Spamming smaller weapons

• Are they really meant to be so hard to block? There is no way to beat anyone spamming the archer dagger if you’re using a 2h weapon. Is this intended? It seems weird and out of place.

• especially sucks when they miss your block like 5 times and becaues of the cooldown you can no longer keep up but the queueing system are still queing up blocks so you’re fucked.

• @anetherus:

especially sucks when they miss your block like 5 times and becaues of the cooldown you can no longer keep up but the queueing system are still queing up blocks so you’re fucked.

This should be obvious to you why you were beaten, and deserve to be beaten.

Firstly, don’t let them get in range. Nigh every weapon has a superior range to the Dagger, especially without a shield (Dagger has more range with a shield due to the animations). Every single other weapon also does more damage than the Dagger. Every single other class has more armor than the archer.

There is no excuse for you to lose that match assuming equal skill. You are statistically superior in every way. If the archer is better than you? You will lose, and deserve to lose, because this is a skill based game; you are not supposed to win engagements based on what class and weapons you pick, you only reap small advantages that you need to know how to use (i.e. you need to Know the Double Axe can 1h archers in the head with Overhead, the Slash can’t do that).

So, yes, they’re meant to be so hard to block. That’s their only advantage. Awful range and awful damage need to be justified somehow. Exploit those weaknesses and you’ll win every time. Kick is also useful (even if it’s harder to use than it was pre-CU1). And remember, a parrying with a Dagger drains a huge amount of your stamina; an Archer can only parry a Maul twice before he’s totally out of stamina, at which point the next parry will Daze him, allowing you to almost guarantee a hit (provided your footwork is up to par).

You’ll learn, and you’ll improve, if you want to. :P

• The only thing I don’t like about smaller weapons especially in close range. They sometimes glitched through the shield.

• @BroodReaver:

The only thing I don’t like about smaller weapons especially in close range. They glitched through the shield.

I rarely see this. What happens a lot for me is shields blocking my attacks from behind.

• @c4ndlejack:

@BroodReaver:

The only thing I don’t like about smaller weapons especially in close range. They glitched through the shield.

I rarely see this. What happens a lot for me is shields blocking my attacks from behind.

For me, I encounter this most of the time when I’m engaging archers that uses short daggers and just stabbing me wildly within their range.

• @NikolaiLev:

@anetherus:

especially sucks when they miss your block like 5 times and becaues of the cooldown you can no longer keep up but the queueing system are still queing up blocks so you’re fucked.

Firstly, don’t let them get in range. Nigh every weapon has a superior range to the Dagger, especially without a shield (Dagger has more range with a shield due to the animations). Every single other weapon also does more damage than the Dagger. Every single other class has more armor than the archer.

There is no excuse for you to lose that match assuming equal skill. You are statistically superior in every way. If the archer is better than you? You will lose, and deserve to lose, because this is a skill based game; you are not supposed to win engagements based on what class and weapons you pick, you only reap small advantages that you need to know how to use (i.e. you need to Know the Double Axe can 1h archers in the head with Overhead, the Slash can’t do that).

So, yes, they’re meant to be so hard to block. That’s their only advantage. Awful range and awful damage need to be justified somehow. Exploit those weaknesses and you’ll win every time. Kick is also useful (even if it’s harder to use than it was pre-CU1). And remember, a parrying with a Dagger drains a huge amount of your stamina; an Archer can only parry a Maul twice before he’s totally out of stamina, at which point the next parry will Daze him, allowing you to almost guarantee a hit (provided your footwork is up to par).

Not even sure if this is a troll post. What level are you? (aka how long have you played)

It’s not at all hard for an archer or especially man at arms to come close to you. Man at arms are much faster and an agressive archer can just block one of your swings and then get close to start stabbing/slashing.

The only thing that I found works is if you manage to block their attacks or feint when they are outside your range while sprinting towards them. But both ways become completely useless against any decent player.

Kicking doesn’t work at all unless you get super lucky. Besides it requires too much stamina most of the time.

Some good players are even going into your face and stabbing you from the inside so you can’t even see the weapon. I’m using 120 FOV and it’s still a massive problem.

• @NikolaiLev:

@anetherus:

Lol no.

Justifying lower damage and range by making it more difficult to block? Don’t you see how that doesn’t work? I mean you might as well just give it more damage, it’s the same sort of buff.

• @NikolaiLev:

@anetherus:

Don’t let them get in range? They can spring right up to you while you have to walk backwards.

I seriously think there’s a coalition of players who dismiss any valid argument against the spammy dagger facehugging because this is their go-to tactic for getting lots of kills. It’s purely self-interest and an utter disregard for crafting a sensible game design.

• @anetherus:

It’s not at all hard for an archer or especially man at arms to come close to you. Man at arms are much faster and an agressive archer can just block one of your swings and then get close to start stabbing/slashing.

I agree. As a vanguard I currently see no way of keeping them at range if they are not really complete newbies. The only way seems to be to one-shot them with a zweihander which I can do sometimes with a good feint and a little bit of luck (hitting them afterwards). I do not have to emphasise that on competent MaA with a shield, this doesn’t work. The only other option is to start swinging wildly with hopes of getting around their shield with alternate hit, which sometimes helps but often it is not really feasible due to space constraints. BTW do you know that a vanguard cannot swing or overhead his zweihander when there is a wall just behin him?
    Moreover, on certain maps I sometimes try out MaA and archer, I am fairly incompetent with them but there is still no way to stop me from getting in anybody’s face. Often after a few hits I die there because I am not used to such movement speeds and sooner or later I miss (as I said, I am fairly incompetent MaA and archer), but still quite often I can take down a fairly competent knight (or two) and even as an archer I routinely end with 3/4 melee kills and 1/4 long range kills.

