I'm done with this game…

• I was kicked from a server for asking the people there not to feint (second time this has happened). I was telling them how broken feinting is and everything, yet they refused to listen and continued to spam feints. Feinting is broken. Please fix it, or better yet, remove it. I know there are threads out there for feinting, but I just wanted to tell you guys why I stopped playing. This game is not fun when everyone is feinting. Feinting is pure guesswork. Great game and all, and it use to be fun, but feinting really ruins it. :(

• I’m so sorry how you think people care you’re quitting this game.

On a possibly more grim note, the way this game is made, you can only kill someone by feinting or other means of trickery. If you’d rather play a game of parry + lmb until somebody loses all their stamina, by all means go ahead.

• @Dakilven:

I’m so sorry how you think people care you’re quitting this game.

On a possibly more grim note, the way this game is made, you can only kill someone by feinting or other means of trickery. If you’d rather play a game of parry + lmb until somebody loses all their stamina, by all means go ahead.

Thank you for the laugh (unless you weren’t joking, but… can someone be that ignorant?), although it doesn’t really help. :)

• I’m dead serious, I hate the feinting too, but in AoC it was much worse.

Knights in full plate armor went into ninja-jump 360 overhead mode just to get you to parry so they can land a hit. It drove me insane.

• @Dakilven:

I’m dead serious, I hate the feinting too, but in AoC it was much worse.

Knights in full plate armor went into ninja-jump 360 overhead mode just to get you to parry so they can land a hit. It drove me insane.

I don’t even remember feinting in AoC. I’m not sure if you’ve ever playing without feinting, but it isn’t parry and attack spam over and over until someone runs out of stamina; you actually fight. The way feinting is now definitely isn’t intentional.

• @Shasow:

I don’t even remember feinting in AoC. I’m not sure if you’ve ever playing without feinting, but it isn’t parry and attack spam over and over until someone runs out of stamina; you actually fight.

The stamina bar in AoC was atleast 30% of what we have now, and there was no feinting so you had to be agile or jump and overhead, sometimes flailing around and confusing your enemy to your benefit.

Oh yeah, and archery in AoC wasn’t completely fucking impossible as it is now in Chivalry. I’m rank 32 and i still have no clue how to shoot a bow accurately.

• Sorry you feel that way, but you can’t tell people on any server that they aren’t allowed to feint. Who are you to force it upon them? Unless you own the server and wish to make it that way, then so be it. Otherwise, it’s IN the game and that’s just how it is. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to get better with it and get better than those who feint constantly. It’s not impossible.

And no, there was no feinting in AoC, but man, it sure was harder to fight there lol.

• I’m not gonna lie… I don’t feint that much to begin with. But if some dude was trying to get a whole server to not feint through complaining about how broken it was… I wouldn’t be able to resist feinting every attack directed at that guy… :bonk:

• Go play on official TO servers I see a faint maybe once in a blue moon. Then someone does and I’m like aww thats cute.

• I’m sorry feinting drove you away from the game. :( I hope you enjoyed the game overall. They may not remove them. But they will most likely change them a bit.

• If you have a decent enough computer while playing Chivalry, you can tell feints easier if you look at the blade. It requires skill and attention towards the blade rather than looking at the player. It is difficult to learn at first but you will see the blade twitch/vibrate and eventually you will get better at looking at the blade and your surroundings at the same time.

You also HAVE to learn animations and their max drawbacks.

Doing this requires you not for you to not suck, but to actually put effort to learn this game and also time. You can play this game any way you want, but learning specific mechanics will make you a better player and make the game easier for to play.

I play on 800x600 resolution atm and barely 20-40 fps most of the times. I cannot see the blade/tell max drawback because of frame skips and such but it really doesn’t matter. I can’t tell on this computer if the feints are going to be there or not because it is GUESSWORK for me because of the computer. While on my boyfriend’s computer, I can easily tell things and always fare a lot better.

Not calling you a scrub, but not wanting to use mechanics for whatever self limiting reasons, is the definition. Not telling you to FOTM either. I’m just saying, learn the game, put a little effort into your hobby and it might be a little more enjoyable rather than going in games spamming m1 and calling it a day.

Just my 2 cents.

• Blades vibrate as a method of distinguishing between a feint and a real attack? That’s simply not true, sorry but I have to correct you there. Apart from a fully functional crystal ball, there is absolutely nothing you can do or use to determine whether an incoming attack is real or not; if there were then there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many anti-feinters as there are because then it would truly be a L2P issue, not to mention it wouldn’t even be a proper feint.

• The whole problem is that the feinting mechanic only works when there is not network issue at all.

I used feints for a while but I clearly noticed that taking into account feints actually decreased my chances of winning a fight. This is almost completely due to the lack of time you have after a windup to block. When I block just before an attack lands, the hit will still land due to pig issues most of the time. Compared with the few times a feint is actually initialised, this makes considering feints decreasing your chances of survival by not being able to block a normal attack in time due to lag.

When you block just before the attack hits (as the loading screen says) about half of the time (depends on how fast the weapon is of course) you are in time client side, but due to network issues the hit still lands. You have to block relatively early for a hit to parry consistently.
    With most weapons you HAVE to block before the windup is over, since due to network issues you will not be able to block in time.

