War of the Roses

• Now, before you get on my back, I’m aware of the “Did this game destroy WotR” topic in GD. That’s not quite what I want to talk about, though, so here’s this topic.

War of the Roses! I saw it last year, and was immediately excited. Reading more and more about how it introduced mainstream features like unlocks (which Chivalry got), perks, and so on. A little discouraged. Then I watched a gameplay video; it looked like it played just like M&B. And it had a lot of realistic features. Hey, this sounds right up my alley!

When I realized it was Vista/Win7 only, I couldn’t play it, as I hadn’t gotten W7 yet. So I opted for Chivalry (I originally intended to get both). Since then I’ve heard poor things about the game (largely from these forums). I finally got Win7, and realized WotR had a demo. Being one to try things for myself, I did.

While I only just started and haven’t yet become intimate with the nuances of the game, I had a lot of fun! I began to think maybe it was a lot of bias that led them to say WotR was no good; after all, despite appearances they’re quite different games in both design direction and execution.

From my time in the game, I saw a lot of “Short-pronged Bills” which were essentially Billhooks on a shortened haft, made into a one-handed weapon. Dunno if they’re just flavor-of-the-month, an end-game weapon or actually OP somehow. I also heard from the people I was playing with that Footmen are a “starter class” and thus strictly worse than anything else (which is something that would not fly in Chivalry, as everything is intended to be equally useful).

So, what do you think about it? Do you like it? If you don’t, what didn’t appeal to you? What kind of issues were/are there? Have you checked to see if they were fixed? I’m not going to ask anyone to censor themselves, but I would ask to see as little fanboyism as possible. After all, you’d be preaching to the choir; I don’t spend so much time writing posts on the forums because I hate Chivalry! :P

• I gave it a try and was pretty unimpressed. I really like a lot of what they tried to do with the custom class building - I absolutely love stuff like that, tweaking every detail of your class to fit your playstyle - but in the end all of the customization stuff didn’t feel very balanced, which defeats the purpose. I just can’t appreciate the core gameplay, either. I was never a big fan M&B’s core combat; it worked, but I never felt like it was the best way to do a melee system, and WotR doesn’t improve on it, while being worse in some places.

The eye candy is nice, the class system is cool, but overall it wasn’t for me.

• I tried the demo and to me the fighting mechanics are boring and don’t work for me.

• Well there’s a free weekend, so I’m downloading that right now. I doubt it will beat chivalry, but it looks pretty good.

• @Wingy:

[image:3lh1k5y3]http://i.imgur.com/DU3GMSn.png[/image:3lh1k5y3]

:D/

WotR fans and Chivalry fans should come together in peace and decapitation-focused harmony!

• I wanted to see if the free weekend was any different from the trial. It doesn’t seem to be. :? Still can’t make custom classes.

• All that screenshot shows is that you’re not steam friends with me. Way to go, chief.

• @Xeekik:

All that screenshot shows is that you’re not steam friends with me. Way to go, chief.

Nobody likes you, go away.

• @SlyGoat:

I wanted to see if the free weekend was any different from the trial. It doesn’t seem to be. :? Still can’t make custom classes.

Yeah, it seems to be bugged, or the “free to play weekend” is just a marketing ruse.

Pretty bad move if it was the latter, but I doubt it. It probably has to do with if you played the trial before, since that’s what I did.

• @Xeekik:

All that screenshot shows is that you’re not steam friends with me. Way to go, chief.

How many goats can I friend before I lose faith in humanity and quit steam forever?

Edit: READY YOUR TIN FOIL HATS

[image:14rz01nq]http://i.imgur.com/3oaG4MT.png[/image:14rz01nq]

• @Wingy:

How many goats can I friend before I lose faith in humanity and quit steam forever?

I was playing Red Orchestra 2 the other day, and met someone who was talking funny in voice chat. So I asked him to make a goat sound, and it was one of the most adorable goat sounds I’ve ever heard. Then someone else asked him to do George Takei, and this repeated, creating a cycle of "baaah"ing and “Oh my.”

Like a really feminine goat. Kinda like… which goat around here wears panties? It was a Vq goat, it wasn’t SlyGoat.

