WHY NO LEADERBOARDS?

• Chivalry tracks your K/D in the game, along with assists and even accuracy. So why cant you track it OVERALL?? Why would the creators even waste their time with such specific stats while in game but not transfer that over to a leaderboard setup?

I am just looking for answers and hopefully a leaderboard.

• Having an overall kill/death ratio can make players solely focus on getting kills while playing team-based game modes such as TO or CTF. People tend to get caught up in that. I for one don’t want such a leaderboard, I’m happy just the way things are. I’d rather match myself with another player in a duel than with numbers on a board.

• I agree with nokx completely. Leaderboards make people focus on k/d spread at the expense of objective gameplay. Teamwork would suffer greatly and lmb spamming for the last hit would be even more of a problem than it is now. Leaderboards ruin games.

• @amrtin:

Leaderboards ruin games.

To be honest though, it would be slightly cool to have a set of statistics to study. However I prefer to play for objective, so I wouldn’t solely go for kills to boost my K/D… In the end I wouldn’t really mind as long as other people think like me ;)

• Having a leaderboard would be a nice rendition to the ranking systems. Just being able to see the top players stats and see who they are. Able to ask them individually by knowing they are good players, will help the new players.

• First, players already just go off and get kills and ignore the objective in TO matches.

If there was a stat that somehow reflected defenses / captures and that was tracked it wouldnt mess with the incentives. Or if you just had some game types not write to leaderboard statistics.

I’d REALLY like a leaderboard, even if it was just for duel mode.

• I think a form of leader board would be nice, but not a straight up K/D kind. I would personally dislike that, I have an annoying habit of being too obsessed about statistics. I’m really happy the way it is right now.

As for a kind of leader board I would like, I think a basic one of everyone in order of rank could be cool, so then you know how many others are the same rank as you etc.

• Leaderboards tend to do my nut in. I start caring about stats and rank more instead of having fun (even HLstatsX got me to change how I play). I don’t mind Steam stats though, it’s nice to always check out your own personal stats.

• Leaderboards encourage preying on noobs and using cheap tactics rather than challenging yourself to get better and play better players. Definite no-no.

• @NabsterHax:

Leaderboards encourage preying on noobs and using cheap tactics rather than challenging yourself to get better and play better players. Definite no-no.

That entire post makes zero sense. It just screams to me of ‘casual.’

There is no such thing as a cheap tactic. No they wouldnt necessarily encouarge ‘stomping new players’ rather than bettering yourself, and developing the ability to stomp new players would necessarily mean you’d ahve to better yourself, new players play unpredictably.

The development of “cheap tactics” wasn’t done by people fighting noobs for a leaderboard it was done by all of us playing. We all do “cheap” feint tactics and staring at our feet to hit. (no, i dont think feinting is cheap, i think it is broken and game breaking, but not cheap.)

There is so much wrong with your post and perspective i almost didnt know how to respond, i could go on, but suffice to say you make no sense.

• If they will implement a leaderboard based on kill/death ratio, they should remove the team kill/damage… Because we know it’s inevitable to be killed by your own teammate and sometimes your teammates are the main reason why you’re getting killed.

• @JCash:

@NabsterHax:

Leaderboards encourage preying on noobs and using cheap tactics rather than challenging yourself to get better and play better players. Definite no-no.

That entire post makes zero sense. It just screams to me of ‘casual.’

There is no such thing as a cheap tactic. No they wouldnt necessarily encouarge ‘stomping new players’ rather than bettering yourself, and developing the ability to stomp new players would necessarily mean you’d ahve to better yourself, new players play unpredictably.

The development of “cheap tactics” wasn’t done by people fighting noobs for a leaderboard it was done by all of us playing. We all do “cheap” feint tactics and staring at our feet to hit. (no, i dont think feinting is cheap, i think it is broken and game breaking, but not cheap.)

There is so much wrong with your post and perspective i almost didnt know how to respond, i could go on, but suffice to say you make no sense.

wat. You just go out of your way to argue with me wherever I post?

Personally, in the past, leaderboards have discouraged me (and I’m sure other players, too) from simply having a fun piss about in the game. When I go butter-knife archer, I don’t want to be continually ranked on my performance (which will obviously be lower than those of equal skill playing “sensibly”).

The current rank system is a bit of a turn off as it is. I don’t boost my kills in public servers so I have a significantly lower rank than many other players of my skill level. The only reason I don’t mind rank is because it’s pretty obvious when I play that I am easily capable of besting higher ranked players.

Lifetime K/D on the other hand is different, because it has the potential to go down if I don’t want to play seriously. It still provides basically zero useful information about a player, but it’s just another false measurement that people can wave their dicks about with, along with rank and hours played.

• @NabsterHax:

Personally, in the past, leaderboards have discouraged me (and I’m sure other players, too) from simply having a fun piss about in the game. When I go butter-knife archer, I don’t want to be continually ranked on my performance (which will obviously be lower than those of equal skill playing “sensibly”).

So do not play butterknife archer, or choose to not value your position on a leaderboard. It is fairly simple that way. Also, you’re doing nothing to take away from the impression of ‘casualness’ given off by the totality of your posts.

You’re right, if you choose to play badly consistently it would be reflected on a leaderboard. If you choose to value leaderboard position, you will tend to try harder more often, and use the class you’re best with. Those are not negatives.

