Remove Vertical Look Up / Down Restriction (Projectiles)

• I’d like to revive this, as it was an old grump way back from Alpha. I hate the way that you can’t vertically look fully up / down, you can only tilt at a slight angle.

Currently it enrages me on a map like Citadel, where I’m running up to the walls and someone’s shooting me from them, and I can’t look UP enough to aim at them! Many a time I’ve had to walk wayyyy back to be able to aim up enough to hit them, and by then I’m right out in the open.

I understand this may cause problems with melee weapons (look-down overheads already being a problem), therefore is it possible to “unlock” the camera to look 180 degrees up / down with only projectiles (inc the Javelins) equipped at least please? I can’t see any reason not to.

• I feel like this is an unnecessary addition which may create problems in some unforeseen way. I don’t think this is that big of a problem, and I don’t want it created new ones. Just my 2 cents Bob. :|

• How though if it is ONLY when holding projectile weapons? (If it’s easy to seperate it like that).

I don’t know of any other game that doesn’t actually let me fully look up / down. It’s a right pain in the arse when archering.

• @BobT36:

How though if it is ONLY when holding projectile weapons? (If it’s easy to seperate it like that).

I don’t know of any other game that doesn’t actually let me fully look up / down. It’s a right pain in the arse when archering.

So if you change weapons, your camera will snap back to center?

• Can’t see why not? Or at least snap to the normal boundary. Since that would only be vertical, and when change weapons, I can’t see that being an issue. All depends on if it’s easy to seperate it per weapon like that.

Fact is when I’m stood on a ledge like in Ruins and someone is below me (not even directly under), I can’t hit them, and that’s daft! Nor can I actually shoot back UP at people in maps like Citadel etc, especially after managing to reach the walls in the first place.

Like I said I can probably understand why with the melee weapons, and there’s never any reason to fully look up / down with those anyways, but it’s important for projectiles, especially when trying to get height.

• @BobT36:

Can’t see why not? Or at least snap to the normal boundary. Since that would only be vertical, and when change weapons, I can’t see that being an issue. All depends on if it’s easy to seperate it per weapon like that.

Fact is when I’m stood on a ledge like in Ruins and someone is below me (not even directly under), I can’t hit them, and that’s daft! Nor can I actually shoot back UP at people in maps like Citadel etc, especially after managing to reach the walls in the first place.

Like I said I can probably understand why with the melee weapons, and there’s never any reason to fully look up / down with those anyways, but it’s important for projectiles, especially when trying to get height.

I personally like the defenders on a wall having an advantage. Gives you a reason to find a tactically defend-able spot. Just 2 cents from a guy who doesn’t play archer.

• You’ve still always got an advantage when on the wall since you can just crouch and use the edge of the wall as cover.

However as an attacker, using the wall itself for the same kinda thing (just a tad more exposed) should be just as relevant, shouldn’t have to run way back in the open just to get a shot off at the couple of pixels of their head visible anyways, because you can’t look up enough to aim at them.

With projectiles it’s just, wierd and shouldn’t be like that. I can’t think of any reason for it to actually be.

• Wouldn’t this make the models look even more ridiculous?

• I played the game when models could look all the way up/down. All I can is, the models looked very wrong. Originally, when it was first limited, it was limited a lot harder than it is now, but because of Ranged weapons not being able to shoot down at targets on the ground, it was made a bit more lax.

Having said that, allowing ranged weapons to look further up/down than melee weapons, and locking melee more could be something to consider, you can just have the camera return to boundaries on the ranged weapon switch-out animations so it makes more sense instead of snapping.

• I don’t like it because it makes pushing the ram on Stoneshill much harder for the attacking team. Hugging the castle wall is really the only way to avoid the majority of the archers on top of the ramparts.

• @ReMixx:

I don’t like it because it makes pushing the ram on Stoneshill much harder for the attacking team. Hugging the castle wall is really the only way to avoid the majority of the archers on top of the ramparts.

Aye but you’re actually able to shoot UP at them too.

Couple of crossbowmen Rambo’ing it up there to the wall, then blasting the archers in the face would work well. You just can’t do that kind of thing, or any other tactic other than stood out in the open atm with the restrictions.

I’ve been tracing someone with a crossbow before, just about to fire, and they’ve just moved a couple of pixels too high where I can’t aim at them anymore, even though they’re still on my screen, makes me rage.

I know it isn’t a simulator etc but I can bend my back and look straight up or down in real life, but silly restricted so much in game, really don’t know any other game that does it. I really think this helps BOTH teams by giving more options and strategies, and pretty just removes that frustrated, restricted feeling.

• Think about it this way- it’s nearly impossible to shoot a bow and arrow either straight up or straight down. Drawing the string gets particularly hard, and you’re certainly not going to be able to aim.
    Also, crossbows weren’t very able to shoot down, the bolt would slip down. And if you think about it, throwing a javelin straight up or straight down is also very difficult.

• @PedroFromHell:

Think about it this way- it’s nearly impossible to shoot a bow and arrow either straight up or straight down. Drawing the string gets particularly hard, and you’re certainly not going to be able to aim.
    Also, crossbows weren’t very able to shoot down, the bolt would slip down. And if you think about it, throwing a javelin straight up or straight down is also very difficult.

