Bardiche overhead broken completely

• Bardiche overhead is broken and hits instantly if you look down while overheading

• You can do that with every weapon.

• @boomandvibe:

Bardiche overhead is broken and hits instantly if you look down while overheading

Any polearm type weapon, can hit with the bottom of the weapon. This includes weapons like the halberd, poleaxe, grandmace, bardiche, billhook, etc… I very much dislike this feature, since the bottom of the weapon does equal damage to the actual blade, while being twice as fast.

• @Metrocop:

You can do that with every weapon.

Not wth swords you cant. Also 1-handers. The weapon hits as soon as the windup starts.

• I reported this a long time ago.

• @boomandvibe:

@Metrocop:

Not wth swords you cant. Also 1-handers. The weapon hits as soon as the windup starts.

You are right about the 1 handers.
    Maybe is not as broken as the bardiche but you can do the overhead exploit with every 2 handed weapon as far as I know.

• I’m starting to think the best way to deal with 0 release attacks is to make it so that the first 20% of the release deals significantly reduced damage. The proposed daze on ground hit that may or may not be coming soon will solve absolutely nothing, as the full damage is still dealt as soon as release starts, and if it’s made so that the daze gives enemies free hits then people will just leave lookdown overheads to final blows and continue to do accelerated slashes without consequence. Sure, on the whole, the game supports 0 release time, they’re not completely unblockable, but at the end of the day, 0 releases offer more advantages than non zero releases.

• been broken
    ^martin says a fix is coming, something might.

• Well I only said may be.

• @Martin:

Well I only said may be.

I agree, but think it should be both. Reduced damage+Stun for hitting floor.

• @Martin:

I’m starting to think the best way to deal with 0 release attacks is to make it so that the first 20% of the release deals significantly reduced damage.

This would be excellent solution. At least as a band aid untill devs think of something better executed.

While fixing “look down or fast mouse swing” tweaking some 2h weapon’s 360°… well ok 270° dmg radius would also be great.

• @Martin:

'm starting to think the best way to deal with 0 release attacks is to make it so that the first 20% of the release deals significantly reduced damage

I think this would be awesome , and would be a great fix

• Instant overhead is balanced ;)

• Dazing when striking the floor is more to prevent the issue of whiffing attacks on purpose when you know you’ve missed, so you can parry immediately and not be punished for your mistake.

Accelerated attacks are something we’ll need to think about and test extensively. Luckily, we’ll soon be able to do much more efficient community testing before releasing things on to live.

• @SlyGoat:

Dazing when striking the floor is more to prevent the issue of whiffing attacks on purpose when you know you’ve missed, so you can parry immediately and not be punished for your mistake.

Accelerated attacks are something we’ll need to think about and test extensively. Luckily, we’ll soon be able to do much more efficient community testing before releasing things on to live.

Finally hiring me as a tester?

• @Martin:

I’m starting to think the best way to deal with 0 release attacks is to make it so that the first 20% of the release deals significantly reduced damage.

Maybe I am simplifying but can`t you just change the trace thingy to start at the hands instead of the handle.

• @gregcau:

@Martin:

Maybe I am simplifying but can`t you just change the trace thingy to start at the hands instead of the handle.

It won’t solve much when it comes to 0 release attacks (since the majority of the weapon is usually in the player anyway), however, moving the lower socket higher up on the weapon would solve cases where you hit people behind you because the bottom of shafts and such extend behind the player, say with spears etc (so it won’t solve the look-up Maul overheads that people have recorded in videos and such, but a damage reduction would mitigate its effects such as to prevent the 1 hit kills it allows).

• There should be a massive penalty and no advantage at all to any attack that takes place while staring at the ground or sky and not watching your opponent. The whole exploit (beyond 0 release overheads) makes the game feel gimicky and ruins the feel of fights, there’s nothing fun about fighting someone staring at the tips of your shoes and spamming LMB while trying to hug you, and nothing fun about getting insta-gibed by overheads with no/almost no wind up time.

• @Metrocop:

@boomandvibe:

@Metrocop:

You are right about the 1 handers.
    Maybe is not as broken as the bardiche but you can do the overhead exploit with every 2 handed weapon as far as I know.

I’m not talking about 2-hand sword doing look-down overhead. Bardiche actually hits as soon as weapon swing starts. This doesn’t happen with swords.

• @boomandvibe:

@Metrocop:

Yes you can, some of the very short 1h weapons hit on windup with the pommel.
    Spear pommel also kills on windup if someone is standing diagonally towards your side/back.

@boomandvibe:

I’m not talking about 2-hand sword doing look-down overhead. Bardiche actually hits as soon as weapon swing starts. This doesn’t happen with swords.

The 2sword would do the same if you were closer to the pommel on windup. As it is the ‘pommel end’ of the bardiche sticks out much further from the attacker then the pommel of the 2h sword. So you have to be very weary if your using a short weapon and don’t want to get killed by a weapon on windup.

@Qux:

There should be a massive penalty and no advantage at all to any attack that takes place while staring at the ground or sky and not watching your opponent. The whole exploit (beyond 0 release overheads) makes the game feel gimicky and ruins the feel of fights, there’s nothing fun about fighting someone staring at the tips of your shoes and spamming LMB while trying to hug you, and nothing fun about getting insta-gibed by overheads with no/almost no wind up time.

But suppose you wanted to chop someone in half longways how else would it look. Moreover, what if you want to look-down overhead from range and not facehugging range. Should you be penalised for that too?
    I don’t think you can crate a penalty for hitting the ground because this would interfere with combat on uneven terrain…eg a steep hill…