Letter to developers - FFA duel servers

• This is a letter to the developers.

I appreciate that you created the duel mode, but i have to say that i do not enjoy it nearly as much as i enjoy the ffa duel servers where you press c or nod your head to initiate a duel with another player.

I´m sure that many will agree for many diverse reasons, but thats just how it is.

Now the problem, is that most new players are not aware that even though it is labelled as an ffa server, it is not in fact an ffa server. So these servers are getting ruined by people that don´t follow the rules.

My suggestion is simple and easy to implement.

Simply add a fancy rule screen when the player enters the server, that states the simple rules, and that they have to tick to an “i agree” box before they enter, and if they will not oblige to the rules, they will be instantly votekicked by the players on the server.

I sincerely hope you will acknowledge this letter, because i am 100% sure that everyone agrees.

• MOTD

• FFA duel servers still exist, some have The “Duel” label on it, others don’t.

most of the duels servers i played in where improvised, they had few players some started dueling and then the people who joined later dueled too.

some on its own duel, others where watching duels, circling the players.

• @danezcou3:

because i am 100% sure that everyone agrees.

I disagree

• @elitenoob:

@danezcou3:

because i am 100% sure that everyone agrees.

I disagree

Judging from your post history it seems like you’re trying to start arguments just for the sake of starting arguments. That’s probably not a good idea…

• I can’t comment on how easy it would be to implement a MOTD screen in UE3, but I definitely want to see them too, and it’s been requested a lot in the past - so I’m fairly sure it’ll happen eventually, because we do try to give the community new features it wants, it’s just a matter of when.

• @SlyGoat:

I can’t comment on how easy it would be to implement a MOTD screen in UE3, but I definitely want to see them too, and it’s been requested a lot in the past - so I’m fairly sure it’ll happen eventually, because we do try to give the community new features it wants, it’s just a matter of when.

I swear KILA’s server had a MOTD that showed up in the center of your screen when you joined.

• No, it didn’t, but Ret had bound a message to some keys I think to bring up messages every so often when he was online. At least you can do that… but an official motd will do wonders.

• at least for now something could be entered into the chat box automatically upon join, like some sort of admin messages there. you couldn’t really agree to them… but w/e. Or it could be something like the votekick box, haha. Hey, do you accept to duel… yes…no… if you hit no you are votekicking yourself. So yes is no and no is yes.

• Agree with everything OP has said.

• @bada:

MOTD

Aye, an MOTD would be great.

I’ve stumbled into a couple of these FFA Duel servers assuming they were regular FFA, then ended up arguing with whatever quite possibly noble and chivalrous but unfortunately illiterate horsecollar is first to shout at me without explaining the nature of the server.

An MOTD would make it easier to identify the nature of the server, so that I could choose to stay for some duelling or leave for somewhere less weird.

• Aye, OP is indeed a scholar and a wizard. MOTD would be great, seeing as how it’s pretty hard to find a good retro dueling server that isn’t populated by people who can’t read and thererfore play it like a free-for-all. In addition you could also create a new mode “retro dueling” which is pretty much ffa with the MOTD added in.

• Until the MOTD has been fixed what I have been doing is using the “SAY” command which will stay in your console scroll list until it is over written. So that every time I get killed and I remember, I will hit ~ to bring up console and then arrow up key till I see the message I want to use.

For example:
    SAY Welcome to the KiLa THUNDERDOME FF=100% TK=kick ban No pings > 150 Under 16 stay off the mic

SAY KiLa TeamSpeak 3 server 64.57.221.57

You can save up to 10 commands in your console that you can scroll through
    adminlogin
    adminkick
    confirm x
    adminchangemap AOCTO-xxxxxx_P

and the like. Sadly if you continue to type in new commands they overwrite others once you max out.