Option to disable/toggle Vanguard Sprint Attack

• An option to disable or toggle or add a new specific keybind for Vanguard sprint attack would be a nice feature.

The Vanguard sprint attack is problematic as it is very predictable and easily dodged, particularly with the polearms and spears as they do not swing in an arc like the swords do.

Also, the sprint attack is either useless or a non-viable attack for certain weapons against certain classes - bardiche being the most infamous example as the sprint attack deals less damage against knights & vanguards than it’s overhead or slash attacks.
    Thus in the bardiche’s case, it is more damaging, reliable & quicker to do an overhead or slash.

While the developers have acknowledged that the sprint attack is in need of a rework (& damage rebalancing), an easy solution, in the interim, is to either implement a toggle option in the game settings as to whether or not your character will automatically prime for a sprint attack once you’ve ran the sufficient time required.

However, the primary need for this feature is because the sprint attack has a nasty habit of interfering with people’s ability to slash while sprinting as both actions rely on the Primary Attack keybind to execute but the sprint attack takes unwanted priority.

Players should not be forced to do a sprint attack if they press their primary attack button when they want to perform a slash nor should players be forced to momentarily drop out of sprint to cancel the sprint attack ‘readyness’.

It’s also worth noting that even while holding down the Alternate Attack Modifier key (left alt by default) you will perform a sprint attack instead of an alternate slash - the only way to do a slash (during the sprint attack ready state) is to use the key specifically bound to alternate slash.
    This is also counter-intuitive as it is forces players to only allow slashes from one direction.

Any rework on Vanguard sprint attack should avoid any kind of interference with primary attack/slashes. The only way I can see this happening is if another keybind (specific to the Vanguard) was introduced which executes the sprint attack when ready. By default, it could be made to be the same button that MAA class uses for one-button dodge.

• I see a simple fix.

You can cancel out of the ‘ready-state’ of sprint-attack.
    So when you see your arms go up (ready-state), you can either stay in that state, or you can bring down your arms by pressing “Q” (at no stamina cost).

That seems like a simple solution which makes use of currently understood/familiar mechanics.

• @g0dLyk:

I see a simple fix.

You can cancel out of the ‘ready-state’ of sprint-attack.
    So when you see your arms go up (ready-state), you can either stay in that state, or you can bring down your arms by pressing “Q” (at no stamina cost).

That seems like a simple solution which makes use of currently understood/familiar mechanics.

That’s a good idea although it would still be nice if we could save a step and choose to not have sprint attacks for your character altogether.

• Make it use the same key as the MAA dodge.

• @c4ndlejack:

Make it use the same key as the MAA dodge.

Good idea. Leave it the same, but make it a different button. The mechanic needs an overhaul though.

• Cant you just use your alternate slash?

• Yes, you can. No, you can’t. You can use it when you do a long run and see clearly that the weapon is adjusted to the position of Sprint Attack. Then you can nullify it with a secondary attack. This is not a problem (although arguably, you may not want to swing from left to right for some reason and the right to left swing is blocked by the sprint attack trigger).

The real problem is when you are running, the sprint attack has not yet been toggled by the time sprinted, decide to attack with a classic LMB swing and the sprint attack toggles just a moment before that unexpectedly so you fail to notice or are not fast enough to mentally override your carefully planned and prepared swinged in time. The realignement of the weapon is not really very fast and distinctive either, so you can trigger the unwanted Sprint Attack before the weapon reaches its position.

I think I do not have to describe the catastrophic results when you are prepared for simple side swing and do an extremely long leap attack with very slow recovery instead.

In fact, triggering it with a different button would even solve the Sprint Attack bugs because sometimes you manage to perform a standard attack or even a parry, yet the game somehow forgets to untoggle the Sprint Attack and you next LMB activates it completely unexpectedly with various disastrous results (ruined combo is the least of your worries).

Yes, the more I think of it, the more I am convinced that binding Sprint Attack trigger to different button (MaA’s dodge is a natural choice but it may have its own special button rebindable according to the player’s wishes) is a very elegant work-around until the Sprint Attack mechanics (which is of very questionable usefulness) is reworked.

• @Warhawk66:

Cant you just use your alternate slash?

@Sir:

It’s also worth noting that even while holding down the Alternate Attack Modifier key (left alt by default) you will perform a sprint attack instead of an alternate slash - the only way to do a slash (during the sprint attack ready state) is to use the key specifically bound to alternate slash.
    This is also counter-intuitive as it is forces players to only allow slashes from one direction.

• Endorse here, please.

• It’s called stop sprinting for a split second and then you don’t do the sprint attack.

• @brewergamer:

It’s called stop sprinting for a split second and then you don’t do the sprint attack.

It’s called taking the time to read the OP.
    @Sir:

…nor should players be forced to momentarily drop out of sprint to cancel the sprint attack ‘readyness’.

We have a game mechanic that (no offense TB) wasn’t completely well thought out and implemented and often interferes with Vanguard gameplay.

Yes, momentarily dropping out of sprint is a solution, but a solution of inconvenience nonetheless and it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a flawed system.
    I’m not a programmer, but it would be an easy fix to simply give the sprint attack it’s own unique keybind.

• It’s not perfect, but what I did, rather than stopping my sprint briefly before attacking someone, is using alt-swing as my LMB. This effectively disables your sprint attack unless you actually press whatever you rebound your swing attack too.

• @Sir:

It’s not perfect, but what I did, rather than stopping my sprint briefly before attacking someone, is using alt-swing as my LMB. This effectively disables your sprint attack unless you actually press whatever you rebound your swing attack too.

Yeah I addressed this point. You’re still deprived of being able to slash from the other direction unless you drop out of sprint.

Also rebinding alt-swing to LMB makes throwing projectiles or using catapults impossible or awkward to use as they both use the “Primary Attack” keybind too.

• @Sir:

Yes, momentarily dropping out of sprint is a solution, but a solution of inconvenience nonetheless and it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a flawed system.

More over, it does not always work. Just like the game forgets sometimes to toggle the sprint attack readiness after another attack or parry, sometimes it is possible to sprint attack after breaking sprint.
    @Sir:

I’m not a programmer, but it would be an easy fix to simply give the sprint attack it’s own unique keybind.

Yes, it would definitely be an elegant solution. I’m trying to promote an idea of a hotfix for this so i would appreciate your support:)

• although a bit ungainly at times I jump before coming into range if I want to use a swing attack instead of the the sprint attack. An option to reposition the weapon so as to allow for a normal swing attack would be welcome. On a related point I would like to see Vanguards have the option to use different types of sprint attacks such as a slashing or thrusting attack but with differences in range and speed depending on the weapon.

• Yea, I prefer to sprint all the time as vanguard, and it’s annoying to stop-start sprint just to be able to throw a slash as my first attack.

An easy solution worth repeating is: make a special bind for the charge attack, possibly same as MAA dodge (V). That way vanguards would have all swing options available as the first attack out of a sprint.

Thanks.

• Or make a key that starts it while you are sprinting.

• @Sinbe:

Yea, I prefer to sprint all the time as vanguard, and it’s annoying to stop-start sprint just to be able to throw a slash as my first attack.

In Beta you can use RMB while you are sprinting to take you out of charge mode without slowing down.

Hopefully a long term solution will be available.