Warning: Do not listen to the vocal minority!

• There seems to be a near unanimous opinion on these message boards that feinting is a work of the devil. It is uncompetitive, flawed, cheap, and destroying the community. I am here not to discuss the fairness of the mechanics, but rather to warn Torn Banner against trusting their forum boards to give an accurate representation of community.

To do so would be following in the footsteps of many a failed modern indie game and make everything so kosher that it becomes dull and boring to play (I’m looking at you, Tribes, Global Agenda). Forum communities are not accurate representations of the community when it comes to balance. It is the vocal minority that are primarily on the website because they feel they have been wronged by a mechanic they do not understand.

You may see light at the end of this tunnel, but it is so narrow that by the time you are through, you will have stripped half your gear.

• Oh boy. I’m sorry but I assure you the latest Tribes and Global Agenda were not ruined by a vocal minority :p I was in the alpha for Tribes Ascend and we warned Hi Rez of deep rooted problems even back then.
    In fact by your logic the unvocal majority who just spends money but doesn’t discuss is the reason why more games become “casualized.”

You might as well discount everything posted on the forums because most people who play Chivalry don’t post here. I’m just saying that there are A LOT of flaws in your post here.

• @Dr.Nick:

Hahahahahaha! I’m sorry but I assure you the latest Tribes and Global Agenda were not ruined by a vocal minority :p I was in the alpha for Tribes Ascend and we warned Hi Rez of problems even back then.
    In fact by your logical the unvocal majority who just spends money is the reason why more games become “casualized.”

You might as well discount everything posted on the forums because most people who play Chivalry don’t post here. I’m just saying that there are A LOT of flaws in your post here.

And here we have the typical forum board enthusiast that seem to post more than playing the game.

• 429 hours of Chivalry played so far since it came out.
    I only have 375 posts on the forum (so less than 1 post per 1 hour of play) or about 2.74 posts a day.

Well if the forum listed my cumulative time publicly (it does track it I know, the mods could probably tell me) I would list it. I’m pretty confident I’ve put more time in game than on the forums.

• Have some faith in the devs. They’ve stated they won’t do any knee-jerk changes and will adjust things carefully.

• Yup. They also had a highly viewed feinting poll thread so I’m sure they got a good generalization of community opinion on that as well.

• Recon, correct me if i am wrong, but are you saying that TB should not respond to players that are crying for an ‘I WIN’ button?

• @Dr.Nick:

Yup. They also had a highly viewed feinting poll thread so I’m sure they got a good generalization of community opinion on that as well.

Online polls… proven time and time again to be a flawed practice yet people…

If you hold a poll asking whether to change a mechanic the balanced of community opinion often gets skewed in favor of those who are the uppest in arms. Essentially those who have a problem will be willed more into voicing their opinions and putting effort into effecting change. People don’t have as much of a tendency to move and act when they are fine with the status quo.

The numerous examples of polls being tainted or hijacked online with a few individuals putting forth a lot of effort to skew the results… It’s like what’s the point?

• @Dark:

@Dr.Nick:

Yup. They also had a highly viewed feinting poll thread so I’m sure they got a good generalization of community opinion on that as well.

Online polls… proven time and time again to be a flawed practice yet people…

If you hold a poll asking whether to change a mechanic the balanced of community opinion often gets skewed in favor of those who are the uppest in arms. Essentially those who have a problem will be willed more into voicing their opinions and putting effort into effecting change. People don’t have as much of a tendency to move and act when they are fine with the status quo.

The numerous examples of polls being tainted or hijacked online with a few individuals putting forth a lot of effort to skew the results… It’s like what’s the point?

+1
    People write poll questions which confound the results and, therefore, make the poll’s statistics meaningless. Results from statistics are only useful if the test question is non-biased and phrased correctly.

• Don’t worry OP, and im pretty sure the devs know this, competitive games are balanced about pro players while still being fun for newcomers. Since the majority of pro players and the big clans in this game have no big problem with feints it will not be changed drastically, only some very minor tweaks (if at all).

Theres just alot of big talk and theorycrafting nonsense going on here that dont represent the majority of competitive players.

• OP is fallacious

• Most competitive players will use anything you give them no matter how broken it is. See the Dane Axe. I see so much Dane Axe use in competitive play it makes me sick. Also everybody is CONSTANTLY looking down to overhead faster. Cringes

• @CRUSHED:

Don’t worry OP, and im pretty sure the devs know this, competitive games are balanced about pro players while still being fun for newcomers. Since the majority of pro players and the big clans in this game have no big problem with feints it will not be changed drastically, only some very minor tweaks (if at all).

