Interrupted attacks dealing damage

• Since the last patch launched this has happened to me quite frequently: I attack an opponent, he attacks me and hits slightly earlier. We both take damage, yet my attack animation does not proceed, instead my weapon instantly returns to ready position as if the attack was canceled, even though I did deal damage to my opponent.
    The same thing happens the other way around: I attack an enemy who is winding up, we hit each other roughly at the same time, both receive damage yet his attack animation stops instantly.

As far as I understood the system, an attack can only deal damage once it got from windup to swing. But, as soon as an attack finishes windup and enters the swing state it is not supposed to be interruptible (with the exception of player death, hitting something solid and occasionally kick). So this should clearly not be possible and is either a bug with the interrupt mechanic or the animation (maybe the swing/hit tracer continues but without visible animation, I could not test that).

Well, I am curious if other players also have trouble with this issue? Or is it my system I have to look at?

PS: I also still have issues with fake swings/impossible swings that are actually there, just animation glitches, which I mentioned in another thread. As a side note I’d like to know if anyone else encountered these as well.

• You’re probably experiencing being hit during recovery or when going into a combo windup, and thus being flinched - which would just look like returning to idle.

• @SlyGoat:

You’re probably experiencing being hit during recovery or when going into a combo windup, and thus being flinched - which would just look like returning to idle.

But if I hit the enemy first, how can he hit me during recovery or combo wind up? Shouldn’t flinch prevent this? Also, it usually happens right at the start of the attack, not at the end.

It often happens when the attack is just about to start, more so when combined with swing dragging (so it hits earlier). The attack deals damage as usual but is interrupted almost instantly after that.

However, if nobody else has encountered this, it is probably on my side :/

• No i have had this problem more frequently since patch. Although for me i hit people during windup and frequently the enemy’s attack is not canceled and i die….because i’m playing javelin. I have to be extra, extra, careful fighting people with the Zweihander because of this, because if that error occurs i will get 1shot 95% of the time.

• @Don_Kanaille:

@SlyGoat:

You’re probably experiencing being hit during recovery or when going into a combo windup, and thus being flinched - which would just look like returning to idle.

But if I hit the enemy first, how can he hit me during recovery or combo wind up? Shouldn’t flinch prevent this? Also, it usually happens right at the start of the attack, not at the end.

It often happens when the attack is just about to start, more so when combined with swing dragging (so it hits earlier). The attack deals damage as usual but is interrupted almost instantly after that.

However, if nobody else has encountered this, it is probably on my side :/

I have experienced this many times myself, especially while playing with 2h weapons and going for a lookdown overhead or turning into a swing while trading a blow with an opponent. My swing will make contact with them before they hit me or nearly the same exact time, and my animation will end, but still have damaged them. It seems to only end the animation because I have had this happen after being hit first yet still wounding my opponent at nearly the same time, all while looking like I flinched on my screen, although this is much more rare. It mostly seems to happen when the swings connect at almost the same time. If I was out of windup for just a moment then struck it never seems to end the animation, only when blows connect at similar times.

I notice it quite often when baiting MAA’s in with a missed swing, then comboing into the next swing to strike them and they dash in to me as planned and we trade. We will both hit each other, but one or both of us will already look idle again.

• Well, shortly after coming home from work, I started recording some duels and right away I experienced this bug. Change to 1080p to see it better.

[youtubehd:1zmsqgbl]6qLonqyCUVw[/youtubehd:1zmsqgbl]

In the first duel, you will see him stab at me at the same time I do a lookdown overhead and crush him. The animation that plays does not seem to me like the same animation as when I hit the ground, but more like a flinch animation.

The 2nd duel, I left in for fun, that crushing sound is too good :D also ignore the minecraft talk lol

• Bamp.

• @Anonymoose:

Well, shortly after coming home from work, I started recording some duels and right away I experienced this bug. Change to 1080p to see it better.

In the first duel, you will see him stab at me at the same time I do a lookdown overhead and crush him. The animation that plays does not seem to me like the same animation as when I hit the ground, but more like a flinch animation.

The 2nd duel, I left in for fun, that crushing sound is too good :D also ignore the minecraft talk lol

I haven’t seen this, however, I have interrupted attacks only to be damaged while in the middle of my combo with a different attack type [ie, interrupt a swing to get hit by an overhead].

• @Reimus:

@Anonymoose:

Well, shortly after coming home from work, I started recording some duels and right away I experienced this bug. Change to 1080p to see it better.

I haven’t seen this, however, I have interrupted attacks only to be damaged while in the middle of my combo with a different attack type [ie, interrupt a swing to get hit by an overhead].

That is because many weapons combos are quite slow, and you can flinch someone yet still be struck by their next attack since it will take you finishing your release, starting a new swing in combo, and release until contact, which can take much longer than him flinching for .2 seconds then starting a new swing.

Check the video in my post to see what im talking about.