Extended Training

• Okay so this should hopefully be fairly easy to implement and it would be incredibly useful for anyone trying to get better.

It would be a single player mode which comprises nothing except your character and a computer-controlled Man at arms, Knight or whatever. You choose what weapon he wields.

You then stand facing each other - no need for movement - and he attacks over and over, using all kinds of various strikes, including alternate attacks, combos and, importantly, feints.

The idea is that it would allow us to train general blocking, as well as ducking, and dealing with feints (I am absolutely fine with feints, but I think people struggle because it is actually very hard to get practice at doing it unless you have a regular practice partner, which I don’t, and I’m sure I’m not alone).

• Maybe its obvious but you know Create Game is the single player mode so you can just fight bots.

And the bots are feinters too (is that an expletive now?).

• But you can’t choose their weapons. It could be probably some extension of the duel mode. Anyway, I don’t think this would help. NPCs act very differently in combat. If you learn on bots, you will find yourself lacking pretty soon. Even the stupidest players will be a dangerous challenge, not because you would be too bad but because you would not be adapted to their fighting style.

• While I see the appeal of a training mode, this will simply not benefit anyone. The current tutorial already teaches you about the basic attacks, the mechanics of parrying, the combos, etc. There is absolutely no point in practicing with a static NPC. Practicing with bots is counter productive, as no human player plays like a bot. Bots don’t facehug you, use mouse drag delay, use accelerated swings, or use look-down overheads. The Create Game mode (aka Single Player) is still a good place to train, but it should absolutely not replace actual human fighting.

• Agreed. Although I think that they should introduce riposting (aka counter attack aka parry-combo) in the extant training. I have only recently discovered it is not a bug but a feature.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Agreed. Although I think that they should introduce riposting (aka counter attack aka parry-combo) in the extant training. I have only recently discovered it is not a bug but a feature.

Agreed,I have wondered about why this doesn’t get mentioned in the training. Until you are aware that the parry counter attack thing is actually a feature it might a appear like people are exploiting or speed hacking. :?

• Definitely. I see two other problems with that:

1. Not many people are aware of the mechanics, so it is used very very seldom.
    2. It is quite subtle, often you can’t even notice that this particular mechanics was invoked, especially if it is used with a faster weapon.

• I would like extended training for all classes.