Halberd Forever!!!

• Reply if you still use the mighty halberd and how do you still use it.
    very eager to know what other people think.

• Well considering the lack of nerf the halberd posts I assume it is no longer the number one weapon of vanguard choice. I used it recently, seemed balanced, nothing special but decent.

How, well I used both hands and swung it around in different directions.

• The halberd is dead.

Long live the halberd!

• @ReMixx:

The halberd is dead.

Long live the halberd!

How original

looks at signature

• @Matti:

@ReMixx:

The halberd is dead.

Long live the halberd!

How original

looks at signature

:D

You like Agathian knights.

• Still didn’t address the issue with the feint stab spam animation.

• well i am still a strong halberd user, nothing will stop me using it, my tactics were not affected by the nerfs so i will NEVER STOP!!!

• @~:

Reply if you still use the mighty halberd and how do you still use it.

I never did before, because it was overpowered (and I hate using overpowered things). However, the instant it was nerfed, I picked it up, and it’s my favorite Vanguard primary. A paragon of versatility, it has no obvious strengths and no glaring weaknesses.

A balanced weapon in every sense of the word. :D

How I use it depends very much on who I’m fighting, as well as the situation. MaA receive more Slash attacks from me (especially a slash to golfswing combo), while against Knights I stay at range with a thrust and overhead combo.

If I have allies nearby, I’ll rely on the thrust and use the weapon as a support weapon. If I’m dueling, I’ll make use of all my attacks, largely the Overhead. Against multiple opponents I’ll try to make use of Slashes more often.

My playstyle is similar to the Billhook, but a little more conservative to take advantage of my range. The Billhook warrants a more aggressive approach, as well as a reliance on the Slash.

• @NikolaiLev:

@~:

Reply if you still use the mighty halberd and how do you still use it.

I never did before, because it was overpowered (and I hate using overpowered things). However, the instant it was nerfed, I picked it up, and it’s my favorite Vanguard primary. A paragon of versatility, it has no obvious strengths and no glaring weaknesses.

A balanced weapon in every sense of the word. :D

How I use it depends very much on who I’m fighting, as well as the situation. MaA receive more Slash attacks from me (especially a slash to golfswing combo), while against Knights I stay at range with a thrust and overhead combo.

If I have allies nearby, I’ll rely on the thrust and use the weapon as a support weapon. If I’m dueling, I’ll make use of all my attacks, largely the Overhead. Against multiple opponents I’ll try to make use of Slashes more often.

My playstyle is similar to the Billhook, but a little more conservative to take advantage of my range. The Billhook warrants a more aggressive approach, as well as a reliance on the Slash.

kewl i play similar to that as well, but when i am versing a group i will use everything and anything to survive let alone kill them all.

• I still use the halberd. Its still two stabs to kill and its the third longest weapon. 0.05 seconds longer stab was a good balance. You can still kill people.

And the alt overhand is amazing.

• Yes I think the patch adjusted the halberd towards balance.

Now I have a 50/50 chance Vs equally skilled players when using my greatsword.

Before the patch i was pretty much doomed in such scenarios.

Its still a terrifying weapon in the hands of a skilled user, as should every weapon be.

• yea if you know your versing a skilled player than be careful of the weapon he is using, like for the halberd use speed against it, i reckon it is the only downfall but not everyone knows this.

yea i have no idea how to do the differnent angle attacks, i can only do them because of my extra macros on my mouse.
    is it alt to do the different attacks?

• I’m still pretty sore that the animations were left the way they are now with the stab. Like most spears/halberd the stab animation versus the feint animation + speed of which you can cancel and then unleash a real attack is very, very, VERY difficult to judge. And you simply can’t press agressively against a feinting stab Halberd user for the range of the weapon is simply too great to get within striking distance. It’s a big MAYBE if you can get in range with the MaA dodge and manage to flinch them, yet this won’t stop them from mouse dragging a Halberd or simply getting yourself stabbed faster and since you are past the point of the weapon, you are almost forced to look behind you or have the weapon pass through your viewmodel if you want to parry that attack.

Not to mention getting past the blade end of the weapon and to be hit by the shaft and receive as much damage as if you were hit by the actual blade.

Yes, yes, spare me the “gameplay>realism” spiel, it still doesn’t get rid of the bitter taste. :(

• i never used the feint for the weapon, because my tactics didnt work with it, and i never knew that the stab animation for the feint was so hard to combat, thanks for the info Dokb

• @~:

i never used the feint for the weapon, because my tactics didnt work with it, and i never knew that the stab animation for the feint was so hard to combat, thanks for the info Dokb

Anytime.

Now I just hope that I don’t run into you, or I’ll be tearing my own hair out at my own stupidity. ;)

• I random class and weapons most of the time these days, occasionally end with with the halberd. It’s well balanced and all but it combos like a brick so I never really got into it.

• I still consider the Halberd overpowered. It was hardly nerfed in the last patch. Its lookdown overhead and feinted stabs are still incredibly deadly.

• @DokB:

@~:

i never used the feint for the weapon, because my tactics didnt work with it, and i never knew that the stab animation for the feint was so hard to combat, thanks for the info Dokb

Anytime.

Now I just hope that I don’t run into you, or I’ll be tearing my own hair out at my own stupidity. ;)

dont worry dude, i still dont use feints, doesn’t mix well with my tactics, but i will use a feint every now and then, to trick a major blocker.

• @Dr.Nick:

I still consider the Halberd overpowered. It was hardly nerfed in the last patch. Its lookdown overhead and feinted stabs are still incredibly deadly.

Can’t say I agree. The Bardiche does the former better, since lookdown overhead demands you get closer which sacrifices your range advantage. And feints are, well, feints.

Problems that aren’t exclusive to the Halberd. The Halberd has a little more synergy with these issues than other weapons, sure, but not to the point of throwing it overboard, I think.