New weapon: Rapier?

• Forgive me if i missed a thread discussing the same suggestion

This being a medieval game, I’m surprised the arguably most well known sword of all has not been implemented, The Rapier (known by many names, this being the most well known). Although largely replaced during this time by the short swords, this weapon maintains its well earned respect even in the modern era. Its a surprise its not already in the game already!

Statistics wise, it is of course, a thrust weapon, and would most likely handle a lot like the spear of the vanguard, consisting of two thrusts, and one…not so effective slash, basically being the big brother of the thrusting dagger, and the sword form of a spear, trading a little bit of speed for some range. I would assume, it would become part of the third line of MAA and Archer Secondaries, at least in my opinion. (as our butter shield, the buckler, was often paired with it.))

Using Thrusts, i would say it would either be a 2-3 hit on a MAA and archer with body shots, and a 4-5 on the body on knight (vanguard falling in between). So it wouldn’t be quite at spear power level, but it would be quicker, and very deadly…

Its faults would lie in numbers, lacking slash damage, it would not be a very effective weapon if you were to be outnumbered, unless you can make it dance~

Overall, I’m sure my assumptions could use some tweaks, but overall, i think such a famous weapon deserves its place in the game.

TL:DR?

Rapier

(under my ideas)
    Secondary for Maa and Archer

Primary use: thrusting

Pros:
    Good reach
    Powerful Thrusts
    Fast (for a sword)
    Good in 1 v 1

Cons:
    Weak slashes
    Poor for groups of enemies without good care

I appreciate constructive criticism, just don’t be rude, I’m only human and could of miss a key bit of data or mis-balanced it

• Indeed this has been suggested before, but you have described it very nicely. This sounds like a good weapon overall. But here are my concerns.

How it will turn out in the game.
    How much the damage will be.
    And how much (specific) damage it will give to players.

But pretty good weapon in my opinion.

• @Thatoneguy5314:

Indeed this has been suggested before, but you have described it very nicely. This sounds like a good weapon overall. But here are my concerns.

How it will turn out in the game.
    How much the damage will be.
    And how much (specific) damage it will give to players.

But pretty good weapon in my opinion.

Overall, i think it will most likely be a favorite of some archers, given that they are willing to sacrifice the range and/or blunt damage of the light secondaries. And those who need those slashes or blunt will stick with the light swords/clubs already given. The problem area i see is the duel thrusts, combos might be too fast and no combos wouldn’t maintain the spirit of the actual weapon, so the speed would likely need to be carefully balance. I see a lot of parry’s and then quick thrusts as the primary way of using it, slashes only there for stunning and not so much damage. Very frustrating for cumbersome knights, until his back up arrives, in which case, unless the user can make the sword dance, they are better of retreating. Overall a good stalling weapon for the less experienced and a deadly tool for those who can master it.

As for specifics… I’m not to good at deciding…

• @CommanderLuna:

This being a medieval game, I’m surprised the arguably most well known sword of all has not been implemented, The Rapier

Probably because it wasnt a medival weapon.

• Also it is a weapon of sports and duels mainly, not intend to cause huge wounds for lethality (hence the rapier is seen in civil duels and not on the battlefield).

It would be a fun weapon and have a nice niche though (although the norse sword would share some stabby characteristics). It would be what the saber is against the broadsword, more range in exchange for less damage.

• @NIB:

@CommanderLuna:

This being a medieval game, I’m surprised the arguably most well known sword of all has not been implemented, The Rapier

Probably because it wasnt a medival weapon.

I’ll admit i got the date of its appearance wrong, but then again, so have there been a few other weapons already implemented. So its no reason not to have it.

@Nivve:

Also it is a weapon of sports and duels mainly, not intend to cause huge wounds for lethality (hence the rapier is seen in civil duels and not on the battlefield).

It would be a fun weapon and have a nice niche though (although the norse sword would share some stabby characteristics). It would be what the saber is against the broadsword, more range in exchange for less damage.

Good point, and even less effective at slashing than the Norse as well