Why does everyone play archer?

• More often than not, though I wouldn’t say 9 or 10 times out of 10, the class distribution is usually lopsided with archers having the most players. This isn’t a thread complaining about too many people wanting to play archer.

I want to know why it’s the most attractive class. Seriously, why? Out of all the classes, archer is the hardest to be good at IMO, yet for some reason most teams have more archers than any other class.

• Simple, most people work on their warbow and heavy crossbow at one point or another.

And it takes forever so you have to play it way longer.

• @gregcau:

Simple, most people work on their warbow and heavy crossbow at one point or another.

And it takes forever so you have to play it way longer.

I don’t know, I feel like the portion of players that are doing it for that reason alone are small compared to other reasons.

• In my opinion, archers and man at arms are the hardest to play but the easiest to win with. People play archer because it’s easy to win with, especially on defending teams. You can’t be countered or challenged unless someone else plays archer, so it’s easy to get good KDs when you don’t suck at archer, even more so now that you can oneshot knights with crossbow and heavy crossbow.

• people plays to get the helmet.

• People play archer because everyone wants to be leet sniper. 9/10 times they end up doing more harm then good. Can’t count the number of times I was fighting someone for a while and I get a friendly arrow in the back and my opponent just kills me. More servers need to put an archer limit on or else none of the melee classes will want to fight because the other 10 archers on either side just indiscriminately launch their projectiles without caring who they hit.

It’s gotten to the point where I will boot friendly archers with terrible scores to their deaths just to vent my frustration. At that point I don’t even care if I get kicked, although 9/10 times they don’t even know how to start a vote and end up calling me a fag about 10 times.

I cannot wait for the next patch.

• People play archer because there are three melee classes and one ranged class. If you feel like playing melee you have three options to pick from, so you probably won’t notice any lopsidedness. If you want to play ranged then guess what? You have only one choice so of course you notice more archers.

• @dilbadil:

People play archer because there are three melee classes and one ranged class. If you feel like playing melee you have three options to pick from, so you probably won’t notice any lopsidedness. If you want to play ranged then guess what? You have only one choice so of course you notice more archers.

Great logic, then there should be like 75% melee and not ~50% as it currently is.

• @Kyoss:

@dilbadil:

People play archer because there are three melee classes and one ranged class. If you feel like playing melee you have three options to pick from, so you probably won’t notice any lopsidedness. If you want to play ranged then guess what? You have only one choice so of course you notice more archers.

Great logic, then there should be like 75% melee and not ~50% as it currently is.

When you talk about it as percentage of hits its probably closer to 90% melee. As the javelin class is a hybrid anyway. And you run out of them quickly. Only melee archers or good archers use them. Or people who want to try them out or unlock all of them.

• Because they sucked in normal first person shooters and thought this game would better their chances by shooting at mostly “unarmed” enemies. ;)

Joking! But actually not really in some cases… rank 0 archers that still try to reload a crossbow when you are at facehug range… :?

• I find archery fun, that’s why I play it.

I used to enjoy playing melee, but a lot of the bugs and frustrating glitches that occurred mostly in melee made me grow to prefer ranged combat, especially after the crosshair change.

• @lemonater47:

@Kyoss:

@dilbadil:

When you talk about it as percentage of hits its probably closer to 90% melee. As the javelin class is a hybrid anyway. And you run out of them quickly. Only melee archers or good archers use them. Or people who want to try them out or unlock all of them.

I find the javelins easier than the bow tbh. Much easier to hit a target.

• @SOC:

In my opinion, archers and man at arms are the hardest to play but the easiest to win with. People play archer because it’s easy to win with, especially on defending teams. You can’t be countered or challenged unless someone else plays archer, so it’s easy to get good KDs when you don’t suck at archer, even more so now that you can oneshot knights with crossbow and heavy crossbow.

Well said…I agree
    btw u dont mind if i use @SOC:

archers and man at arms are the hardest to play but the easiest to win with.

for my sig? Its so full of truth.

• Magic. Magic I tell you.

How else would you explain the Mason inclination to suddenly produce 8 archers on offense just as we are tasked with pushing the ram to the gate on Stoneshill?

Every single time, by some dark malevolent force, my Mason team always suddenly adopts at least twice the number of archers than any of the most played melee classes when we beat the pillage the village stage.

• @Rodelero:

btw u dont mind if i use @SOC:

archers and man at arms are the hardest to play but the easiest to win with.

for my sig? Its so full of truth.

Absolutely. :) I just hope the game continues to improve over time.