Siege Engineer

• Hi Everybody!

I’m stealing this idea from another forum user. Way back when we were discussing adding a cleric/zealot class into the game someone proposed a siege engineer. I think this could be a great idea down the road :D

Here are my thoughts on what said class would be like

Health and Armor: Undecided. Most likely similar to Vanguard.
    Weapons
    Primaries: One handed weapons.
    New Weapon Ideas -
    Work Hammer - A unique new weapon that could be used as a building hammer would have a good feel to it! It would be similar to the warhammer of course.
    Flag Spear - Engineers might be carrying flags around to plant in the ground so why not use it as a spear like the one in CTF?
    Pickaxe - Insert a little Minecraft into Chivalry by letting you jam your Pickaxe into people’s skulls even laugh
    Existing weapons - Any of the maces and axes would work well. I imagine Siege Engineers would have hatchets or axes for cutting up plants.

Secondary: Daggers

Tertiary: Construction
    Constuction Ability in detail–
    So this would be the main purpose of the Siege Engineer, building things on the battlefield. I think hardcaps on the amount of buildable objects would be needed since you don’t have want to clutter up the battlefields too much

Resources: Siege Engineers would have to collect resources before they can build things. This would involve running over dead soldiers on the battlefield to take their weapons and armor. It would help keep them in the action in order to build support structures.

Construction Ideas:
    Ammo Boxes - Medium resources to build but hardcapped to 1… Deploying ammo boxes around the field to help your team could have a huge impact. You’d want to keep it restricted.

Pavise shields - Small, destructable shields that could be cheap and easy to make. Despite being cheap You would still be limited on how many you can set up.
    Balista - Hard capped to 1 and expensive but very useful for a team.

Brazier Pits - Expensive. Giant fire pits that could be set up to allow archers flaming arrows! Archers would dip their arrows in the fire and have a very short time to fire them.

Wooden Stands - These would just be very large wooden walls that you see scattered around maps like Moor. Useful for players to hide behind. Could only be built in areas where there is enough space.

Banners and flags - These little flags would be cheap and easy to place around the map. They don’t do much besides grant faster health regen to players out of combat. You could make them easy to react with by letting players on either side pick up the flag and attack with it :P

Log Traps - The booby traps from the Ice Map. Not sure how feasible this would be since the traps are so big but it would be pretty funny. They would take A LOT of resources to build

Bear Traps - Cheap. Would hurt enemies a bit and keep them immobile for a short time. Players could still block and attack while caught but not move around until free.

Arrow Traps - More difficult to implement but they could be interesting if they were build inside rooms and hallways, triggered by string lines.

That’s all I can think of for now. Please bare in mind that this is all mainly a brainstorm and I’m not dearly attached to any of my ideas. None of my ideas is locked in with others so take what you like and ignore what you don’t!

• I never liked the class suggestions - but I really do like this one.

I don’t think we want heals in the game.

But all sorts of different traps would be fun.

Like bear traps that snag and hold someone motionless for a short period of time (to an archers delight).

Arrow traps that you can rig up into a doorway.

Maybe some oil you can make an area slippery.

You could easily come up with 9 different traps, as they get or assist kills so things become unlocked.

Placement of a trap would take a decent amount of time and of course you would have a limited number you could place.

Be a pretty fun class and very different from all the others. I think they need some smoke pots to hide their traps.

• Historically, siege engineers would set up traps/hazards/defensive works prior to battle. So I think constructing a ballista during a battle is going a bit too far. Bear traps and maybe a few other assorted traps might be an option. Personally, I’d like to see a TO map centered around a siege engineer, or more specifically, sappers or plain old engineers. Digging a trench closer and closer to the enemy ramparts while under the fire of catapults/projectiles/arrows etc. ? Job for the engineers.

Undermining the enemy fortifications and blowing them to high hell? Job for the sappers.

I like the concept, but I think the implementation of the idea and somehow trying to balance it would be a tad difficult as well as time consuming.

• Oh of course there are countless balance issues that will come up implementing a class like this that is so different from the others.

While I like the idea of sappers and explosives and trench digging it wouldn’t really work in the current fast paced game mode. I was trying to make a class that would work in the current environment. I think a slower paced, digging class would work in big castle siege battles if/when they add those to the game.

Traps would be good though, I’ll add those in :)

• @Dr.Nick:

Oh of course there are countless balance issues that will come up implementing a class like this that is so different from the others.

While I like the idea of sappers and explosives and trench digging it wouldn’t really work in the current fast paced game mode. I was trying to make a class that would work in the current environment. I think a slower paced, digging class would work in big castle siege battles if/when they add those to the game.

Traps would be good though, I’ll add those in :)

You’d be surprised how fast the engineers could dig a trench (not a bull blown WWI era trench but more a ditch which provides enough cover from projectiles) with a few strong backs and the enemy firing at them.

I think depending on the quality of the earth they were digging through, an un-harassed engineer team could do something like 60-90 feet of embankment trench or narrow trench condition a day.

• But we’re taking part in battles that last like 25 minutes at most :p I concede that you could probably dig really small trenches at least.

• I’ve heard many Class ideas, however this one I like and is probably my favorite. :)

-Also I think he should have a epic as Beard and Eyeglasses (Yes, They had Eyeglasses is Medieval times) as I think it would suit him as an Engineer to have them.

• @Riuuii:

I’ve heard many Class ideas, however this one I like and is probably my favorite. :)

-Also I think he should have a epic as Beard and Eyeglasses (Yes, They had Eyeglasses is Medieval times) as I think it would suit him as an Engineer to have them.

Everything is better with eyeglasses! I also added some new weapon ideas.

• I think the pickaxe and worker mallet would would well with him after all he is a Engineer.

• Siege engineer was suppose to come in Age of Chivalry, let’s see if it eventually comes in Chiv.

• Does anyone else have suggestions for a Siege Engineer class?

• I remember the developers saying that they had the files of a Siege Tower but they weren’t in the process of making maps that included them so they are essentially put on hold for the time being.

I think, that when the time comes when the TB team adds a game mode/TO map which incorporates siege towers, that a new siege engineer class would be critical to the stage.

Perhaps if the siege engineer is within a certain radius of the tower/construct, that they receive an armor bonus or a +extra HP modifier.

Just brainstorming here.

• On stoneshill and citadel siege engineer can dig a tunnel under the castle or palisade.

Maybe herd some pigs into it and set them alight to finish the objective that way.

• I dislike the idea of constructing so much on the battlefield. Could be used to add clutter to a narrow passage way and the maps are not designed for something like this at all.

I wouldn’t mind a few deployables for the tertiary items. A couple of Pavise shields would be fine. The Brazier you mentioned would be interesting, as would the health regen buff from the standard (although that might make defensive sections too difficult for attackers, more stamina though would be a better option). The traps also sound like a good idea so long as they are visible. I’d limit them to a movement slow and damage, though, for the sake of simplicity. Deployable ammo is a decent possibility, but limited use of 1 or 2.

As for weapons, go toolset and maces/axes. Pick, hammer, and shovel. Give them the range of a Knight’s weapons. Pick would be similar to an Axe, Hammer either the Maul or the regular hammer, and the shovel could be a sword for simplicity’s sake.

• Poor guy got lost on the cutting room floor.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-chival … n-overhaul

• @Andrew:

Poor guy got lost on the cutting room floor.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-chival … n-overhaul

Haha wow! I honestly had no idea how you guys planned to do the siege engineer and I’m happy my own idea was so close to your own :D Means we share some design thoughts ey?