Unlocking Weapons (?)

• Is it possible to unlock weapons yet? As I cannot find a progressbar, or XP or anything related to it.

• Moved to beta forums. Please keep beta discussions here. Weapon unlocks are still a work in progress.

• Is it possible to play with any other weapons than the one we have/will they be included in the beta later on?

• @MrZeppo:

Is it possible to play with any other weapons than the one we have/will they be included in the beta later on?

They will be, yes. All of the locked weapons are already complete and in the game, all that’s missing is the proper system to unlock them :P Hopefully it’ll be fixed in the patch coming out within the next couple days.

• Awesome!

• Do we have to have an unlock/progression system?

I’m so sick of the approach that you have to earn everything just so you can play with the weapon selection you want.

If balance was done the way the devs claim then all weapons should be = to each other with tradeoffs in speed/dmg etc but the first axe/sword/pole-arm/etc is never better then the 4th version of the weapon you would unlock just different.

If this is the case why are we having to unlock weapons? All this does is force players to grind through the game with weapons they don’t want to use to progress to the one they do.

If the game is fun people will keep playing because they want to not because some artificial progression system is forcing them to play longer just to unlock a new weapon.
    If game is not fun a progression system only keeps people around till they unlock everything then they move on anyway.

My other suggestion to this would be if you are 100% set on a progression system have it $ or point based and have players start with nothing unlocked but enough $/points to unlock the three weapons of their choice (weapons for spots 1-3) first then earn the rest from their. This way people are starting with the weapon they want to play but you still have the progression system for earning variety and choices. Further please don’t limit progression to the class your playing. What I mean by this is if I have Men at Arms 100% unlocked I should be able to use any points/$ I earn playing maa to unlock weapons for the archer.

• I have my doubts about progression in Chivalry as well. I’m already really missing my favorite weapons from before the beta. Hopefully it will not be much of a grind though, as long as you can unlock something within a reasonable amount of points that you’ll have everything unlocked within a week or two I wouldn’t have any problem with it, because at that point it just serves as a way of gradually introducing weapons to players. The entire arsenal is pretty overwhelming - with just 1/3 of it available now there are already a lot of choices.

• I like progression in games like this it gives me another reason to get in and play…
    Somthing to play towards other than just endless killing if you know what i mean.

• @caldrin:

I like progression in games like this it gives me another reason to get in and play…
    Somthing to play towards other than just endless killing if you know what i mean.

I know that feeling :)
    Maybe it’s because I love RPG way too much, but if I don’t feel like I’m accomplishing something in the long run, it just doesn’t feel worth it. That’s what held me back from playing classic FPS : you log in, kill people, and then what? For what purpose? To what end? For fun, yes, but it’s not enough for me.
    So, having to unlock weapons depending on the class you play (weapons that require the skill acquired from playing the class) is fine. But I’d like to see a progression that is not restrictive, et gives you a sense of accomplishement and fake superiority towards the other, less advanced, players. But then, it all comes down to a customisation system (where you can unlock cool visual stuff), and you already said that even though you wanted to do it, you didn’t have the means to. I just hope it will be done in the future! :)

• Is the unlocking system already implented?
    I saw a guy with a stone maul and one with morningstar earlier today.

• Yea have seen some weapons but does it take long to get them?

• @SlyGoat:

I have my doubts about progression in Chivalry as well. I’m already really missing my favorite weapons from before the beta. Hopefully it will not be much of a grind though, as long as you can unlock something within a reasonable amount of points that you’ll have everything unlocked within a week or two I wouldn’t have any problem with it, because at that point it just serves as a way of gradually introducing weapons to players. The entire arsenal is pretty overwhelming - with just 1/3 of it available now there are already a lot of choices.

Like I said I’m 100% against an unlock/progression system but if it MUST be in the game have an advanced option where I get to pick my starting weapons and then unlock the rest from their. This way you get the best of both worlds players that know what they are doing can start with their favorite weapon but still have to unlock other weapons and you still have the gradual introduction of weapons for new players and the sense of accomplishment unlocking everything for those that like this.

• I’m mixed on weapon progression. I welcome it when it’s not a huge grind, but sort of encourages you to try out all the weapons in the game. However, I do prefer how that worked in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory where your XP in the match went toward unlocks that were reset after the campaign ended. New campaign and everyone at square one, by map 2 or 3 everyone has a few items unlocked in the classes they were playing.

• Well, i was guys from team “void” playing with 2-handed warhammer.

How can we have those ?

Team Void is a russian gaming clan, do you want to make the game enter GSL ? It’ll be soo awesome to see fights between pro gamers, so epic !

• I dislike slow unlocks and progression systems that are just there to keep you “grinding” to use the equipment you want, especially when the later equipment is much more viable in combat than the earlier one. I do not mind it in games if it is there to not overwhelm newcomers and give them a good balanced starting choice of weapons to select, while the other weapon sidegrades gradually unlock as you play within the next few hours.

Maybe this whole thing could be solved to give an option of having all weapons unlocked or you could unlock them through the progression system and get a little thing that shows that you leveled through it normally (banner, badge or something like this).

I think all weapons should be available in the beta, if you choose so, so you can test them all and see if they all work fine. Please activate all weapons if you can. :)

• I can’t wait to unlock the crossbow’s red dot sight! (trolol)

But seriously though, I guess you guys are aiming for a “Call of Duty with swords” type experience so I’m all in favour of unlocks and a progression system if there are some cool rewards that encourage it :)

• I’m all for unlocking weapons in the CoD style, as long as it’s balanced and not overdone. It was about perfect in CoD2 and CoD4 - the later CoDs, not so much.
    Please don’t turn into Activision when you got such a good game and great team of developers.

• I sort of like having my weapon choice limited at first. I was pretty overwhelmed coming into the alpha and having all the classes and weapons in front of me, especially from not having played AOC at all.

So I kind of like getting forced into trying each weapon branch out for a bit though I would like to see everything unlock in fairly quick manner, which I think is what they have planned.

• I just had this idea about unlock system: what if there were basically two ways to unlock stuff: first would be session-based, i.e. the longer you play and more you score, you unlock new stuff for the class you’re playing, relatively fast, but once you quit the session, all that progress will be lost.

However, part of that session’s total score would determine permanent xp gain or something which would allow you to unlock new stuff one at a time, by gaining levels or something, where one level you get would allow you to unlock a new thingie. This way, you’d have both short term and long term goals to look for. Unlocks should probably only work per class.