Is this game dead?

• I see fewer and fewer servers populated, mines been empty for over a week, lesser full servers as I can see. Are people finally beginning to see the light?

• Games come and go but for some reason dweebs like to post on forums even after they leave…

2700 peak on steam today and its only 8.30pm EST. No change.

Maybe they just didn’t like your server…

• lmao I just owned his ass so he is butt hurt

• @elitenoob:

lmao I just owned his ass so he is butt hurt

What?

• @elitenoob:

lmao I just owned his ass so he is butt hurt

LOL now this ^ was a random post. XD

• I sure hopes its not dead. I just bought a crap ton of Chivalry stock.

• In before Musashi.

• @Andrew:

In before Musashi.

But… that one time sales declined after a sale! He totally predicted that!!!

AMAGAWD.

• Our playercount is peaking 3x higher than War of the Roses, and they’re doing a free weekend. :(

• I’ve noticed a significant decline in the number of players over the past 2 weeks. I play almost nightly in Australia and have been watching less and less servers appearing (I hide the empty servers), 3 full duels servers are now down to 1, which is perhaps half-full. 2 32 player severs that are sometimes TO and sometimes rotation, often those servers are really not 32 players more like 25ish when you actually join. Then there is 1-3 FFA servers, usually one is full of false players when you join no-one is there, the other 2 are often 5-16 players.

Only 2 weeks ago, those numbers where easily doubled.

It seems TB missed acquiring a critical mass of players by |–| that much. The remaining players are generally the good to very good players so any new person joining just gets creamed, giving them a significantly harder learning curve then when there are many players of their same level. This means that a new player is much less likely to stick to learning the game, as they are continually beat down by 90% of the people they play against.

This is a big problem for Torn Banner, free weekends and hard discounts will help boost the numbers a little, as it brings that population of new-medium players into an acceptable range. As it stands, sucks to be the new guy big time.

• This game isn’t dead, nor will it die. As long as the clans are around, they’ll never let it die. And this isn’t like AoC. Free weekends will come and go, sales will come and go and people will come and go. It’s just like any other game. It gets put on the back burner for awhile and then people will come back.

• @Xeekik:

@Andrew:

In before Musashi.

But… that one time sales declined after a sale! He totally predicted that!!!

AMAGAWD.

You know I’m being facetious MOST of the time however.

When you have sale after sale and a free weekand that gets your product out to a huge amount of people and it just so happens that your game cannot retain the majority of them and is continuing to leak players that’s a problem. We’re talking about 20k+ user peak going down to 2.7k….

I don’t care about the community size because that’s what Chivalry deserves tbh. 2k-3k peak is fine for this game, but the issue is something was fundamentally wrong with the product if it turned that many people away from it.

Do you realize that Warband an older game has more players on it than Chivalry which was literally the flavor of the month indie game on steam for the past few months?

Or you could just troll me again.

• It is true, whilst there are a number of Hardcore players (I’m one of them, for now) the game will always live on.

However due to the nature of this game, us hardcore players absolutely decimate any new player. It couldn’t possibly very fun for them. O sure, we can encourage and teach and whatnot, however fighting someone who’s skill level is way beyond your own is frustrating, makes learning very difficult and will generally lead to a very low retention of new players.

I believe a large part of this issue is the feinting system. It was described best as this:

Feinting is incredibly easy to perform, and incredibly hard to defend against. A new player has almost no chance defending against a feint, and because they are creamed so quickly, they don’t get much of a chance to practice feinting.

Torn Banner needs to look into mechanics and incentives that allow a new player to enjoy the game and not get creamed by the majority of expert players that now populate the game for the most part.

I understand that there is an option for rank limits on servers. That would be very useful to use next time TB has a free weekend/big discount day(s). Be sure that each region has at least 2 official servers. 1 being rank 0-15 the other being 15-100+, and label it very obviously. That way the new players can learn against each other instead of getting gleefully carved like butter by the level 30+ butchers.

• I plan to play this game for many years to come.

Ofcourse if something drastically doesn’t change with the game or real life.

• Gave up playing video games4 lent.
    Until Easter

Havent played sence Feb13 ;)
    but boy is it HARD :(

• And someone had to bring up feinting as the problem.

It’s hard for new players to get into the game due to experienced players kicking their ass?

We were all new players at one time… I was a new player around Christmas time and I, like everybody else who was new at one time, died a lot. Yet I and many others didn’t just walk away because of it.

Yes, some players probably did… But that’s the way games go. Some games have a high learning curve and that’s what makes them so great and keeps players coming back, while others just want to be spoon fed kills and victories without any effort, otherwise they just leave and complain that it’s all crap.

So do some here want the game to be dumbed down so it’s much easier, with no thinking involved just to attract more players?

Seriously??

• @Cpt-Praxius:

And someone had to bring up feinting as the problem.

It’s hard for new players to get into the game due to experienced players kicking their ass?

We were all new players at one time… I was a new player around Christmas time and I, like everybody else who was new at one time, died a lot. Yet I and many others didn’t just walk away because of it.

Yes, some players probably did… But that’s the way games go. Some games have a high learning curve and that’s what makes them so great and keeps players coming back, while others just want to be spoon fed kills and victories without any effort, otherwise they just leave and complain that it’s all crap.

So do some here want the game to be dumbed down so it’s much easier, with no thinking involved just to attract more players?

Seriously??

But feinting does actually make it way easier to get kills. :P

• @AngryDave:

Not in pubs. Too much spam to feint. I just run around stabbing and overheading in pubs lol.

• @ChuckingIt:

@AngryDave:

Not in pubs. Too much spam to feint. I just run around stabbing and overheading in pubs lol.

exactly noobs don’t fall for feints, they are too busy lmb slashing haha

• @MUSASHI:

Do you realize that Warband an older game has more players on it than Chivalry which was literally the flavor of the month indie game on steam for the past few months?

Hasn’t M&B been out longer, and doesn’t it have a shitload of mods?

Sorta same thing with Half-Life, look at how many players have bought THAT, yet how many have actually played the game I wonder.

A game like Chiv is always going to be pretty niche, something people will pick up for a bit of fun and put down, then maybe play again later. It had a huge-ass sale on over christmas and received quite a lot of hype, therefore a LOT of people will have bought it just because of that, hype.
    You know how good that works heh, OMFG CoD BEST GAME EVAR BUY NAO!!11 etc. A lot of people buy games just because everyone else is.

Also when they get into the game they find they actually have to put some effort in and LEARN! That’s going to put a lot of them off heh. As to myself I’m not surprised a lot picked it up when it was on sale, had a play and put it down again. That doesn’t say “bad game” to me, it just says “Not for everyone / not a generic Modern War FPS”.