Theres just alot of big talk and theorycrafting nonsense going on here that dont represent the majority of competitive players.

THIS. A thousand times this.

• I suppose the real question is, should or can the game be balanced around both parties? Or should it cater to a specfic audience in regards to feints.

Depends what TB wants to do with this game. Would they rather push the competitive scene? Would they rather try to sell more copies and cater towards newcomers/casual players who frequent the game? Or maybe both (somehow)?

• @DokB:

I suppose the real question is, should or can the game be balanced around both parties? Or should it cater to a specfic audience in regards to feints.

Depends what TB wants to do with this game. Would they rather push the competitive scene? Would they rather try to sell more copies and cater towards newcomers/casual players who frequent the game? Or maybe both (somehow)?

Obviously sales comes first of course but at the same time they need to keep their hardcore community happy in order to keep the servers populated.

I am sure they are smarter than most of the bitching posters and do not blindly follow the vocal minority.

• Supporting the competitive scene will require changing feints. As it is right now the best any place can do is learn all the windups/releases/ranges by heart and just be super aggressive all the time, comboing, feinting, and ready to parry to feint to minimize being hit by feints yourself.

The meta right now hasn’t changed since the game came out besides less use of shields. It’s very stale.

• @Dr.Nick:

Supporting the competitive scene will require changing feints. As it is right now the best any place can do is learn all the windups/releases/ranges by heart and just be super aggressive all the time, comboing, feinting, and ready to parry to feint to minimize being hit by feints yourself.

The meta right now hasn’t changed since the game came out besides less use of shields. It’s very stale.

Hearing your opinion of the competitive scene is like hearing a cow’s thoughts on theoretical physics.

Moo.

• @bada:

@Dr.Nick:

Supporting the competitive scene will require changing feints. As it is right now the best any place can do is learn all the windups/releases/ranges by heart and just be super aggressive all the time, comboing, feinting, and ready to parry to feint to minimize being hit by feints yourself.

Hearing your opinion of the competitive scene is like hearing a cow’s thoughts on theoretical physics.

Moo.

Welp, if this is the kind of audience TB wishes to balance their game around we might be in more trouble than I anticipated.

• The competitive scene (in every game) is full of arrogant people who will do anything to win regardless of how dirty or cheap it is. I know not everyone in the comp scene is this way, but lots are… A lot of them think they are better than everyone and are more important because they play in comp games. Elitism spewing lot, usually.

Casual gamers aren’t perfect either… The general public is…well…stupid. To market games to the general public, devs usually make games geared towards stupid people. The Elder Scrolls games are a good example. Skyrim isn’t a bad game, but it is very very casual compared to some of the previous titles.

The feinting supporters aren’t wrong for wanting to keep the mechanics the way they like them… In turn, the anti-feinters aren’t wrong for not liking how they are and want to see change. It’s just opinions. No one’s opinions are more important than anyone else’s opinions regardless of how long they’ve played, or if they’re competitive or casual…

The fact of the matter is, enough people don’t like feints in the current form and Torn Banner should listen to both sides. That’s how feedback works. I hate feints with a passion, but Torn Banner should not completely remove them. That would be taking the people who like the current system and tossing their opinions into the toilet. In turn, I think it’s great they’re talking about possible fixes and testing the “what if…?” possibilities.

Both sides need to calm down, step back, take a breather, and start trying to help Torn Banner by providing feedback that isn’t about shitting all over someone else’s opinions. Half of the posts recently are basically “NO YOU’RE WRONG” back and forth. Neither side is wrong for thnking their own way…

I am an anti-feinter. I also respect that other people feel otherwise… I will provide my feedback based on my personal opinions. I’ll also post sarcastic replies to people being jerk faces. That’s just what I do.

• Competitively and casually the game has some bigger issues than feints. Right now one handers dominate both styles of gameplay. I think feinting is the only link to keeping 2 handers even remotely viable at the moment. Why use a 2 handed for anything but its reach? Most one handers are much faster and deal the same damage. One handers need to have their damage values dropped significantly (not referring to daggers or the archer one handers). Strait numbers dictate a serious flaw in logic for this game. No one hander should be able to 2 shot any class cept an archer if you ask me. One handers are essentially faster, have significant reach and do as much damage as most 2handers. Why even use a 2 hander unless your opponent is? And at that point you can pull out that Dane axe or broadsword and instantly have the advantage on speed without sacrificing any damage. Reach is the only real disadvantage but IMO speed trumps reach all day, especially with an maa dodge thrown in.