To counter Face hugging… Unstoppable Kicks

• If the kick was made to follow through regardless of being hit, Like the follow through of a weapon mid swing, Then it would be useful to push back face huggers.

But I think that the kick should be unstoppable start to finish, not just after a certain point like the weapon swings.

The kick is slow, and you will still take damage from an enemy attack, but at least you could get someone off you.

• The problem would be people spamming kicks, if they were unblockable and unflinchable they should do no damage.

I’m all for two kicks: the standard kick and an alt-kick like the old kick which is faster but doesn’t do much damage and doesn’t give an auto-hit against shields. The second kick could be used to push away face huggers.

• @CrimsonAvenger:

If the kick was made to follow through regardless of being hit, Like the follow through of a weapon mid swing, Then it would be useful to push back face huggers.

But I think that the kick should be unstoppable start to finish, not just after a certain point like the weapon swings.

The kick is slow, and you will still take damage from an enemy attack, but at least you could get someone off you.

Have you considered:

1: Strategize around the face hugging

and

2: Face hug yourself?

Why would face hugging need to be “countered?”

Perhaps maybe some of the addresses for face hugging could be made more effective? It just seems the way the game works that you’re pretty much vying for getting in close with advantage. It seems like something to shoot for.

• We’re tossing around a potential change to kicks at the moment which will allow you to use them as either a quick pushback or a slow guard break. We want kicks to be punishable if you kick to break someone’s guard and they see it coming, but also agree not having the previous quickness is removing some cool potential from the move. Can’t go into detail right now because we don’t have the mechanic finalized.

• @SlyGoat:

We’re tossing around a potential change to kicks at the moment which will allow you to use them as either a quick pushback or a slow guard break. We want kicks to be punishable if you kick to break someone’s guard and they see it coming, but also agree not having the previous quickness is removing some cool potential from the move. Can’t go into detail right now because we don’t have the mechanic finalized.

Perhaps something along the lines of how DOA and VF program throws in their games. Most throws straight don’t take an effect if the opponent is attacking which makes attacking a clear counter.

I don’t know if script exists already to accommodate this but perhaps kicks should simply not flinch attackers at all if they are attacking. This way if someone expects a kick they could just swing to defeat it.

• @SlyGoat:

We’re tossing around a potential change to kicks at the moment which will allow you to use them as either a quick pushback or a slow guard break. We want kicks to be punishable if you kick to break someone’s guard and they see it coming, but also agree not having the previous quickness is removing some cool potential from the move. Can’t go into detail right now because we don’t have the mechanic finalized.

Can you get two different kicks with F and double-F?

• I am all for the OP proposition. If someone sees the kick coming, there is no easier way to punish it than stabbing the kicker right between his legs. That’s what I did with my halberd when people used to kick. And kick doing no damage? Well… no problem with that so long as you can toss someone to his death from a high place or into a river or lava. And an effective strategy against kicking? DON’T FACEHUG.

• @SlyGoat:

A head butt would be a nice quick pushback, teach that archer from getting in my face the little stabber.

• With the way feint is right now, there’s really nothing you can do against facehuggers at all.

• @brewergamer:

With the way feint is right now, there’s really nothing you can do against facehuggers at all.

What also makes it so difficult is that you must parry the tip of the weapon.
    When someone is face hugging, it can be VERY difficult to see/follow the tip of the weapon.

And even if you do follow the tip, it usually requires you to turn your body sideways, because they will swing at your side at that close range.
    This gives the face hugger even more advantage, because while they continue to face you, you must turn away from them to block their attacks.
    This causes you to need to turn back to them before you can execute a counter attack or parry again.
    The time it takes you to turn back around gives the opponent time to recover from their attack.

Now if the attacker is spamming say a knife, they will, if they are smart, alternate attacking your left and right side. This will cause you to need to turn 180 degrees back and forth to parry each attack.

Thats very hard to do.
    The best you can hope for is to be stuck in a constant pattern of of turn, parry, turn, parry…
    They throw in a randon feint, and they got you.
    Unless you are playing a MaA who can dash back (even during hit stun) you have no out.

We need a short range quick push off move that cant be stuffed by face hugging swing/stab spamming.

• @SlyGoat:

Great to hear! What about shield bashing (IE the lack of a shield while bashing, since attacks go right through it making it a reanimated kick)

• @Tankcommander:

@SlyGoat:

Great to hear! What about shield bashing (IE the lack of a shield while bashing, since attacks go right through it making it a reanimated kick)

That’s intentional, just like passive block only blocking projectiles.

• I’d rather kick be the way it was before the patch honestly.

• @SlyGoat:

@Tankcommander:

@SlyGoat:

That’s intentional, just like passive block only blocking projectiles.

So why do I remember the tutorial acting like the shield actually works during a shield bash? Why make a separate (lying) animation for something when you could have just used the kick? I died a few times from it before I caught on that my shield bash is pointless. The tutorial even placed emphasis that the shield bash was better than a kick because you were protected, yet it isn’t so? Why not give the shield an advantage here? You can still flank them, you just couldn’t noclip through a bash.

This is a design flaw. I’d much rather just have the kick animation so I’m not tricked into thinking I’ve actually got a working shield.

• Is it too much to ask for a separate “groin kick” mechanic? :) It would be a large windup, fast release kick that shatters the family jewels and deals something along the lines of… say, 300% times the Max HP of the player?

Of course it would be less effective against Knights due to being well protected around the nether regions and archers because they lack the aforementioned regions.

• @Dr:

The problem would be people spamming kicks, if they were unblockable and unflinchable they should do no damage.

I’m all for two kicks: the standard kick and an alt-kick like the old kick which is faster but doesn’t do much damage and doesn’t give an auto-hit against shields. The second kick could be used to push away face huggers.

Oh my, brilliant idea man!!!
    Primary kick to knock shield users and people that are slightly further away,
    Secondary knee to the nuts!!! a faster ‘kick’ for close range/facehuggers
    You have an awesome idea there Dr Zob

PS i don’t think the ‘Unstoppable Boots of Wrath’ are a good idea.

• (wheew…. a lot of people seem to want to complicate the game unnecessarily…)

Why does facehugging need a counter, anyway?

• @Dark:

(wheew…. a lot of people seem to want to complicate the game unnecessarily…)

So higher-level games don’t always devolve into it. Some of us like playing with 2 handers.

• @Dark:

It doesn’t, people just need to get better at blocking

• @BB:

@Dark:

It doesn’t, people just need to get better at blocking

you haven’t seen the video where the guy has to look behind him to block a 1 hander in front of him, have you? The hitboxes are screwy, so blocking at the tip doesn’t always work and is the main reason why facehugging is so effective right now. It even glitches through shields, so it doesn’t matter how well you block.