Please Revert Shield Changes (or fix them) vid

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gtBdRWwPMg

1gtBdRWwPMg

Extra points for removing Falchion from game.

• As an avid shield user I second the notion for a revision on shields.

• Two shields, a Falchion, and a Warhammer. A collection of everything I hate all in one video. But yeah, that’s some pretty messed up things there. I also still can’t believe two SLASHES down a Knight.

• Falchion and a couple of other weapons seem to be notorious for getting past people’s well aimed blocks.
    I wonder if the first person viewmodel for kite shield adequately represents the actual physical hitbox coverage of the block.

• I wonder if the first person viewmodel for kite shield adequately represents the actual physical hitbox coverage of the block.

Only ranged weapons use a shield hitbox, melee is entirely done by code and all shields and parries share the exact same way of blocking.

• @Martin:

I wonder if the first person viewmodel for kite shield adequately represents the actual physical hitbox coverage of the block.

Only ranged weapons use a shield hitbox, melee is entirely done by code and all shields and parries share the exact same way of blocking.

Err what?
    Does that mean that when it comes to melee attacks, parries and shields both have the exact same ‘aiming leeway’ for deflecting attacks?

In other words, if you are defending against a slash to your side do you need to turn to aim your block with a shield as much as you would with a weapon parry?

• Yes. However, the video above is just one of a few which shows that the parry/block system in itself isn’t entirely reliable right now, although I hear this is set to be changed soon.

• @Martin:

Yes. However, the video above is just one of a few which shows that the parry/block system in itself isn’t entirely reliable right now, although I hear this is set to be changed soon.

Well that is extremely disappointing. Almost all players assume that wielding kite and tower shields also gives them extra physical block coverage against melee attacks than parries do but according to you this is not the case at all.

This revelation raises all kinds of questions. Tower shields seem even more useless now for instance.

• I have to agree with you on that, at least for first person players, the Kite is generally the optimal choice for Knights, and Buckler for MAA (in melee). I have bought up decreasing the coverage of the Tower shield in first person view to the devs but their animator is currently on a break, so can’t edit anything yet. I’d generally argue the Shields need a bit of a rebalance anyway in terms of their parry negation and such, but that’s for another topic and discussion.

We will have to wait and see how reliable parries and blocks become next patch I guess.

• @Martin:

I have to agree with you on that, at least for first person players, the Kite is generally the optimal choice for Knights, and Buckler for MAA (in melee). I have bought up decreasing the coverage of the Tower shield in first person view to the devs but their animator is currently on a break, so can’t edit anything yet. I’d generally argue the Shields need a bit of a rebalance anyway in terms of their parry negation and such, but that’s for another topic and discussion.

We will have to wait and see how reliable parries and blocks become next patch I guess.

I love you.

• @Martin:

I also still can’t believe two SLASHES down a Knight.

No he was hit 3 times.

@Sir:

In other words, if you are defending against a slash to your side do you need to turn to aim your block with a shield as much as you would with a weapon parry?

Well I knew that of course

@Martin:

Did not know that - what the hell. All this time I take a tower and its only benefit is against archers !

• @Martin:

Did not know that - what the hell. All this time I take a tower and its only benefit is against archers !

Even then, not much of a benefit because good archers shoot your feet as they are just as exposed as with a kite shield when you are walking or sprinting with shield raised.

• Lol that video spectacularly sums up how the game so often feels now: He gets a block facing the wrong way while blocking late, but you get hit while aiming perfectly and blocking early.

Been there so many times! :(

• @AngryDave:

Lol that video spectacularly sums up how the game so often feels now: He gets a block facing the wrong way while blocking late, but you get hit while aiming perfectly and blocking early.

Been there so many times! :(

No kidding.

Btw. slashes often tend to glitch through heads w/o a hit registering, even if the guy is afk and doesn’t move. You need to aim at the kneck to hit…

• Never seen that happen. Shields work fine for me without things going through it.

• Yeah, seen this happen heaps of times with Falchion as well as the Dane Axe and the Hatchet. Also stabs with two handed swords at very close range sometimes go through shields.

One suggestion to fix shields is to have them passively block all attacks, not just the ones from missiles. If that makes them OP then give them hit points like the pavise, and they break after taking too many hits. That actually seems like a fun and interesting mechanic to me. As long as you can get a new one from the ammo box.

• Thank you! This is exactly what I have been harping on about for weeks now and have been constantly shouted down and pronounced a complaining idiot who cannot play. I didn’t get rank 25 only a month after playing because I sucked.

You’ll notice this happening the more you lag. It happens to me ALL the time, and is a constant source of utter frustration for me. To the point where I have pretty much given up on Melee combat and now focus on archery only. Whats the point in melee when people can literally phase through your blasted shields? Its not just shields either, I’ve seen this happen with parries also. I’ve literally watched the graphics of an opponents weapons go into my sword as it parries, and kill my character.

There is also another totally unrelated bug involving the crossbow. If someone gets close enough, the crossbow literally fades inside an opponents character model, and if the crossbowmen fires, it does no damage to the person standing in front of them.

• The only issue I have is how parries seem to block more area than shields. From my experience, when against a shield user, I can crouch and whack them in the legs if they block normally without looking down and I aim properly, yet when I do the same thing to a 2 handed weapon, they seem to block everything in front of them, even when the area I swing at is completely exposed.

In regards to the video, I have experienced the odd time when a swing went through a head with no connection, but regarding the hit through the shield shown, I can’t say I have had that experience unless there was a serious ping issue going on and the hit registered before the models showed what was going on.

But I certainly don’t want any weapons removed from the game. Fix them, improve them…. But wtf is everybody’s solution to a problem always to remove it?

Remove Archers… Remove Feints… Remove the Vanguards Charge… Remove the Warhammer… Remove the Falchion… Remove the Dane Axe… Remove the Duel Mode… Remove Citadel…

Ffs… Eventually there wouldn’t be a game left except one map and we’d all be stuck swinging tree branches at one another… Even then there would be someone wanting those removed.