Run (shift key) is bugged / Parry is non-cancellable

• In short, the run key is very buggy and needs to be fixed. It is very bothersome to have to constantly lift up the shift key and press it down again, and again, and again, and again after people bump into you, you get hit, your avatar bumps into level geometry or invisible walls, etc. If getting hit is intended to temporarily interrupt run, that is fine by me, but if the player is holding down the shift key, that means he wants to run. This is a simple playability issue and is one of the problems that makes the game feel highly unresponsive at times.

The second issue is that parry is not cancellable. This is very frustrating when, in comparison, you can practically swing your weapon and stop over and over using Q, but for some reason cannot cancel the (very long) parry animation.

To make matters worse, if you accidentally double right click your mouse during a fight, your character will automatically “queue” a second parry immediately afterwards that you also cannot cancel. This is frustrating and illogical! Why can parries be “queued” at all? They are not combos. Again, this is an issue of responsiveness and playability, and really needs to be fixed to enhance functionality.

It might also have the added benefit of making the game more skill-based (when right-clicking to parry an incoming swing that is “feinted” at the end of the windup, you could respond by “feinting” out of your own parry to respond more accurately).

• Sprint and queuing issues are going to be improved soon.

• @HaHawk:

The second issue is that parry is not cancellable. This is very frustrating when, in comparison, you can practically swing your weapon and stop over and over using Q, but for some reason cannot cancel the (very long) parry animation.

It might also have the added benefit of making the game more skill-based (when right-clicking to parry an incoming swing that is “feinted” at the end of the windup, you could respond by “feinting” out of your own parry to respond more accurately).

I agree and while this is not a bug, it’s something I’ve been thinking about too. It seems the simplest solution to improving the chances of defending against feints. Right now falling for a feint is basically a guaranteed free hit on you. And it really isn’t difficult to make someone fall for it.

• @SlyGoat:

Sprint and queuing issues are going to be improved soon.

Thanks so much for the quick response and validation. I (and many others) are excited about seeing the game getting better! :D

• @AngryDave:

@HaHawk:

I agree and while this is not a bug, it’s something I’ve been thinking about too. It seems the simplest solution to improving the chances of defending against feints. Right now falling for a feint is basically a guaranteed free hit on you. And it really isn’t difficult to make someone fall for it.

Yeah. The way I see it is — if I can wind up a swing and cancel it over and over again (Q, Q, Q) — why can’t parry be the same? I think this would not only fix my gripe above about being unable to cancel “queued parries”, but also have the added benefit of giving you more control over your actions in the game (responsiveness) and make feinting less foolproof for the attacker.

• Because if you could feint parries, there’d be no penalty for missing a parry. If you can simply parry, then cancel it (negating the parry recovery) and parry again, it’d be like having a shield without the downsides.

I mean, it’s a decent idea, but all of the “buff parry” suggestions make shields even less viable than they are now.

• @Daiyuki:

Because if you could feint parries, there’d be no penalty for missing a parry. If you can simply parry, then cancel it (negating the parry recovery) and parry again, it’d be like having a shield without the downsides.

I mean, it’s a decent idea, but all of the “buff parry” suggestions make shields even less viable than they are now.

You’d still be able to hit someone between the active hold time of a parry. But parry would probably need a minimum hold time before you can cancel it so it isn’t totally insta-spammable. Although trying to spam it would kill off your stamina fast anyway.

It would require a bit more thought to feinting attacks rather than simply feint once>attack which seems to currently work 90% of the time. You’d probably have to time multiple feints to hit between the shorter parries.

• @SlyGoat:

Sprint and queuing issues are going to be improved soon.

Thank you for letting us know that those two issues are being worked on. Those are probably my two biggest issues with the game right now and having them fixed will bring the game to the next level for me.

• @HaHawk:

To make matters worse, if you accidentally double right click your mouse during a fight, your character will automatically “queue” a second parry immediately afterwards that you also cannot cancel. This is frustrating and illogical! Why can parries be “queued” at all? They are not combos. Again, this is an issue of responsiveness and playability, and really needs to be fixed to enhance functionality.

I’m glad someone else noticed this too, I posted a topic about this but no one responded. :( I hate it when it happens, it gets my killed and messes me up a lot.