TO FLINCH -Oxford Dictionary Definition

• TO FLINCH Definition of flinch
    (verb)
    make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain:

OK I seem to be getting confused with what I’m reading in the forums on what people are defining as the flinch in game. Seems to me that persons are reading the flinch as the pause after been struck and not the before reaction.
    If it’s the after being struck, then this should be called TO WINCE.

TO WINCE

a slight grimace or shrinking movement caused by pain or distress.

Now if we can get some clarification on this, maybe discussions about flinching and wincing away from hits might become a lot clearer to people.

• @coldstreamer:

TO FLINCH Definition of flinch
    (verb)
    make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain:

OK I seem to be getting confused with what I’m reading in the forums on what people are defining as the flinch in game. Seems to me that persons are reading the flinch as the pause after been struck and not the before reaction.

TO WINCE

Now if we can get some clarification on this, maybe discussions about flinching and wincing away from hits might become a lot clearer to people.

No because you just posted the definitions which show they are essentially synonymous with each other. Flinch does define the part after being struck and so does wince.

“make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain:”

Instinctive reaction to pain. Not impending pain.

• @boomandvibe:

Deleted -Chuck

You shouldn’t talk like that.

I’ve always thought it was weird to call that game mechanic as “flinch” as well. I’ve always only known flinch as the reaction to fear.

The saying “two for flinching” is always about hitting someone after they’ve flinched to you being threatened to get hit. You never hit someone, then say “two for flinching” and hit them again.

• Don’t confuse the americans, English is their second language :-)

And of course flinch and wince are not the same, flinch does not involve getting hit, just reacting to something. Wince is when it hurts and you say ow.

But now flinch is in the CMW vernacular so no sense in changing it. Kind of like kitten in GW2.

• @Sir:

@coldstreamer:

(verb)

TO WINCE

No because you just posted the definitions which show they are essentially synonymous with each other. Flinch does define the part after being struck and so does wince.

“make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain:”

Instinctive reaction to pain. Not impending pain.

Bang !
    there we go! first post in-reply, and we’re already into confusion.
    So here’s a scenario and my explanation as I see it. Maybe a dev might jump in and explain the game mechanics and there game definition if there is still confusion.

You go round a corner and someone is waiting with a raised fist ready to strike. - you, turn your head away and raise an arm to defend your face. that is to flinch.

Same corner. You go round, and someone is waiting with a raised fist and sticks one on the end of your nose. - you grab your nose and go ooowww and stumble backwards a pace. that is to wince!

As you can see, both have similar meaning but completely different result.
    Now how do these action play out ingame and more importantly what meaning are you using in your posts.

• @coldstreamer:

(verb)
    make a quick, nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain

Your own definition says it can be through fear or pain. Which means, based off your definition, you can flinch after receiving pain. IE, getting flicked on the nose.

• @ChuckingIt:

Your own definition says it can be through fear or pain. Which means, based off your definition, you can flinch after receiving pain. IE, getting flicked on the nose.

pffhh

spell colour.

• @gregcau:

@ChuckingIt:

pffhh

spell colour.

Hey, I’m just playing devil’s advocate here.

• @ChuckingIt:

@gregcau:

@ChuckingIt:

pffhh

spell colour.

lol you are right, just teasing cause when the first immigrants came to america it was like

Settler 1: Hey I am writing a letter back to my sis in England, how do you spell colour?
    Settler 2: Idk just sound it out - col-or

• sod it! I give in with this forum.

Even the frikkin moderators flame posts.

@ChuckingIt:

@gregcau:

@ChuckingIt:

pffhh

spell colour.

I flick you on the nose you wince! If I go to flick you on the nose you flinch!

meaning you’ve received pain. the other meaning your about to receive pain!

WHAT THE F**K they teach you lot in school over there FFS

• @coldstreamer:

sod it! I give in with this forum.

No flame. Just pointed out the flaw in your argument before you start using it to prove a point. In fact, your OP kind of shot your whole point in its own foot.

• @coldstreamer:

Actually he highlighted and clarified, I assume you are kidding.

Flame: Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.

Edit: Though I would argue that no author in his right mind would describe a longword slashing his face caused him to flinch, nor wince. lol

but yeah, yeah its just simulating until the final blow kills ya. DnD hitpoints.

• @coldstreamer:

Bang !
    there we go! first post in-reply, and we’re already into confusion.
    So here’s a scenario and my explanation as I see it. Maybe a dev might jump in and explain the game mechanics and there game definition if there is still confusion.

You go round a corner and someone is waiting with a raised fist ready to strike. - you, turn your head away and raise an arm to defend your face. that is to flinch.

Same corner. You go round, and someone is waiting with a raised fist and sticks one on the end of your nose. - you grab your nose and go ooowww and stumble backwards a pace. that is to wince!

As you can see, both have similar meaning but completely different result.
    Now how do these action play out ingame and more importantly what meaning are you using in your posts.

See this is just wrong, just because you may have been hit does not mean that you didn’t flinch just prior to, or even at the same time as, being hit.
    Wince doesn’t come into the discussion except for the fact that it’s a synonym.

• @coldstreamer:

I flick you on the nose you wince! If I go to flick you on the nose you flinch!

meaning you’ve received pain. the other meaning your about to receive pain!

