Initial Impressions - Post here!

• Developer

Hey guys! We would love to hear your first thoughts on the game, it is very very valuable to get this kind of first reaction. Also makes it easier for us developers to read if we keep them in one place, let that place be this thread please! Thanks and we will do our best to respond to you guys :).

• I expect to like the game when I get to play against humans ;) The bots tend to be rather passive a lot of the time. Looking forward to having servers in the server list…

• 1st
    Hysterics

• @Wade:

I expect to like the game when I get to play against humans ;) The bots tend to be rather passive a lot of the time. Looking forward to having servers in the server list…

I like it already with only bots. When they act, they aren’t too bad, if you don’t count archers. After you guys have fixed the bugs, it will be a very good game!

• Not too shabby. Well worth the price I paid (roughly $18). I like some of the similarities to War of the Roses… I miss that combat system (the mouse altering the swing direction)… but there’s a lot done right. I feel like the shield mechanics in this game are far superior. This game is definitely faster paced and more deathmatch feel to it.

Not bad. Good job overall.

• Ok My first impression,

Negatives:

Archer is really bad, it should be exactly like AOC Archer (point the arrow tip and shoot, you can’t hold arrow anymore… one click and it auto shoots so you have to hope your lucky stars that you land that shot). Even the Crossbow is on delay, it should be the same as old AOC. That style of shooting is the best out of any Medieval game or anything with a bow.

Fighting seems a little slow and sluggish, animations need to be better, I can’t seem to move (mouselook) from right to left easily no matter what sensitivity (higher/lower). I’m sure you guys already know about the major bugs etc i.e When you leave server it freezes.

Overall I love the game, Just need a few changes and tweaks. Archer is my biggest concern. This new style has basically killed all the fun out Archer. MIX the OLD with the NEW guys. Keep the Old Archer system from AOC it is by far the most accurate, realistic and play worthy.

Positives: SWORDPLAY IS GREAT! Sure needs it’s tweaks too but right now Sword Fighting is better and easier to learn than Archery. Longbow has really gone to crap. As much as I love this game, I would like to see improvements in the coming weeks.

Will you guys be updating during beta or will everything be fixed upon/after release?

Thank You. :P

• I’m really loving it… Very different form just about anytinve I’ve played before (no, unfortunately I never played Age of Chivalry). Still not doing to hot, but I think that’ll come with time. I haven’t had any super major issues yet, just that hang up when leaving a server, so great job!!

see you in battle! :berz:

• @GATMAN:

Ok My first impression,

Negatives:

Archer is really bad, it should be exactly like AOC Archer (point the arrow tip and shoot, you can’t hold arrow anymore… one click and it auto shoots so you have to hope your lucky stars that you land that shot). Even the Crossbow is on delay, it should be the same as old AOC. That style of shooting is the best out of any Medieval game or anything with a bow.

Fighting seems a little slow and sluggish, animations need to be better, I can’t seem to move (mouselook) from right to left easily no matter what sensitivity (higher/lower). I’m sure you guys already know about the major bugs etc i.e When you leave server it freezes.

Overall I love the game, Just need a few changes and tweaks. Archer is my biggest concern. This new style has basically killed all the fun out Archer. MIX the OLD with the NEW guys. Keep the Old Archer system from AOC it is by far the most accurate, realistic and play worthy.

Positives: SWORDPLAY IS GREAT! Sure needs it’s tweaks too but right now Sword Fighting is better and easier to learn than Archery. Longbow has really gone to crap. As much as I love this game, I would like to see improvements in the coming weeks.

Will you guys be updating during beta or will everything be fixed upon/after release?

Thank You. :P

You can hold the arrow on the longbow, it is a known bug that it sometimes forces you to shoot. We are looking into it :)

• The main thing is the game is pretty fun and flows quite well…

Some bad points… the game is suppose to have a deep meelee combat system but at the moment its very basic. I dont usually liek to compare similar games but you need ot take a look at the way War of the Roses and Mount and blade have handled the melee combat… Directional attacks in all directions and direction blocks to go with it… Chivalry jsut seems to have a really basic system at the moment… left click to swing and right to block with athrust and high attack on middle mouse… there is just not as much control.

Maybe you guys where not aiming for that but for me a deep melee combat system needs to be deep :)

Archers well again check out the games mentioned above… war of the roses has done another stellar job with the ranged combat… its a lot more than just hold left mosue and release.

Well good points…

I love the level design some of the objective modes are just so much fun to play i soon start toforget about the bad points :)

Graphics of course are really nice but could to with some of unreals DX11 features :)

Loading speeds and general game performance are also really good :)

All in all i do like the game and dont regret backing you guys… but the combat system needs to be worked on a bit if you want to carry on calling it deep :)

• Good:

The hit detection is a great improvement on AoC, it feels really good. Also the movement compliments that hit detection well. I feel like I can really side step and evade attacks even as a knight without sprinting using just subtle movements. The game looks great, the maps are pretty and well laid out. The game is fun!