So to sum it up, as a vanguard my best chances against a decently skilled MaA (if there is nobody around to help me) are to change weapons to sabre and facehug THEM because most MaAs, even the really good ones that I met, were absolutely not used to that kind of tactics. Even though they can dodge quite easily to maintain their distance thare is a fair chance they will be out of stamina. But I am a vanguard, I want to smash them with my iconic long, heavy weapons, not with stupid secondaries that everybody has. Besides, this tactics relies on them being unprepared for their own tactics (in two words: being noobs) and it is not likely it will work long because any MaA is always better than equally skilled vanguard with a sabre.

• What I’ve encountered is that when you say, parry an attack from a dagger overhead for example. You parry, the weapon comes at you, it passes into your viewmodel BUT… nothing happens. Except your parry whiffs and you are left with the long recovery time on your “missed” parry which will normally be enough time if the enemy is combo’ing to hit you with the second attack of the dagger.

Normally I’m fine with the way things are, I’m use to daggers and falchions at very close range being extremely hard to block/parry/kick away. But this just seems to consistent. Normally on an attack that I should have parried, or at the very very least, hit me and damage me, you would expect something, anything!

But this just feels awkward and usually leads to your death just because a weapon will pass through you and simply “do nothing”.

Might be packet loss, bad FPS, very quick and rapid movements in an equally quick sucsession, I’m not sure. Anyone else encounter this problem?

• @BroodReaver:

The only thing I don’t like about smaller weapons especially in close range. They sometimes glitched through the shield.

Yeah, whether they are going through the shield or the stab is going around the side or over the top of the shield I’m not sure but it happens.@NikolaiLev:

@anetherus:

Just in regard to the “don’t let them get close” argument; sure it’s valid, it’s the only thing you can do. However the classes who use the dagger are either MAAs who can dodge directly into your face or archers who have been shooting arrows into your face up until the point you get close enough to attack. I have more respect for MaAs who use the dagger because they are a melee class who are choosing to use the weapon, however archers have a different role and range is their primary weapon. To me it seems a little unfair that they already have this huge range at which they can attack and you have to close in on them but once your close you also have to stop them getting too close. It’s a very small window of space you have to maintain:- close up to 200 yards/meters to get close enough to attack but then have to maintain the perfect distance away so they can’t spam lmb.

• That’s what secondary weapons are for.

• Here’s the secret, its easy to parry/block small weapons in first person….

• This isnt even a problem. :|

• @DokB:

Might be packet loss, bad FPS, very quick and rapid movements in an equally quick sucsession, I’m not sure. Anyone else encounter this problem?

The game has well-known desync problems, and the dagger is incredibly tiny. It also has a release+combo time that fits inside of your parry/parry recovery, making every attack miss (intentional or accidental) from a dagger a feint. The hunting knife slash is .95s total, so even if you run completely out of stamina and can’t combo you can still fit the entire attack inside a parry and every miss is still a feint.

The best way to handle a dagger is to just move a lot. Don’t backpedal straight back, or lazily off to the side. Move around them, do some turning and sprinting. The dagger reach is terrible, not hard to make them miss.

• @DSMatticus:

@DokB:

The game has well-known desync problems, and the dagger is incredibly tiny. It also has a release+combo time that fits inside of your parry/parry recovery, making every attack miss (intentional or accidental) from a dagger a feint. The hunting knife slash is .95s total, so even if you run completely out of stamina and can’t combo you can still fit the entire attack inside a parry and every miss is still a feint.

The best way to handle a dagger is to just move a lot. Don’t backpedal straight back, or lazily off to the side. Move around them, do some turning and sprinting. The dagger reach is terrible, not hard to make them miss.

It’s also got a ridiculously small attack arc. It’s not a full arm swing like most 1h weapons, it starts at your character’s 2 o’clock or so. Again, this is just with the 1h animations; 1h+shield anims are more proper.

This makes it trivial to step around someone’s Dagger slash. If it’s a Hunting knife, all bets are off.

Daggers are harder to use successfully than you think. Sure, you can just spam away with it, but if a player knows how to deal with that, there’s basically no way you’ll ever win the fight. Feinting is difficult to time with the Dagger, and with how much stamina you need to parry most weapons, you won’t be able to afford to feint spam.

• What always gets me against small weapons is when an obvious hit ends up missing me. I end up parrying a failed attack, leaving me unable to defend their follow up attack. I don’t know if it is a ghost swing issue or just the game showing the player closer to me than he really is, but it is really annoying.

• @RicHSAD:

What always gets me against small weapons is when an obvious hit ends up missing me. I end up parrying a failed attack, leaving me unable to defend their follow up attack. I don’t know if it is a ghost swing issue or just the game showing the player closer to me than he really is, but it is really annoying.

This happens very often with the Hunting Dagger. Having the shortest range in the game, plus a shoddy Slash animation (without the Shield) that slashes with a very bent arm means a lot of hits will miss.

Other Daggers are similar. It shouldn’t happen much with anything else, though. Despite being shorter than the Shortsword, the Hatchet seems to hit reliably every time.

• You just need to keep your cool. Let’s say you’re a knight with a maul, and an archer is spamming dagger slashes at you. If you mess up 1 block, don’t try to immediately block again, because you’ll likely miss. Instead, eat a hit, wait for the follow up combo slash, and time the block correct. Afterwards, counter-attack and I can almost guarantee you’ll hit them if all they know how to do is spam, because they’ll likely be just spamming LMB and not thinking about blocking.