at a slightly slower speed (due to his heavier armour) i’d not be fussed because i can see the merit of the weapon.

• @giantyak:

I’d like to see VG get the q-staff so we can teach these crybaby MAA’s a lesson.
    Even if the VG used the q-staff at a slightly slower speed (due to his heavier armour) i’d not be fussed because i can see the merit of the weapon.

Dude i so do not get it.

WHY NOT PLAY MAA WITH IT THEN?

Perhaps if you were skilled as one of us MAAs you would understand the true merit of any other weapon!

• No my point is more why cant the VG have a q-staff if that is the weapon that is pictured in the class selection spot. Besides it’d be fun to teach MAA how its done with the q-staff, even if the VG has a speed penalty for wearing heavier armour etc ;)

• @giantyak:

No my point is more why cant the VG have a q-staff if that is the weapon that is pictured in the class selection spot.

because vgs have enough sticks mang. give maas the claymore and well call it fair.

• I’d be happy with that. I was thinking of putting a suggestion in the suggestion thread that they should allow classes to have a wider variety of weapons. But that might create a fair bit of work for TB.
    If we stick with the q-staff for example they’d want to slow it down a tad or change the way the swing works in someway to even out the fact that the VG is wearing armour.