Needs Work:

I think something needs to be done to let newbies know they are attacking a teammate. If you want to keep the HUD clean, I’d suggest having your teammate automatically yell something out after a couple of hits like “Stop that, I’m on your team!”. There’s a lot of accidental TK’s that people don’t seem to realize they make. Map changes are too quick, there should be 30 secs after map ends to chat and look at scores. There should be a little more info for newbies to know what to do next. I couldn’t tell if I was getting score points for pushing carts, etc. If not, there should be something, would also be nice if there were kill assists.

• I think it is a much better melee combat system than WOR. There is quite alot more control with your sword. The only thing I dislike with the combat is (believe it or not) it is way too fast movement of characters. They have to slow it down so it does not become a button mashing free for all. I want to see the blow coming so I can react to what is coming to make it a drawn out melee. More strategic. Right now it is a guy running around you in circles. The fighting should be like Excaliber. There was a fight scene in the movie that was soooo realistic. Remember people… they have heavy armour on which slows their movement.

All in all the game seems pretty far ahead in Beta. Just needs a few tweeks here and there (like the loading screen keeps loading…loading …loading when you jump out of the game. You have to ctrl,alt,delete to get back into game.

• The game is so much more than I expected. I have been recommending it to people all day long. The swordfights are intense and even when lost feel satisfying, they archery is dead-on and the system is extremely fun. I think a few things I would like to see changed are in the UI. I wish the game would save my filters in the server menu from start to start. I would also like to see a vote kick option in the future. People often go AFK in games, and I’ll admit I have as well. It often delays the game and can get annoying, but I think the worst experience I have had on the game thus far is all the complaining. I was just in a game with someone where he threw slurs, insults, and complaints at people like crazy because they were killing him. Whether he was joking or not I have no idea, but either way it pushes the idea that a vote kick would be a great addition. If there is one, I have no idea how to use it.

• Developer

There is a votekick, type votekick in console followed by the users name.

• Okay, so after 10hrs of playing ! I can say that the game is really fun, there are some neat features in there and the combat feels fresh and fast. Brutality is just awesome with all the taunts =) The game delivers soo much to the player and do indeed give you a feeling of dark, gritty medieval battlefield in all its glory ! Sounds and such are really good and I like hearing the scream of peasants and knaves dying at my feat !

But there are still some points that I would like to mention. I really like the maps I do, but I would like to see some objective maps that are longer and that have more objectives. So larger objective maps that lets you go through a long bloody battle would be great if its possible !

Something to praise you greatly with is the Tutorial ! That is really shining glory and I almost thought that it was a Singleplayer, I just got a really good feeling from that tutorial, it was really great indeed. Though that also leaves me with wanting to have some sort of a Singleplayer that could take me through one or two battles in King Argons army.

I would say that this is the best 50dollars i’ve ever spent on a game ! If there pops up something on my mind I will post it as fast as possible ! But It is great job great job indeed =D

See you all on the battlefield :k1:

• This game is the best thing ever. I’m surprised you weren’t paid a million dollars each NOT to make this game by some corporation, just so they wouldn’t have to deal with being compared to this game. The combat is much like AOC in maintaining good combat flow, probably the biggest problem with melee combat in every other game. However, its unlike AOC in that the nuaces (feigns, dodges, needing to more accurately block) really adds alot of depth that AOC combat lacked. The faster paced combat kind of feels jittery at first, but after a while it smooths out as your mind wraps around it (turning off motion blur helped). All in all I think this game is amazing from the perspective of an experienced AOC player. The skill required to be BA at this game is going to take some time to develope, especially being able to integrate feigns and kicks into my previous techniques. I have to add that my computer is 5 years old, and this game runs awesome on it, the loading times are practically nothing.

You really have to get creative when fighting 1vs1, I love it. All in all, bravo good sirs, bravo.

• Chivalry has the best 1st person melee combat I’ve ever experienced. Very immersive, very fluent, right paced, simple to learn yet difficult to master. One thing that could improve the feel more would be more variation in swing directions, like the swing direction varying based on which direction you move so that sometimes the swing starts from left, other times from right.

There’s obviously a lot of things to improve upon, but I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Now if only you could get some persistent gaming modes in to give players and player communities something to fight for… But it’s a lot of fun regardless.

• As a finished product I would be very nervous, but as an early beta I think it has the legs to last and continually improve.

• @The:

As a finished product I would be very nervous, but as an early beta I think it has the legs to last and continually improve.

Anything in particular besides the infinite loading screen and server crashes?

• @b3h47pte:

@The:

As a finished product I would be very nervous, but as an early beta I think it has the legs to last and continually improve.

Actually those bugs were what I was specifically talking (or at least thinking) about. I do think the font/writing presentation needs work too (tutorial spelling, for example), but the actual combat itself is pretty darn satisfying. Hey, better to have a good core game that needs tweaking than a polished-looking game that plays like a mule!

• @b3h47pte:

@The:

missing textures, and other things i can’t recall

@catmorbid:

One thing that could improve the feel more would be more variation in swing directions, like the swing direction varying based on which direction you move so that sometimes the swing starts from left, other times from right…

+1