Class/weapons/balance first impressions

• Your opinions on classes and class balance:

Post your initial inpressions on the different classes, weapons and balance in this thread:

The ones I have tested so far:

Man at arms-sword: Top tier fun, and very powerufl with the current combat system. +10 points for oil pots.

Vanguard-Spear: Great reach, very fun to play as. Not as sloppy as the vanguard sword, wich is pretty sloppy. This class is so sexy IT WILL CHOP HEADS WHILE STABBING YOUR NECK.

Any knight with a tower shield: What the flying fuck do I have to do to take this guy down?

Knight-War axe:

4TzIg2U44LE

But something tells me a skilled player is much more dangerous with something faster.

• I think a knight with hammer and shield kills me most of the time. It’s the only combo with I never win. Etherwise it’s nice.

• @Wingy:

Top tier fun, and very powerufl with the current combat system. +10 points for oil pots.

Watched a friend launch a pot at an archer and caught him on fire. Weird that there was no stun or anything. Archer was still able to launch a couple arrows at him with no problems. Someone on fire shouldnt be able to do much of anything except try to tuck and roll.

• 2H long sword is useless, need to up damage
    2h axe is quite fine
    1h MaA axe is too strong, need to lower speed

• @Badger:

@Wingy:

Top tier fun, and very powerufl with the current combat system. +10 points for oil pots.

Watched a friend launch a pot at an archer and caught him on fire. Weird that there was no stun or anything. Archer was still able to launch a couple arrows at him with no problems. Someone on fire shouldnt be able to do much of anything except try to tuck and roll.

In my opinion the fire should be more of a stun/disorient weapon, and do less damage. Take them out of the fight for a few seconds, but not do quite so much damage.

• @NtiT:

In my opinion the fire should be more of a stun/disorient weapon, and do less damage. Take them out of the fight for a few seconds, but not do quite so much damage.

Agreed. As it stands there’s really no way to counter against fire.

• Fire is meant to be uncounterable. It’s an area denial/anti-turtling tool. I think with how strong it is at its area denial role compared to AoC, however, maybe it should take a moment to ignite, so if you see the fire coming you can get out of the area before it lights you up.

My only real balance concerns right now are: Man-at-Arms feels lackluster in group clashes without being particularly strong in duels because he’s so easy to slashspam to death, and overall just feels like the Knight uses his weapons better than he does save for the hatchet. Vanguard’s spear doesn’t seem to have any kind of drawback for all of its strengths in the right hands. Two stabs to the face will take out anyone, the reach is self explanatory, and the recovery time between stabs is very low - combine that with how long the stab attack lasts and it feels like you barely have a window of opportunity to gain any ground between attacks, let alone counterattack.

Smaller concerns: The broadsword feels rather weak, I almost prefer the shortsword to it in most circumstances. I think this is mostly due to slashing damage multipliers being too low against knights and especially vanguards, and the stab not being strong enough to make up for it. Being able to kill another man at arms quickly is fine, but the hatchet can do that too and still take out a vanguard in two hits. Smoke obviously isn’t really functional at the moment. Javelins - obviously, already know they’re being worked on. I can never do very well with the longbow compared to the crossbow, and have seen plenty of good crossbowers so far but nobody who’s been scary at all with the longbow - and the choice between bodkin and broadhead arrows doesn’t feel like it has much impact on the game. I still wish ranged combat had more tactical variety in general, but it is what it is. Other weapons are mostly fine until unlockables work.

Not-quite-balance-related but effects balance: speeding up while chasing someone in FFA doesn’t work because everyone is technically on the same team. Double tap to dodge is clumsy. Have been wondering lately why kick/shield bash causes you to stop moving, really limits is usefulness especially against longer weapons (unless you Bruce Lee, but jumping and kicking consumes a lot of stamina).

• Wanted to throw down some impressions here of the weapon balance as well. I finally am starting to get a grasp on the game a bit more with all the lovely people around to swing weapons at.

