The ultimate Knight/VG weapon against good MAAs

• I dislike maas. I HATE good maas. Their dodging, combined with a healthy dose of feinting makes fighting them as anything short of another MAA a nightmare. And since I’m a primary knight, I resent (in a competitive way) good maas.

Allow me to document the typical good MAA i play against:

Weapon: Broadsword
    Secondary: Broad dagger/saber
    Support: EXCLUSIVELY firepots
    Tactics: The good maa ALWAYS plays on the defensive, unless his opponent is badly bloodied. By doing so, he allows his opponent to create opportunities instead of doing so himself. He is ready to capitalize on your openings while creating none of his own since he rarely aggros you. One of his special attacks is the forward lunge stab, which he uses with impunity whenever you try getting him in range. Countering his lunge stab (which requires VERY fast reflexes) will result in him dodging away, and then punishing you again for creating the opening. The hallmark of the good MAA is that he seldom facehugs, and feints only when you’re blocking him too often. He prefers fast strikes over trickery, which he uses only to land the killing blow and counter good blockers. His favorite attack is the stab.

This kind of opponent is super difficult to play against in a 1v1; even with long weapons knights and VGs WILL get trashed very often fighting a good MAA. I’ve been experimenting with different weapons, and have come to the conclusion that to have a chance of defeating a good MAA, you need to fight fire with fire.

Yes, i’m talking about broadswords for knights, and less effectively, shortswords for VGs. A shield is optional, though it comes very much in handy.

Its speed, combined with high turning on swings make the broad highly effective for countering their sideway dodges. Your health plus the weapon’s speed has good synergy since you can pursue a back dodging maa and tank his dodge stab/prevent getting your attack cancelled on windup. It is best to take a highly aggressive stance against a good MAA, and with a high health (you need 3-5 hits to die, MAA requires only 2-3) you can afford to take risks and use the broad’s speed to whittle down his stamina. Having a shield leaves you open to kicks, but if you’re good at detecting those, it gives you good protection against his lighting fast strikes while sacrificing no speed/damage/range.

Broad is the go-to weapon for me when i’m up against a good maa. What weapon do you guys choose when dueling one of these sugar-rushed hellspawn?

• @ Wangmaster

Broadsword is okay. You’ll need exceptional footwork to make up for the Broads reduction of reach.

A fast 2-hander is good. Enough power to 2 shot the MAA; Has reach; Has speed if you are good mouse dragging and positioning your body.

In general, the best way to beat a High-Level MAA is to catch him and face-hug him. He wants to keep back out of reach. He is at advantage and he dictates the first play. Get in his face and take his speed and dodges out of the equation.

To be successful in catching a MAA and to then be successful in hitting a MAA requires deception and footwork.
    In terms of footwork - you need to be sprinting as often as possible.
    In terms of deception - you need to purposely whiff attacks and follow-up quickly and/or you need to feint.

Without Feint - you cannot slay a High-Level MAA. Without Feint - MAA is God-tier.

• I find that even the SoW is too slow, since they keep forward dodge stabbing you everytime you try to get close. When they do that your attack gets cancelled in the wind-up. At least with the broadsword you have enough speed to follow thru your attack even after getting hit.

The broad can also 2 shot an MAA, and its stab has decent reach.

• Against less experienced knights, I’ve found MAA to be the ultimate knight-killer. I could go through knight after knight with no problems.

When playing against high-level knights (in duels) I often find myself tearing my hair out. Why? Because they don’t whiff and it is almost impossible for me to get an attack off without getting hit traded. Combine that with the ability to combo even when hit, and I’m a dead MAA.

• who would of thought, kicking or switching2 ur scondary could help u fight off Good MAA’s and archers.

• I main MAA. I think the SoW is more difficult to go up against. The stab is deceptively fast and that can get you killed if your opponent is a good feinter. Never be too defensive because that makes the MAA comfortable. Use feints and bait swings to get MAAs to run/dodge right into your stab. If they’re bloody, then you can probably take out your 1h and shield if you have the time and distance.

• @c4ndlejack:

I main MAA. I think the SoW is more difficult to go up against. The stab is deceptively fast and that can get you killed if your opponent is a good feinter. Never be too defensive because that makes the MAA comfortable. Use feints and bait swings to get MAAs to run/dodge right into your stab. If they’re bloody, then you can probably take out your 1h and shield if you have the time and distance.

I exclusively play MaA and I can at least shed some light or help out with the topic. The best Knight’s Ive found always use the swords, Bastard Sword or Sword of War normally. It combines great speed, great reach and decent damage (most classes will die in 2-3 hits if you attack the torso or head). Some use shields, some don’t, depends on the preference of the player. They know when to swap out to their secondary to counter aggressive, fast MaA’s. I’ve had the most trouble against Broadsword Knight’s simply because they have a better speed than my Dane Axe or they can match my weapon speed if I’m using the Broadsword.

It’s even gotten to the point where I’ve had to make a mental note that any Knight I see that uses the Swords they have available (except the Messer, I can deal with them fairly easily) to be extra careful around them. One feint is all it takes to throw you off (I main a naked MaA/Oilpot) your parry - a whiffed parry that disables your dodge button mind you - and once the Knight hits you, you can bet your veteran helm that he is going to perform that super fast combo of his.

Like I said in another thread. Once I die to a feinting Knight, I’m going to swap my normally defensive play style where I exploit my opponents mistakes/openings to a play style of super aggressive circle strafing and dodging in and out, hoping to end the fight as soon as possible and split some Knight skull open.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• I’ve gone up against a couple of Knights that switch to 1-hander. This style of play is only adventitious if they capitalize on the speed gains and RUN ME DOWN. Otherwise I’ll still dictate the fight and choose when to engage. Make sure you are on point with your blocking and run the MAA down.

