Introduce a new mechanic for facehugging

• I think feint is fine except when the attacker gets a chance to get too close and the weapon animation becomes hard to see. Also weapons tend to hit instantly when you are close to the enemy. It would be interesting to see some kind of new mechanic to deal with facehugging tactics. Normally in real life you would punch the attacker, headbutt, hold the handle of the enemy’s sword, etc. We need a mechanic like that to discourage facehugging.

• Chivalry has one, its called the kick.

• Agatha archers kiss their opponent and ask for a dance.

• @Wangmaster:

Chivalry has one, its called the kick.

LOL!...good one…oh wait, were you serious?

• @Wangmaster:

Chivalry has one, its called the kick.

Kick/shield bash are too slow now–basically useless.

• If the attacker gets in close… then he should be rewarded for getting in close and you should be punished for letting him get in close.

Use footwork and get a parry on him and reverse the situation.

• @g0dLyk:

If the attacker gets in close… then he should be rewarded for getting in close and you should be punished for letting him get in close.

Its almost as if your quoting me word for word from some other post :)
    I thoroughly agree and all you have to do is get a parry off and then you can kick the facehugger away…or just counter hit them.

PS its easier to parry face huggers from first person.
    PSS i think a knee to the crotch mechanic would be fun, but its not necessary.

• @g0dLyk:

If the attacker gets in close… then he should be rewarded for getting in close and you should be punished for letting him get in close.

how the hell are you going to keep attacker at bay? the only weapon capable of keeping enemies at bay are spear weapons. it’s ridiculously easy to move in to the facehug range.

• @boomandvibe:

@g0dLyk:

how the hell are you going to keep attacker at bay? the only weapon capable of keeping enemies at bay are spear weapons. it’s ridiculously easy to move in to the facehug range.

I can kill face huggers with the pole hammer…its just a matter of parry and splat, or parry, kick, then splat if need be.
    It can be ridiculously easy to kill people moving into facehugging range.

• @giantyak:

@boomandvibe:

@g0dLyk:

I can kill face huggers with the pole hammer…its just a matter of parry and splat, or parry, kick, then splat if need be.

who are you fighting? you seem to be talking about pub play.

so you are saying you would never lose to a knight (slowest) with a 1-hander right? that you would be keeping them at bay all the time?

• @giantyak:

@boomandvibe:

@g0dLyk:

You obviously havent played against a good facehugger.
    A Parry does not give you advantage to land a counter hit.
    And the face huggers should be using a really fast weapon like a knife.

There is no way you would get a kick off, or a polearm attack before they stabbed you.
    They should be hitting left side, hitting right side, repeat, forcing you to constantly turn and parry back and forth, until they feint, and trick you.

• kinda wish you could use the kick as a counter-attack.

Also would be cool if that counter wasn’t necessarily a kick. Like maybe the blades could parry, and then you sort of like throw his weapon down or something. Know how in movies and shit when the blades clash, and then the stronger beastier dude pushes the sword out of the way… something like that would be pretty unhealthy

• @g0dLyk:

You can’t stop an attacker from getting close. They sprint twice as fast as you back up.

• See the real answer here is grappling. If an opponent wants to get close and whisper lewd things in your ear, why can’t we make him pay by suplexing him through a table?

[image:wgix8cul]http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/530/999/65dudleyboystable_display_image.jpg?1290998501[/image:wgix8cul]

• first of all, an attack shouldnt cause your character to mini-dash forward while you are pressing backwards. if you dont know what that is, go create a game and test it.

second, i think a possible solution is to give your initial backward movement a very short speed boost as if you just jumped backwards. in real life you would be able to take a big step backwards but you wouldnt be able to run backwards for an extended amount of time.

• Facehugging needs fixing in general, the game’s mechanics go to shit when an enemy gets close enough

• @boomandvibe:

who are you fighting? you seem to be talking about pub play.

so you are saying you would never lose to a knight (slowest) with a 1-hander right? that you would be keeping them at bay all the time?

I was talking about duels, in public games i’ll sometimes deliberately switch to the pole hammer if there are too many knights on the other team.
    Pole hammer is very good for taking knights down, i can keep them away, and have beaten level 40+ players with it, but the truly good players will beat me especially after they have faced me once and adjust to my weapon choice.

One trick i use with the pole hammer is to turn right during a swing from my right to left. This slows the swing down (making it hard for the other player to tell whats happening) and the way the swing goes it seems to often get around parrys and blocks. On top of this you’re turning away from your target when you do this so they come in closer thinking they can take an easy shot.

• @Dr.Nick:

@g0dLyk:

You can’t stop an attacker from getting close. They sprint twice as fast as you back up.

So what do we know…

Face hugging = effective.

You can’t retreat away fast enough to keep someone from moving into that range and exerting facehug offense.

So what’s the answer? There are two.

1: Use bad logic to conclude that things need to be changed simply because they are effective without considering the tactic ourselves.

2: Use good logic and learn to shoot for the tactic that we have found to be effective.

Which one will the people here choose?

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said that the game’s mechanics get wonky when you are up really close. I have seen a number of suggestions all essentially pushing bandaids to get around this rather than addressing the issue at face (no pun intended). The answer is tho fix the mechanics. Not alter the game around the problems.

• Yes, my post was serious. Kick is a good way to break a face-hugger, but you need to time it right, or even kick him before he gets in face-hug range.

IMO the only thing that fixes face-hugs while preserving skill is fixing the damn blocking hit-boxes so a face hugger can’t slice through your blocks like butter.