–-----
    At the end of the night I took the knight with the knite’s secondary mace. It felt a bit OP. I was sprinting around at no penalty whipping that thing at people like a madman. It was taking heads off left and right. I think it was coupled with the high speed and damage, also the animations are ‘high’ so it seems like i likes hunting heads by default.

Also, the animation + short range means that it almost naturally wraps around people’s blocks without too much effort on your part. In general I feel like the game has some issues with point blank attacks going through people’s guards. Right now the in game solution is to use kicks and keep your space, but I have a feeling that over time we’ll see this exploited more and more.

I have a feeling also that the knight and VG having the MAA weapons seems wrong. I think it would add some more uniqueness to the MAA (and I’m ok with the mace when MAA is using it) if the are the only one who could use the faster 1h weapons. I know the knight needs some 1h weapons, but perhaps they could have ones that are slightly toned down.

Either way the effort I had to put in spamming away with the mace vs any of the 2h weapons was very disproportionate, and that MIGHT have to do with the speed of the attack, but coupled with the head hunting damage, and the knights armor, it’s pretty intense.

Spear - I will throw in with sly about it. I think in a dueling context is is very strong. You are not going to get into its strike range by just walking/sprinting forward and blocking. You have to basically feint your way inside, hoping the spear user is going to respond to your feints to allow you time. The pushback after blocking and delay in starting to sprint forward again really can feel like a barrier that is pretty hard to break. Either way you really have to push in aggressively and dangerously (leaving yourself open to kicks) to close.

I would say that maybe leave the longest range spear attack with minimal or no pushback, and leave the overhead thrust with it still on. I really like the concept of it naturally keeping people at range, so wouldn’t want to see it go away.

Archer vs VG - This feels like a hard counter to be honest. VG really doesn’t have any tools to help, perhaps an errant throwing axe, but there aren’t walls and cover everywhere in the map, so using those to approach is not always a possibility. I wish they had something to do in their own defense besides wait to die.

The archer in general is pretty damn powerful in a full game as expected. The same frustrations are there, getting sniped across the map with no ability to retaliate. I honestly would slow down the fire rate of the archer and add a bit more arc to their shots.

I think this is most problematic in last man standing games as when you are respawning, eventually you can just zerg the archer and they are in trouble, but in a 1 life per round mode, they are pretty brutal.

So again these are just first night impressions. I didn’t really get a weapon balance feel in alpha too much as I didn’t get too many regular games.

• I agree Spear has no drawbacks. You can’t close because recovery time before the next swing is too low, and the user doesn’t even have to mix up swings. Stab…stab… stab…

• The main balance issue I’ve noticed with over 10hrs of gameplay is the speed of the knights. They are just simply way too fast, also there really aren’t any drawbacks in being a knight; They have the best armour, can take the most hits and have insanely good weapons. Are there even any recognizable difference between the classes movement speed to begin with? Don’t get me wrong, a scenario where an archer would run-shoot-run-shoot-run against a heavy knight is something I do not want but slowing down knights would make the game a lot better balanced. Either have the lighter armour and speed or have the great armour and be slow. Right now it’s light armour, same speed, heavy armour and same speed as the lighter armour guys which doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Running in full speed should also use stamina, the running attack with a heavy weapon is a bit overused at the moment. If it’s 8 vs 8 in a battle and lets say Masons have 6 knights in their team, there simply is nothing that the other team can do to stop them at the moment. Unless they too change to knights.

• I think I agree with Sly a bit. After playing an archer for a while I find that bows are a little weak. The bow feels weak and uninteresting, and arrow types seem to have no effect on gameplay.

And maybe it’s just me, but I can’t help but feel like arrows and bolts (shooting weapons) move a little too slowly through the air. I don’t think a shot projectile should move the same speed as a thrown one. At any distance, it feels like it is impossible to accurately fire on two combating warriors because of slow projectile speed that can’t match the spontaneous movements of combat.