Your problem is you have two conflicting mentalities. On the one hand, you want to value objective reflections of accomplishment, like rank, or position on leaderboards. Indeed, you DO value them, or you wouldnt CARE if going a nub loadout potentially harmed your position.

On the other hand, you dont believe your skill level / playstyle is conducive to achieving those reflections of skill. So you’d rather they not be in the game.

What you fail to realize is, it is a turn off for players whose playstyle would allow them to do well on leaderboards. Your ENTIRE posts screams to me of casual. Find a competitive gamer and see if they can read it without puking.

• Leaderborad based on the K/D ratio is competitive? The only thing that it will bring it’s noob farming everyday to stay inon the top of the leaderboard. Pretty ridiculous it doesn’t take a huge skill to have high K/D ratio in a public server. It’s not “competitive” at all because everybody will escape any kind of challenge to protect their ratio.

• @JCash:

@NabsterHax:

So do not play butterknife archer, or choose to not value your position on a leaderboard. It is fairly simple that way. Also, you’re doing nothing to take away from the impression of ‘casualness’ given off by the totality of your posts.

You’re right, if you choose to play badly consistently it would be reflected on a leaderboard. If you choose to value leaderboard position, you will tend to try harder more often, and use the class you’re best with. Those are not negatives.

Your problem is you have two conflicting mentalities. On the one hand, you want to value objective reflections of accomplishment, like rank, or position on leaderboards. Indeed, you DO value them, or you wouldnt CARE if going a nub loadout potentially harmed your position.

On the other hand, you dont believe your skill level / playstyle is conducive to achieving those reflections of skill. So you’d rather they not be in the game.

What you fail to realize is, it is a turn off for players whose playstyle would allow them to do well on leaderboards. Your ENTIRE posts screams to me of casual. Find a competitive gamer and see if they can read it without puking.

I don’t know what it’s like over the pond but most comp. EU players I know don’t really like to play every pub like it’s a scrim, and cause everyone to quit the server. So yeh, I’m a total casual. In pub.

I’m glad it’s a turn off for people who like leaderboards as it discourages team-stacking and pub-stomping behaviour. This as well as “Oh no, I’m gonna lose, better unplug my internet!” or “This guy keeps owning me and screwing up my K/D, better quit now!”

And as I said, I don’t think that giving anyone the delusion that their score in a pub matters is a good idea.

• @Dervan:

Leaderborad based on the K/D ratio is competitive? The only thing that it will bring it’s noob farming everyday to stay inon the top of the leaderboard. Pretty ridiculous it doesn’t take a huge skill to have high K/D ratio in a public server. It’s not “competitive” at all because everybody will escape any kind of challenge to protect their ratio.

who said it had to be based on kdr? It would just track stats, i imagine there would be a number of leaderboard categories. Highest total kills. Highest kdr. Highest kills with a weapon. Highest kills in one game. Ect.

I get the stark impression neither you nor nabster hax have ever played a game with proper stat tracking and a leaderboard. You have two options - care about leaderboard position or don’t. I think part of the problem is you both have the impression that if you tried you’d be eligible for a high position on the boards.

This is doubtful. Most likely you’d be so far down, unable to even hope to climb to the top, that it wouldnt effect any aspect of your play.

And as I said, I don’t think that giving anyone the delusion that their score in a pub matters is a good idea.

Score in a single pub match, with how much data leaderboards would reflect, would be irrelevant. If you CONSISTENTLY did poorly your leaderboard position would drop - as it should be.

Speaking of irrelevant, this argument. The devs won’t add leaderboards ANY TIME soon, even if they want to, and until they get hacking protection the boards will be a joke anyway. Eventually when this game isnt a buggy glitchfest hacker heaven and the devs get their design philosophy straightened out, it might be interesting. Cough casuals, cough.

• Ok, thank you for your opinion JCash.

Personally I would like to thank you for providing such a good example of why leaderboards shouldn’t be present in the game.

It doesn’t really matter anyway, if you know you’re special.

• @NabsterHax:

Ok, thank you for your opinion JCash.

Personally I would like to thank you for providing such a good example of why leaderboards shouldn’t be present in the game.

It doesn’t really matter anyway, if you know you’re special.

Self-perception of skill has been shown by study after study to be inaccurate. Especially among people of middling skill that dont have the skill needed to realize how much they need to improve, and are receiving some measure of positive feedback from what they’re currently doing.

I’m good at this game, yes. But i’d like to prove it to everyone with a high leaderboard position. Prove it objectively to myself even. And, maybe after topping it for a bit, i’ll lose interest and start playing butterknife archer and drop down. but at least i’d have that knowledge of objective skill in relation to the other players, proof, positive reinforcement.

You are clearly, not the kind of player leaderboards are intended for. And that is ok, the game has room for all kinds of people. We’re not going to kick you out of it!

• Again, you’re making the argument for me. You equate skill to pub-stomping ability and want to show it off.

We have tournaments of all kinds where you can prove yourself already. I suggest joining one of those if you really want to show people how good you are.

• @NabsterHax:

Again, you’re making the argument for me. You equate skill to pub-stomping ability and want to show it off.

We have tournaments of all kinds where you can prove yourself already. I suggest joining one of those if you really want to show people how good you are.

I need to agree with Nabster on this one. A leaderboard in this game in it’s state wouldn’t reflect skill but how well you can exploit and beat on all the new players in the game from the free weekend. Adding leaderboards would just encourage good fair players to adopt cheap tricks and tactics. Maybe consider it when the game is fixed up and has fewer bugs.