SoW is my most feared Knight weapon.

A High-Level MAA won’t easily fall for the, “Oh look - he missed from a mile away and now I’ll punish the opening”. I “tab” the leaderboards A LOT and know which players I need to look out for. Rank is not a definitive answer on skill… but it gives a rough estimation.
    If you are are top scoring with a good kdr and high rank… I know to not play reckless when engaging you.

And when I engage you and you whiff an attack - I’ll look for that stab follow-up.

That being said, when I use a Knight and engage a decent MAA, I will whiff an attack and immediately follow-up. I’m not actually looking to hit the MAA… I’m just representing and showing the MAA that he can’t just rush me. It’s a mind-game before we even really fight.
    I’m trying to put him in a state of worry… so I can make a move and run him down and get in his face. Once there…

Stay on sprint - you can still run him down if he chooses to dodge or evade and stay in his face. If you can get 1 hit on him…
    The odds of the match swing HEAVILY in your favor. He needs to still hit you many times and you can kill him with a TRADE. The match-up changes dramatically.

Feint. Best weapon against the MAA. Feinting enables you to counter the MAA’s 2-line-defense: Dodge into Block.
    A Feint may reward you with that Glorious hit on the MAA which cripples his options.
    A Feint allows you to cancel your attack when the MAA dodges and still run him down - nullifying his dodge.
    A Feint allows you to bypass his block when you face hug him and he’s panicking.

To beat a High-Level MAA - you need to excel at footwork, parrying, feinting and close quarter combat (face-hugging).

• Heh. I should also mention that I use to fall for that trick a lot where the Knight would miss and follow up with the attack. :) Now, I’ll only engage if I know I can flinch him. That usually means being on the very edge of their swing/attack arc and I’ll dodge in quickly and land a hit.

Sure, it’s pretty fucking risky doing this all the time, but as MaA, you only die in 1-2 hits from most Knight weapons, so risk is always something you are playing with when dealing with Knights as MaA.

• @g0dLyk:

I’ve gone up against a couple of Knights that switch to 1-hander. This style of play is only adventitious if they capitalize on the speed gains and RUN ME DOWN. Otherwise I’ll still dictate the fight and choose when to engage. Make sure you are on point with your blocking and run the MAA down.

And that’s whats so annoying fighting good maas, they decide when to engage, not you. For slower weapons, range usually dictates who starts an engagement, but the MAA can just dash in start taking the initiative with his speed.

@g0dLyk:

Stay on sprint - you can still run him down if he chooses to dodge or evade and stay in his face. If you can get 1 hit on him…
    The odds of the match swing HEAVILY in your favor. He needs to still hit you many times and you can kill him with a TRADE. The match-up changes dramatically.

Feint. Best weapon against the MAA. Feinting enables you to counter the MAA’s 2-line-defense: Dodge into Block.
    A Feint may reward you with that Glorious hit on the MAA which cripples his options.
    A Feint allows you to cancel your attack when the MAA dodges and still run him down - nullifying his dodge.
    A Feint allows you to bypass his block when you face hug him and he’s panicking.

It sounds good on paper, but no good MAA ever expends stamina without making you pay dearly for every drop you take. That’s the worst kind of MAA to fight, the kind that seemingly lets you take the initiative and strike at your openings, saving stamina at the same time. Try to rush him? He’ll dodge stab you just when you’re about to swing.

Oh and about the SoW, the problem with it is that while it may be good against MAAs, they (imo) aren’t particularly brilliant at anything less soft. So while I may be deadly against MAAs, I will be at a disadvantage against other classes, especially if i play TO. Plus, SoW still seems too slow in comparison to 1H swords.

• Easily the best thing to do is get them into a line fight (try to put them in a hallway or somewhere they can’t flank your side). Control the area, do not let them get somewhere open. If you place an MAA on open ground with lots of room to wiggle, they will dominate.
    Second, always watch their footwork. My own footwork doesn’t seem to be a big issue, just keep moving forward (with a shield and broadsword) and close the distance slowly but steadily. I usually just try to predict when they will go offensive (considering you’re applying pressure they have to eventually), and just thrust into the air. Sometimes, they lunge into it. If not, I follow up with an overhead. The combo time is quick enough where they sometimes come in for a flinch attempt but eat the overhead for massive damage. From there, just keep the pressure up. Bonus points if you can keep making them dodge to waste all their stamina.

MAA fights feel like the most twitch intense fights in chivalry. I enjoy this aspect so I respect a good maa player. It does get annoying though when you feel powerless to their maneuvering.

Even with the above in mind, many times I lose to the good maa players. They generally control the fight in 1v1, and you’re just in for the ride. Hit trade as much as possible, because you won’t walk away from an maa fight unscathed. Broadsword or Norse Sword is best.

• The MAA i fought against (as knight) are pretty much the opposite.
    They are the one who engage me all the time. Their reach is not short at all, sprint/evade (which almost looks like a teleport, they are wizards after all) combined with attack has surprising range and great speed. Combine this with a feint and you will parry 95% of the time (with the evade)
    Feels like gambling anyway with these MAA hehe. Either I take a hit or I dont. Too hard to read a feint with that speed. Its also annoying how it flinches, whole screen shakes, screen turns a bit or sometimes even 180 degree (must be a bug).
    Happens a lot more often with 1h than 2h