Especially with fast onehanders the lag is even bigger than the windup, making defending against feints impossible.
    Maybe in a perfect lan environment this will work since you literally have more time to consider whether it’s a feint or not. But on normal servers this is not doable in a skillful way.

• Feinting has hardly been a problem4 me.
    Because Zee Bucklaa shield

• @Martin:

Blades vibrate as a method of distinguishing between a feint and a real attack? That’s simply not true, sorry but I have to correct you there. Apart from a fully functional crystal ball, there is absolutely nothing you can do or use to determine whether an incoming attack is real or not; if there were then there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many anti-feinters as there are because then it would truly be a L2P issue, not to mention it wouldn’t even be a proper feint.

This is why I like feinting though. It promotes the attack! Instead of the sit back, stare at your opponent and wait for his first strike to block it. Instead, the person on offense has the upper hand! But if both players are aggressive, then it becomes a matter of who’s footwork and timing is better. The way you beat feints, is to make your opponent react to you rather than you react to them.

tl;dr ATTACK!

• @ChuckingIt:

@Martin:

Blades vibrate as a method of distinguishing between a feint and a real attack? That’s simply not true, sorry but I have to correct you there. Apart from a fully functional crystal ball, there is absolutely nothing you can do or use to determine whether an incoming attack is real or not; if there were then there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many anti-feinters as there are because then it would truly be a L2P issue, not to mention it wouldn’t even be a proper feint.

This is why I like feinting though. It promotes the attack! Instead of the sit back, stare at your opponent and wait for his first strike to block it. Instead, the person on offense has the upper hand! But if both players are aggressive, then it becomes a matter of who’s footwork and timing is better. The way you beat feints, is to make your opponent react to you rather than you react to them.

tl;dr ATTACK!

So, the person with the fastest weapon will always win? I don’t like the way that sounds. And only attacking will get you killed… very fast.

• @Shasow:

So, the person with the fastest weapon will always win? I don’t like the way that sounds. And only attacking will get you killed… very fast.

I must show you the fine art of the Brandi Stock someday. Anyhow, and attacking doesn’t mean running forward all the time. It just means if an enemies means to engage you, start your attack first(or if he is a noob just let him miss and kill him lol). And of course you will die occasionally, but that is part of the game!

• @Dakilven:

Trickery does not have to be executed with a mechanic that forces a coinflip. There are many ways to fool your opponent into blocking early, but none of them are beyond human reaction time besides feints.

• @The:

@Dakilven:

Trickery does not have to be executed with a mechanic that forces a coinflip. There are many ways to fool your opponent into blocking early, but none of them are beyond human reaction time besides feints.

Your reaction time must be pretty low if you can’t see a feint. I always try to block late so even if they do feint they still hit my block. Or a adapt for the next hit as I know he’s gonna feint. Learning how on combat feints makes you invincible.

I still can’t use them though.

And there are plenty of other ways to trick someone. And there’s always that secondary weapon.

• Sorry but there is no reacting to feints currently, so not sure where you’re getting that from. If people have mysteriously found a way to react to feints other than using crystal balls, then I honestly would love to see it in the form of videos - I’ve yet to see a video on how to react to feints and I know exactly why, because their entire purpose revolves around not being able to be reacted to. Besides, if there were ways of reacting to feints, then the feints wouldn’t even be feints would they? Every Tom, Dick and Harry would be able to react to them, reacting to/countering feints would then be a L2P issue and not a design/balance issue, and there wouldn’t be a poll with almost (over?) 300 voters and over 50% wanting changes to feints, in some form, and pointing out the fact that they are entirely guesswork, which is fact by the way, not opinion. I still can’t believe there are people claiming you can react to feints, or that they aren’t guesswork.

There are essentially 3 valid arguments for and against feints which can be broken into the following:

1. Entire removal of feints because they are guesswork mechanic in a self-proclaimed skill based game.
    2. Rework or nerfing of feints because they are an overused (this word being the key word for this point) guesswork based mechanic that outclasses every other mechanic but the appreciation that feints, in some form, are necessary as an added mechanic to prevent attack-parry-attack-parry spam.
    3. Keeping of feints in their current form (including everything associated with it - the fact it can be spammed with only stamina as a downside, costs little stamina and can be done without consequence, meaning no recoveries, or forced real attacks) because the guesswork based mechanic prevents attack-parry-attack-parry spam.

#1 is the least popular because nobody really wants to see an entire mechanic removed, reworked sure, but removed no.

Keeping feints because they are ‘not guesswork’ is not a valid argument because if they weren’t guesswork, then people wouldn’t be arguing they are used to break the attack-parry spam would they? Keeping feints because they can be entirely reacted to is not a valid argument either because it is physically impossible in the constraints of the game. The current feint is designed so that they cannot be reacted to -

Minimum time damage can occur after windup phase = 0.0 seconds
    Minimum time left of windup phase a feint can occur = 0.0 seconds

As long as there is no gap between those 2 figures, it impossible to react to feints, and before anyone puts words in my mouth, I’m not suggesting adding a gap either.

Hopefully that helps clear that up.