I disagree with everything you´ve said, it´s pure nonsense to me :-). But no offense…
    Having the high ground as an archer is a bit tricky, especially on the walls of Stoneshill or Citadel. Therefore I see no reason to cap the view for looking down with bows and javelins.

Conclusion: YES

• @funthomass:

@PedroFromHell:

Think about it this way- it’s nearly impossible to shoot a bow and arrow either straight up or straight down. Drawing the string gets particularly hard, and you’re certainly not going to be able to aim.

I disagree with everything you´ve said, it´s pure nonsense to me :-). But no offense…

Have you ever shot an arrow from a bow? Used a crossbow? Thrown a javelin? Fired a rifle, even.
    It’s simple physics and human anatomy. You can’t shoot vertically straight up with any of them whilst still being able to aim to any reasonable degree. With the javelin you can’t even attempt to throw it vertically at all. Unless you can bend your waist 90 degrees backwards.

Or would you care to elaborate on why you disagree and exactly what part is nonsense?

• @PedroFromHell:

@funthomass:

@PedroFromHell:

Have you ever shot an arrow from a bow? Used a crossbow? Thrown a javelin? Fired a rifle, even.
    It’s simple physics and human anatomy. You can’t shoot vertically straight up with any of them whilst still being able to aim to any reasonable degree. With the javelin you can’t even attempt to throw it vertically at all. Unless you can bend your waist 90 degrees backwards.

Or would you care to elaborate on why you disagree and exactly what part is nonsense?

With a rifle and crossbow you can shoot vertically up and down. With a bow you can fire vertically up as with a javelin. Have you ever done any of these? It doesn’t sound as though you have at all.

• @lemonater47:

With a rifle and crossbow you can shoot vertically up and down. With a bow you can fire vertically up as with a javelin. Have you ever done any of these? It doesn’t sound as though you have at all.

Yes I have. Though technically possible, it is so difficult and impractical that I don’t see why anyone would ever try. With a modern recurve bow it’s not so bad, but we’re not talking about modern bows. Have you ever shot an authentic wooden longbow? It’s not just the draw strenght that makes it impossible, it’s the size and the draw length. You can’t do it without drawing the string past your usual anchor point. Medieval warbows were usually drawn to the ear, you’d need to draw beyond your ear and risk catching it with the string, which would not be a pleasant experience.
    I’m not talking about generally up, I’m talking about vertically up. You know what vertically means, right?
    Throw a javelin vertically up? Unless you’re doing some weird underhand thing, it simply can’t be done.
    Again, vertically, that’s straight up. As far back as you can go before looking backwards.

• No thanks

• @Tummeh:

No thanks

Why? Provide reasoning.

Also I disagree with the realism arguements, many aspects of this game are not realistic. This would be for gameplay purposes.

As to PURE vertical, it doesn’t necessarily be that, just a bit higher than it is now as currently it prevents attacking anyone on different levels of elevation. Being on HIGHER GROUND than your opponent should be a BOON as an Archer. So should making it all the way up to the ledge that archer is on, an being able to use the edge as cover for return fire (especially crossbows), not having to wander back out into the open.

• I see no issues with this, especially given realism arguments hold no water (as always). I’ve always found it obnoxious I can’t fire ranged weapons up or down. It definitely shouldn’t be allowed for melee weapons, but others have addressed this already.

Yes, please! :)

• @PedroFromHell:

@lemonater47:

Yes I have. Extensively. It simply can’t be done. With a modern recurve bow it can, but we’re not talking about modern bows. Have you ever shot an authentic wooden longbow? It’s not just the draw strenght that makes it impossible, it’s the size and the draw length. You can’t do it without drawing the string past your usual hook point and to your ear, forfeiting any hope to aim.
    With a rifle it’s also ridiculous to aim vertically up with both hands whilst still maintaining a sight picture and hitting a target. You’re bending your waist so far back that you lose all stability, and the stock has to rest practically on top of your shoulder.
    I’m not talking about generally up, I’m talking about vertically up. You know what vertically means, right?
    Throw a javelin vertically up? Unless you’re doing some weird underhand thing, it simply can’t be done.
    Again, vertically, that’s straight up. As far back as you can go before looking backwards.

You can throw a jav vertically up just not that far. Crossbows are by far the easiest to shoot up and they have vertically no recoil. Firing a rifle vertically up means you do have to shift the position of the rifle a bit and that puts a bit more strain on your shoulder and back when firing though it still means you Arn’t bent backwards as much and your still comfortable. Don’t do it with a large 12 gauge hunting shotgun. Hurts a bit. Still possible. I did it with a .303 also, didn’t hurt as much. I have used a yumi bow and the instructor fired it vertically upwards. It landed more or less where he was standing (he did move out of the way) it wasn’t a windy day. I didn try as I thought it was stupid and I was more likely to injure myself or others.

Maybe you should do some stretches. Or get outside more. You don’t seem that nimble. And verticqlly up means 90 degrees.