[MECH] Crossbow - Mobile Reloading (now with video!)

• I’m not sure if anyone has told you about this tactic yet. I almost don’t want to give this secret away…partly because I like shooting stationary targets, and partly because the devs might feel it’s unintentional and take it out.

What is this tactic, you may be asking?
    Even though I can’t hear you.
    Reloading a crossbow…while moving.

That’s right, you heard that correctly. Assuming you read words aloud in your head, of course.
    Otherwise you heard nothing, because this is text.

Gi_FNGiBBXg

Anyway, “How do I do this?” you may be wondering.

It’s simple. Make sure you aren’t looking far enough down to cause your character to technically turn around (try to look straight forward and you should be fine) while you’re reloading, start reloading, then hold forward and sprint. You’ll begin to very, very slowly walk forward!
    It’s actually more complex than that, though. You can start reloading while still moving as long as you don’t start reloading while looking too far down. This means you can carry sprinting momentum into reloading movement, so you can walk at a more decent pace!
    You’ll keep sprinting with your momentum afterwards; oh, and you can even walk diagonally, too.

That’s right. You could serpentine at an archer, while reloading a crossbow.
    How cool is that?
    Disclaimer: Do not actually attempt this.

You can also run from pesky pursuers, and as soon as you have some distance and momentum, keep moving while reloading, then turn around and loose a bolt into their bewildered face.

Particularly effective in FFA and duels!

However, use this tactic wisely. It isn’t necessarily always a good idea to reload while moving into a close combat scenario, no matter how hardcore of an assault archer you are; and it isn’t necessarily always a good idea to reload while retreating, since just because you’re moving doesn’t mean an enemy won’t catch you, especially since you’re moving at a slow walk.

I’m not entirely sure, but walking down hills and stairs might give you a boost of speed for the duration of the reload if you walk down them while you’re doing this; so try that, maybe.

This tactic works with all crossbows! With the light crossbow, you’ll stay very agile due to it’s short reload time, while with the heavy crossbow you’ll compensate for it’s long reload time by not standing still the whole time, and the medium crossbow is in-between as usual!

This tactic is useful for avoiding archers while reloading, staying out of the reach of frustrated enemies, and simply keeping pace as you move to the next objective!

That’s as much as I can think to tell you right now. Have fun trying this out; maybe you’ll be more effective as an archer, maybe you’ll play archer more often, maybe even both!

TL;DR: Read all the stuff in the center, pretty much.
    You lump of foul de-form-i-ty!

Feel free to post if you have question or concerns, or to tell me that I messed up my spleling[sic] or gramamr[sic] somehwere[sic].

• Crossbowmen already have a a deploy-able shield. If they can reload on the run, they will be too powerful. They’re fine as is. Most crossbows can 2 hit each class.

• Pretty sure it´s a bug but I wonder whether it´s the same bug that allows you to sprint with you bow drawn? I use this mechanic all the time, it makes you a much more powerful archer!
    I have to try it out with the crossbow now so thanks :-)!

• @LazyBoy:

Crossbowmen already have a a deploy-able shield. If they can reload on the run, they will be too powerful. They’re fine as is. Most crossbows can 2 hit each class.

“They’re fine as is”?
    This isn’t a suggestion. This is actually in the game already. Here, I’ll make a video for you.
    It’s been added to the original post.

• This made my day, great sense of humor and fantastic video. A++

• @LazyBoy:

Crossbowmen already have a a deploy-able shield. If they can reload on the run, they will be too powerful. They’re fine as is. Most crossbows can 2 hit each class.

A deployable shield that randomly explodes? Yeah real useful to deploy a pavise shield. :roll:

• Your aspect ratio is absolutely horrid o.o

• @Odeken:

Your aspect ratio is absolutely horrid o.o

About like mine on some of my videos before? It happens ;)

• um

I don’t know what say

yes I do

best fucking video ever

• So I was using this the other day and it caused me to full-on sprint while aiming… Was awesome.

• Fantastic music, rofl.

Also hmmm this is a tad OP/exploitey, HOWEVER, I think this mechanic would be PERFECT for the Light Xbow.

I think the others shouldn’t be able to do it though, especially the Heavy one heh. But yeah it would be a great feature for the light one, would give it a bit of an extra edge over the others. :)

• I’m guessing this isn’t a bug. In the Beta the animation is even smoother and if you’re running when you press reload it does it automatically.
    I like to stop for a second first anyway though, so archers can draw a bead on me and then I move forward while finishing the reload to the sweet, sweet sound of arrows hitting the ground behind me. :D

• @Odeken:

Your aspect ratio is absolutely horrid o.o

My aspect ratio or my field of view?

I have a non-widescreen monitor, so that would explain any aspect ratio screwiness.

I have a thing against fisheye, so that would explain my FoV of 68. It also really helps me to get into my character’s head to help me block and dodge; especially when determining if a potentially whiffed attack is actually close enough to hit.