WHAT THE F**K they teach you lot in school over there FFS

I’m going to assume your post is serious so to begin with, the moderator didn’t flame any post. Latching on to negative responses or flame posts (even where none exist) as an excuse to leave an argument without conceding the valid points in other posts is a pretty disgusting attitude.

Secondly, the definition you posted contradicts your argument that flinch does not have the same meaning as wince.
    Once again:
    Nervous movement of the face or body as an instinctive reaction to fear or pain

OR PAIN, in other words, the bodily reaction can apply to the fear of being hit with a sword or the pain of HAVING been hit with a sword.

Let’s look at another example from merriam-webster online dictionary:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flinch
    ":to withdraw or shrink from or as if from pain : wince; also : to tense the muscles involuntarily in anticipation of discomfort"

Here’s another from: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/american-english/flinch?q=flinch
    to make a sudden small movement because of pain or fear:

Flinch and wince are synonymous with each other but flinch is generally more often used than wince.

Whatever they’re teaching ‘over there’ is probably better than what you’re being taught given your slight lack of reading comprehension.

• @Sir:

Flinch and wince are synonymous with each other but flinch is generally more often used than wince.

Whatever they’re teaching ‘over there’ is probably better than what you’re being taught given your slight lack of reading comprehension.

Maybe if you read more books you would understand the difference. Merriam-Websters shows the more commonly used definitions.

Flinch
    to withdraw or shrink from or as if from pain

Wince
    to shrink back involuntarily (as from pain)

• By the resent posts we can see that clarification is needed. would be nice if the devs picked up on this and gave abit of inlightenment.

Flinch or to flinch is a verb
    Meaning:
    Draw back, as with fear or pain

Note in the meaning the part AS WITH,meaning something that is about to happen.

Where as:-

Wince or to Wince is a Noun
    Meaning:
    Draw back, with fear or pain
    Note in the meaning the part WITH, meaning a reaction to something that has happened.

Now the it seems the US bastardisation of the English language can turn the meaning to FLINCH into a NOUN and the noun to WINCE into a VERB.
    The simple question I asked was. Are the DEVs using the US bastardised form of flinch to describe an action taking place in the game.
    Or are they using the correct grammatical form to describe an action taking place in game.

A simple question so I believed, that turned into a flame war.
    As with anything I’ve found on these forums, people are to ready to start flame wars over the littlest thing giving little thought to what the original question was or is.

Maybe if the Devs joined this discussion and not leave it to a bunch of 20 year old American kids then an answer could be obtained.

• @gregcau:

Flinch

Notice the “or”.

Flinch

• @gregcau:

@Sir:

Maybe if you read more books you would understand the difference. Merriam-Websters shows the more commonly used definitions.

Flinch

Did you not notice the “or” part?

Also look at the example for flinch from Merriam-Websters: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flinch

“He flinched when I tapped him on the shoulder.”

Which describes flinch as a reaction to stimuli (which can include pain such as from being hit).
    @coldstreamer:

Flinch or to flinch is a verb
    Meaning:
    Draw back, as with fear or pain

Note in the meaning the part AS WITH,meaning something that is about to happen.

What is your source for the definition? Seems like you’re cherry picking from unreliable or non-reputable sources to support your case.

Secondly, the combined prepositions AS WITH does not connote future tense.
    AS WITH is primarily defined as synonymous with “like” or “as in the case of”.
    @coldstreamer:

Now the it seems the US bastardisation of the English language can turn the meaning to FLINCH into a NOUN and the noun to WINCE into a VERB.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/wince?q=wince
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/flinch?q=flinch
    Oxford defines both FLINCH and WINCE as both verbs & nouns.
    @coldstreamer:

The simple question I asked was. Are the DEVs using the US bastardised form of flinch to describe an action taking place in the game.

If you had used the search function you’d notice that the devs have always referred to the state after being hit as a ‘flinch’ and they have also used flinch both as a verb and a noun.
    @coldstreamer:

Or are they using the correct grammatical form to describe an action taking place in game.

Grammatically correct by who or what authority?
    Again, the Oxford dictionary definition of flinch (which you quoted in the OP) is both a verb and a noun and it defines bodily reactions to pain.
    @coldstreamer:

A simple question so I believed, that turned into a flame war.
    As with anything I’ve found on these forums, people are to ready to start flame wars over the littlest thing giving little thought to what the original question was or is.

Don’t be so melodramatic.
    @coldstreamer:

Maybe if the Devs joined this discussion and not leave it to a bunch of 20 year old American kids then an answer could be obtained.

I’m actually Australian and I have personally heard more people use flinch than wince as either verb or noun to describe reactions to pain.

Also, not every question posed to a developer has to be dignified with a response if it is either largely trivial or easily answered by the community.

• @Toans:

@gregcau:

Flinch

Notice the “or”.

Flinch

I think we are losing the pointless point of this discussion
    but or is fine, so it can be

to withdraw
    or
    shrink from
    or
    as if from pain

but wince is

to shrink back involuntarily (as from pain)

• give in!

have it your way carnt be arsed arguing with you any more

EDITED is the simple answer to this question.

The Oxford Dictionary is the benchmark for all other dictionaries.

now go and flame sum other post

you just simply want to argue a point, giving nothing constructive to the question at hand.

so have it your way, may you be blinded by your brilliance!