Lack of shield during shield bash

• So, I just saw a topic in which Sly mentioned the kicks are going to be tweaked to be more useful (retain its usefulness against shield spammers but also help against facehugging). That’s fantastic. However, I wanted to bring up my issue with the shield bash.

During the shield bash animation, the shield doesn’t actually block anything. I know it doesn’t block melee damage at all unless you are actively blocking, and while I lean more towards the side that says it should passively block I understand the idea that shields shouldn’t. That being said, I feel that the shield should actually block during a shield bash. The fact it only functions as a glorified kick (while pretending to be a shield bash, as the tutorial will tell you that you are bashing from the cover of your shield) annoys me, and got me killed a few times before I realized I was just as vulnerable as kicking.

Anyone else find this as dumb as I do? I’d rather just kick, since at least the game wouldn’t be lying to me about my guard.

• I’ve been killed like this once. I was a knight coming up on an archer drawing back a shot; I’m using a tower shield and mace. Realizing he was about to get attacked by me, he lets off his arrow right as I do a shield bash to stop him from letting of an arrow and switching weapons. I die from a headshot; appearing that I got shot through the tower shield as I was raising it up to bash.

It’s only an annoyance, but I still think it should be changed. Either change the animation to make it look like you’re more vulnerable or extend blocking to shield bashes. Either way would be fine I think.

• Problem is the code for blocking with the shield is the same code for blocking with a weapon. So the shield as a whole does nothing. I am surprised an arrow was not stopped though. At the very least be nice if the blocking code is called during the bash though.

• Yeah as greg said it would be nice if the shield bash at least still blocked arrows :(

• Yes this is very frustrating. When you’re extending the shield to bash someone you can get hit in the shield and die from a LMB swing that would have otherwise have fallen short of your character.
    Not to mention the reach of shield bash for the javelin-archer is pathetic and the buckler hit box with the shield is pathetic….i get out reached by people with the dagger.

I think a few things with the shield should be fixed, but at the same time i think some weapons should have advantages over shield of some kind, even if its only a tiny advantage. Eg the maul or great sword should have some kind of impact on shields… Perhaps a slightly longer flinch, this could help balance things. Though about 3-4 of the 1h weapons would need fixing first.

• I can see where you’re coming from but it’d be a little too powerful if you were able to block melee during a shield-bash. Projectiles, however, should definitely still be stopped by a shield during the bash (I don’t have personal experience as to whether or not it already does so, so I’ll take the word of you fine gentlemen that it doesn’t)

One suggestion I’d make on the balance side if shields were allowed to block melee during a bash is that if an attack connects while you were trying to bash that the bash be nullified if it has not yet connected with the target, so that you still need to time it properly and so a shield bash isn’t an unopposable guarantee.

• @Dibbz:

I can see where you’re coming from but it’d be a little too powerful if you were able to block melee during a shield-bash. Projectiles, however, should definitely still be stopped by a shield during the bash (I don’t have personal experience as to whether or not it already does so, so I’ll take the word of you fine gentlemen that it doesn’t)

One suggestion I’d make on the balance side if shields were allowed to block melee during a bash is that if an attack connects while you were trying to bash that the bash be nullified if it has not yet connected with the target, so that you still need to time it properly and so a shield bash isn’t an unopposable guarantee.

I could work with that. Getting killed through my shield bash right before it connects I can’t live with. Ranged also clip right through it as well, so it is exactly as if you were doing a kick - you are completely vulnerable. I understand that logic with a kick but not with a shield bash - emphasis was placed that the shield bash was better than the kick, so why isn’t it?

• @Tankcommander:

@Dibbz:

I can see where you’re coming from but it’d be a little too powerful if you were able to block melee during a shield-bash. Projectiles, however, should definitely still be stopped by a shield during the bash (I don’t have personal experience as to whether or not it already does so, so I’ll take the word of you fine gentlemen that it doesn’t)

I could work with that. Getting killed through my shield bash right before it connects I can’t live with. Ranged also clip right through it as well, so it is exactly as if you were doing a kick - you are completely vulnerable. I understand that logic with a kick but not with a shield bash - emphasis was placed that the shield bash was better than the kick, so why isn’t it?

Well i feel that the range of shield bash is definitely worse then kick.
    I think this is a good solution here. I can live with the shield bash not landing ,but as mentioned its annoying to die from being hit on the shield when its way out infront of you, i think this is clearer with the buckler as the buckler strikes with the edge as opposed to the blunt slam that knights do.
    If melee had the opportunity to strike at a shield bash to nullify it then that would only liven the game play. You’d want to make sure that there was no parry/block -> instant strike scenario though.

• @giantyak:

@Tankcommander:

@Dibbz:

Well i feel that the range of shield bash is definitely worse then kick.
    I think this is a good solution here. I can live with the shield bash not landing ,but as mentioned its annoying to die from being hit on the shield when its way out infront of you, i think this is clearer with the buckler as the buckler strikes with the edge as opposed to the blunt slam that knights do.
    If melee had the opportunity to strike at a shield bash to nullify it then that would only liven the game play. You’d want to make sure that there was no parry/block -> instant strike scenario though.

This is exactly the problem; you bash, thinking you have the range of a kick, but don’t, then they stab right through your paper shield.

• Yeah this ^
    And its the worst when if you hadn’t have tried to shield bash their swing would have passed harmlessly in front of you :(