Stoneshill Melee Immunity?

• As we all know, Agatha has a castle. The castle makes people inside completely immune to melee attacks… My concern: why is there no possible way to gain access to the castle other than breaking the door? Could have ladders, broken wall parts, or something to use in order to get up there and melee these guys… This, of course, is my personal opinion…

What do you guys think? Should there be Mason access to the castle top so they can actually melee Agatha? Or should Agatha get melee immunity while on top of the wall?

• Melee immunity. It’s what a castle is. :D

• @Matti:

Melee immunity. It’s what a castle is. :D

This is true. however, I don’t see any reason why the catapult can’t knock over a wall and the rubble leads to the top part…

• Everyone fighting on the outside would actually make it harder for masons… I think.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Matti:

This is true. however, I don’t see any reason why the catapult can’t knock over a wall and the rubble leads to the top part…

For gameplay sake it would be pretty fun, but as it stands its one of the few spots for melee immunity and if masons did have a ladder or knocked down the castle wall, they wouldn’t need the ram anymore. So I voted yes.

• @Anonymoose:

@Slaughtervomit:

@Matti:

For gameplay sake it would be pretty fun, but as it stands its one of the few spots for melee immunity and if masons did have a ladder or knocked down the castle wall, they wouldn’t need the ram anymore. So I voted yes.

That makes perfect sense. :)

• I voted no, mainly since I see some potential in making this objective more sophisticated.

It should not be a simple hit on a wall to make it collapse, but there can be another option to gain access to the castle which would have the same ‘expected value’. Meaning there could be a ladder in the village the masons can bring, however this would be easily prevented for setting up or kicked away. (or the agathians can break it).
    It would be nice to have other options to gain entry on this level, as long as the ram maintains it’s viablity as an option to gain access.

However access to the castle BEFORE the completion of the objective would break it for me. The intruder could have just as easily assassinated the king rather than get to the archers on top of the wall.

• How about the Masons figure out that they could extend the roof of the hood of the ram to protect the rammer from the oil first?

Dumb Masons. :roll:

• @Nivve:

I voted no, mainly since I see some potential in making this objective more sophisticated.

It should not be a simple hit on a wall to make it collapse, but there can be another option to gain access to the castle which would have the same ‘expected value’. Meaning there could be a ladder in the village the masons can bring, however this would be easily prevented for setting up or kicked away. (or the agathians can break it).
    It would be nice to have other options to gain entry on this level, as long as the ram maintains it’s viablity as an option to gain access.

However access to the castle BEFORE the completion of the objective would break it for me. The intruder could have just as easily assassinated the king rather than get to the archers on top of the wall.

But the idea for the ram is for the main force to have access… The ladder should be an option for a single person or very small group to get up there and do some damage… Castle seiges aren’t always only through the front door… That’s just where the main force gets through.

• Let’s then agree that the assumption is that the respawns in total resemble the bulk of the army and I agree.

There needs to be a limit to where the masons could go in the castle (spawn killing), but how to do that without limiting the archers ability to go back in the castle?

• @Nivve:

Let’s then agree that the assumption is that the respawns in total resemble the bulk of the army and I agree.

There needs to be a limit to where the masons could go in the castle (spawn killing), but how to do that without limiting the archers ability to go back in the castle?

Good point!

• @Nivve:

Let’s then agree that the assumption is that the respawns in total resemble the bulk of the army and I agree.

basically this, i play archer and even i think its stupid that they can hide up there with no worries but the few enemy archers that do nothing but fling arrows at you, instead of pushing the ram. it also means that agatha will need to put some of its forces into defending their balistas, as its a lot easier for the masons to fire at them than the agathians…

• Maybe give the middle hill a siege tower (siege only to make it have an explanation of being there) so mason archers have some more defensive strength against the agathan archers.

It’s not so good as providing acces to the castle, but it would pose some sort of larger threat to the agathan archers and some more counter measures.

• Having a stack of ladders or something would be cool, although I don’t feel it is necessary. Have something where a mason could slowly carry a ladder over to the wall, then slowly climb up would make for interesting gameplay, but as others have mentioned you would need to find a way to stop them from being able to go down into agatha’s spawn without stopping agathians from going up and down. A cool idea, would be nice if it was implemented, but I don’t feel that it is necessary.

• @venom2:

Having a stack of ladders or something would be cool, although I don’t feel it is necessary. Have something where a mason could slowly carry a ladder over to the wall, then slowly climb up would make for interesting gameplay, but as others have mentioned you would need to find a way to stop them from being able to go down into agatha’s spawn without stopping agathians from going up and down. A cool idea, would be nice if it was implemented, but I don’t feel that it is necessary.

Yeah, this discussion is more of a “what if” thing rather than “make it happen!!!” thread.
    :)

• I don’t like the concept of any player essentially getting to play “target practice.” I already think the game favors archers in too many ways and this map is one of the worst offenders. You should never have as much autonomy, freedom and space/battle controls as the archers do up there. Forcing defense to bring archers and direct those archers to areas away from the objective in which the defending archers can simply back off for a second leaving the offensive ones waiting or having to switch focus allowing the defensive ones to retake position.

All of these advantages with no commitment or conviction because if needed the defending archers can still run down and participate regularly.

I just don’t like the idea that during some points of the game a lot of the players become part of a “hunting game” for others standing at range rather than a battle between two players in which both are vying for success rather than one vying for the right to live and the other vying for a kill point. Archers don’t have nearly enough downsides for that.

• Just make the catapult be able to hit all segments of the wall and make some holes in its surroundings so that catapult can see where it shoots.

• Stoneshill archers on the wall aren’t immune from my catapult that’s for sure. :)

But I’m all for having ways to get up their and giving those archers a well deserved ass pillaging. I think anyone whose played Mason a few rounds on that map would agree. :D

• I play archer predominantly on this map and don’t see it as a problem. The Mason archers always find a way to kill me. :D