"Climb to the Top" Style duel mode.

• I think we have all thought about the way duel mode works, and i have a suggestion for a mode i think would portray a lot better who is the best, and not end up with a list of players where the top 5 players are X-0 or X-1 and the bottom ones 2-9. “Climb to the Top” would feature a pyramid based tournament, where you have the champion in the top, then the second and third, then the next 4, 8, 16, etc., until the list is cleared. At first the positions would randomly be set, and duels are chosen based on the people on your level on the pyramid, if you loose, you fall down one step, and if you win you climb one to the top. Whoever wins on the second level goes on to fight the champion for the top, and whoever looses gets dropped to the third level. The process is repeated for a specific amount of time and/or number of duels until the champion is determined. An option is to have as many duels as players, that assures everyone an equal chance to the top. Finally a scoring system could be put in place to keep a ranking 1-# of players, for the current match.

Post any ideas or suggestions you think of for this mode.

• Sounds good! I especially like the visual cue of how well you’re doing with the pyramid.

Another system that wouldn’t rely on people at the right level being free for a fight would be a mini ELO-rating system. If there are several in the pool you get matched with the most even. You get more points for beating someone above your weight and lose more points for losing against someone below. This resets after each game. Maybe the starting score is some arbitrary number, maybe it is your rank.

• That is almost exactly what we have right now, except there is no pyramid diagram to keep track. The current system is: you win, you gain a victory, you go higher than a player with more losses; you lose, you gain a loss, you go lower than a player with more victories. Same score are ex aequo.

The only difference is the current matching algorithm, which could be altered without adding the pyramid scheme design. It has been suggested before: that players would fight mostly against other players of similar score, not randomly across the board between the worse and best player of the server.

• I like this idea, right now duel mode can repeatedly pair you with with people who have no business fighting you. Not to sound cocky just to be realistic, people should fight those on par with there level. So a person who is 5-0 doesn’t fight a person who is 0-5. That is what I got out of this right?

• @Kenuric:

I like this idea, right now duel mode can repeatedly pair you with with people who have no business fighting you. Not to sound cocky just to be realistic, people should fight those on par with there level. So a person who is 5-0 doesn’t fight a person who is 0-5. That is what I got out of this right?

Exactly