Servers dying

• Just an observation to the community.

We started a server for our clan, and it had awesome games. Full all day. We kept it fun and as jackwagon free as possible. I personally got dozens of Steam friend requests so people could know when it was up and running, etc. Almost everyone favorited it.

More and more people are quitting or playing for less than 30 minutes now. Some times I cant even get a game going at all.

I think the game mechanics are heavily divided between “Its fine LTP” and “Holy crap there is so much to fix”.

Which direction do you think the game should go, A little more realism or tweak it here and there but leave it alone?

• Not much TB can do if people want to quit at this point.

• There is the matter of the server browser limiting you to the first 240 or so servers it picks up, when there are double, if not, triple that many Chivalry servers actually online. When this is fixed, you should see more servers with actual players in them. When I play Chivalry at 4 in the morning (don’t ask, we have this thing in RK where we play at stupid hours) I see only 10 servers with actual players in them, despite Steam stats reporting 3000 players online, this is because my browser is limiting me and only showing me the first 240 servers it picks up, and ignores every US server and some EU ones.

• @Warhawk66:

Just an observation to the community.

We started a server for our clan, and it had awesome games. Full all day. We kept it fun and as jackwagon free as possible. I personally got dozens of Steam friend requests so people could know when it was up and running, etc. Almost everyone favorited it.

More and more people are quitting or playing for less than 30 minutes now. Some times I cant even get a game going at all.

I think the game mechanics are heavily divided between “Its fine LTP” and “Holy crap there is so much to fix”.

Which direction do you think the game should go, A little more realism or tweak it here and there but leave it alone?

In my experience, if there is a dedicated player drop of significance than I would bet it is mainly because of the multitude of bugs/glitches/slight annoyances that are still present in the game (which are going to be fixed in the upcoming Jesus patch).
    I suspect feinting and balancing issues are less of a factor.

• @Sir:

In my experience, if there is a dedicated player drop of significance than I would bet it is mainly because of the multitude of bugs/glitches/slight annoyances that are still present in the game (which are going to be fixed in the upcoming Jesus patch).
    I suspect feinting and balancing issues are less of a factor.

This is the feedback I am getting. people are annoyed with some game bugs and mechanics. I am too but I keep playing. less than previously but I am seeing a TON of people just not coping at all.

• Eh, some people aren’t as patient as others. Nothing much you can do really.

TB might want to start releasing more regular updates to perhaps persuade them to stay. Updates as in fixes I mean.

Usually when someone see’s that a games has got an update, as well as having some good decent patch notes with each patch, it can convince a person to give the game another shot and/or come back to it.

• @DokB:

Eh, some people aren’t as patient as others. Nothing much you can do really.

TB might want to start releasing more regular updates to perhaps persuade them to stay. Updates as in fixes I mean.

Usually when someone see’s that a games has got an update, as well as having some good decent patch notes with each patch, it can convince a person to give the game another shot and/or come back to it.

^ 100% agree, and I fall prey to the Patch too. lol

• I personally don’t think gameplay issues have anything to do with your player count going down or to zero.

The server browser is still bugging out sometimes, which might result in your server no longer showing up to those guys who were just playing the previous night. Also, some maps and game modes are server killers. I’ve had a full server die out to half or less players on one map change, with people in chat specifically saying that they don’t like the particular map. Better admin tools could fix that since we could then bump maps easily…trying to recall the formal map name is just not happening mid-game for me, and the result if you get the map name wrong is a server crash I think.

• @Carl:

I personally don’t think gameplay issues have anything to do with your player count going down or to zero.

The feedback Im getting from a lot of guys is gameplay related. Getting stuck on much of the terrain is high on the list.

There is a map list on the forum and I saved to a text file. Just have that open, copy and past the name you want, all sorted by game style.

• There’s nothing wrong with the game for me, but I have been playing a lot less in the last couple of weeks, mostly just taking a break and playing other games, plus dealing with real world things like moving house in the next two weeks, but I’ll certainly will be playing it still when I can.

But I have noticed in the Steam Stats that it seems Chivalry is dropping in players, so something is up. But also keep in mind that the holidays are over for most in the world.

• @MUSASHI:

Not much TB can do if people want to quit at this point.

False. TBS can and should do the most to make people buy, stay and play and recomend their game!

Who else can do in your opinion if not exactly TBS?!? It’s either good game or bad game. TBS let us play this game, and if the game is good there’s more players and more players will advertise it further to their (online) friends…etc.

There was a poll about small faster hotfix patches and bigger more rare updates… the result stated cleary what people wanted. What TBS seems to care at this point is only the 1st part mentioned above - sell their game.

• i agree with u 100%, ive also added like 50 ppl on my steam just so they could find my server aswell and have easy access to sum fun, but they dnt even play this at all anymore, maybe 10 of those 50 come on to cmw, we need this game to be patched constantly to keep the player base up.
    expecially on the admining side, heck we cant even change the spawn time or round time yet, let alone all the other stuff we have to deal with as admins that make it a pain to even do.
    tighten up TBS if this game isnt fixed properly and regularly u think any1 of us is gna buy ur next game, i know i wont unless u give us what we want and deserve in this game , which is fix the broken stuff, make it easyer to admin, admin functions that work, being able to type while not spawned would be a step in the right direction, little things like this every week being hotfixed is the way to show ppl u care and want to keep ur fan base.
    every1 says oh they r a small team yada yada and they have all personal lives, well i feel this SHOULD be ur personal life till its fixed, u got our money now give us what we deserve pls and ty

• @Cpt-Praxius:

But I have noticed in the Steam Stats that it seems Chivalry is dropping in players, so something is up. But also keep in mind that the holidays are over for most in the world.

Not really, its been fairly steady at just under 3,000 for weekdays while kids at in school/college and then higher for the weekend. Obviously over christmas holidays stats were higher.

• @Martin:

There is the matter of the server browser limiting you to the first 240 or so servers it picks up, when there are double, if not, triple that many Chivalry servers actually online. When this is fixed, you should see more servers with actual players in them. When I play Chivalry at 4 in the morning (don’t ask, we have this thing in RK where we play at stupid hours) I see only 10 servers with actual players in them, despite Steam stats reporting 3000 players online, this is because my browser is limiting me and only showing me the first 240 servers it picks up, and ignores every US server and some EU ones.

So I just ran the alternate server browser with a mod to count the players. It showed 447 servers with 647 players. Steam stats show 1400 players online. Of course its Thursday morning 9.30am so not going to be many north and south american players online. But not sure where the other players are, maybe unregistered servers.

One thing that was a detriment to non-official servers post patch is that many times when I join them and my rank drops and weapons get locked again.

That is pretty annoying when you want to play with a particular weapon.