On topic: Castillon swords stab faces like a champ. It seems to be a sword designed for thrusting, resembling a Broadsword with a more triangular shape. Can anyone find historical info on it? It seems like it’d be a great addition to this game, as people have before expressed a desire to see a thrusting sword, but all they could think of was the rapier which doesn’t fit the period.

A sword slightly slower and slightly longer (alternatively, faster and longer, but with much weaker damage) than the Broadsword, with better thrust damage and worse Swing damage. It might even deal SwingBlunt (as a thrusting sword may not have sharpened edges).

• The norse sword is primarily a stabbing weapon.

• @KingOfPolarBears:

The norse sword is primarily a stabbing weapon.

While this was purportedly the case in the past, I disagree. The Norse Sword suffers a mere 5 less damage on its Swings, while retaining equal damage for its thrust. It’s faster, but it’s shorter. The Norse Sword’s thrust windup is equal to the Broadsword, however, with faster combo and release speeds. Meanwhile, both swings are overall much faster than the Broadsword.

So, equal damage, comparable speed and shorter reach. The Norse Sword’s thrust is fine, but I perceive it as an all-rounder like the Broadsword. I use it as a chopping weapon.

• War of the Roses and Chivalry are finally tied with the number of players currently on. Too bad WoTR is on free weekend….

Didn’t chiv have over 10k people on free weekend? lets see what WoRT peaks at this weekend.

• @ChuckingIt:

War of the Roses and Chivalry are finally tied with the number of players currently on. Too bad WoTR is on free weekend….

Didn’t chiv have over 10k people on free weekend? lets see what WoRT peaks at this weekend.

I highly doubt WotR will ever compare to Chivalry. Amusingly, despite its greater wealth of mainstream features (its unlock system seems to be far grindier, for one) it’s more of a niche game. It’s got a more difficult to learn combat system, with little nuances. Most people don’t expect to do no damage because they swiped a sword at a footknight.

It’s more realistic. Naturally, it’s more niche. But I think it fills that niche well, despite all its problems (of which Chivalry has many as well).

Also, as far as I know, Chivalry has had more coverage of the typical YouTube celebrities. Criken did a video about it. I think TB did too, but it’s possible he favored Chivalry and/or condemned WotR.

One thing I do find amusing about the game is its slogan. “Skill is not an unlock.” You’d think this would be a slogan for a game that proudly eschews unlocks, though it seems to be an excuse for its unlocks (as in, “Hey, we have unlocks, but it’s still skill-based!”)

• @NikolaiLev:

@ChuckingIt:

War of the Roses and Chivalry are finally tied with the number of players currently on. Too bad WoTR is on free weekend….

I highly doubt WotR will ever compare to Chivalry. Amusingly, despite its greater wealth of mainstream features (its unlock system seems to be far grindier, for one) it’s more of a niche game. It’s got a more difficult to learn combat system, with little nuances. Most people don’t expect to do no damage because they swiped a sword at a footknight.

It’s more realistic. Naturally, it’s more niche. But I think it fills that niche well, despite all its problems (of which Chivalry has many as well).

Also, as far as I know, Chivalry has had more coverage of the typical YouTube celebrities. Criken did a video about it. I think TB did too, but it’s possible he favored Chivalry and/or condemned WotR.

One thing I do find amusing about the game is its slogan. “Skill is not an unlock.” You’d think this would be a slogan for a game that proudly eschews unlocks, though it seems to be an excuse for its unlocks (as in, “Hey, we have unlocks, but it’s still skill-based!”)

TotalBiscuit made much more explicit coverage on WotR than he did on Chivalry as far as I’m aware. His (in-)famous “WTF is …?” does not feature a single Chivalry vid while having one on WotR. He eventually also did a video comparing our two medieval madhouses with eachother, pointing out the flaws and perks on either one. At that point he only mentioned he slightly favoured Chivalry more because of the execution of Meleecombat and Multiplayer objectives.

The “coverage” of Chivalry through The Gaming Station’s “Battle Royale” and “Duel Tournament” events may not only be accredited to him, though his personal YT-fame may have helped raise awareness on the game.

• @ChuckingIt:

[image:2ytav5fv]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7279872/topten.jpg[/image:2ytav5fv]