Accelerated and decelerated attacks

• 1. Stop asking obvious questions if you don’t want the obvious answer

2. Lookdown Overhand takes no skill to use, everyone knows this, figure out a way to make it skill based and your thread can get off the ground

3. You start jumping up and down
    I tell you you’re jumping up and down
    You telling me you aren’t actually jumping up and doesn’t change the fact that you are still doing it

Everything you mentioned is used in high skill play
    You asked to remove it

So I say again, you want to remove high skill play

• @BB:

You don’t have to move your mouse to hit someone with the begining of the release

And your definition of accelerated attack is flawed
    An accelerated attack is simply moving the mouse along with the weapons movements

Also, your change would make this game hella boring
    “Look straight at your enemy constantly if you want to do any damage”
    Cripes

You’re pretty much asking to remove all high skill play
    You understand that right?

Do you have to troll everything….even though its friendly gosh…
    I agree that removing accelerated and decelerated attacks would drastically lower the skill ceiling of the game and make it pretty stale.
    I think that starting windup and release inside an enemy player needs to be looked at though.
    My experience on dueling servers over the last 5 days has been that the percentage of players using dirty tactics and dirty weapons has increased very significantly. Even MAA’s were saying they’re gonna start rolling knights last night.

Lookdown overhead doesn’t really take much skill, but there is a cost and thats that you are looking at the floor. Perhaps a good change would be that if you look down overhead your time to next swing is increased ever so slightly. Realistically you can take another swing while looking at the floor because you will fall over…actually that would be a mechanic that would fix the problem

• Accelerating using a mouse drag is completely fair.

Running forward looking at the ground to do a fast overhead is a little silly.

I could understand if you have to drag your mouse from the top of the screen to the bottom - then it would be reasonable.

• @giantyak:

being blunt and insulting people isn’t trolling
    it’s being blunt and insulting

@giantyak:

I think that starting windup and release inside an enemy player needs to be looked at though.

it really doesn’t, Devs said that there’s a check in place that if the weapon hits the parry or block the same moment it hits the person(eg. if you place the start of the release inside someone) then the attack will be parried

@giantyak:

My experience on dueling servers over the last 5 days has been that the percentage of players using dirty tactics and dirty weapons

no such thing as a dirty tactic
    and the only weapon I would say is overpowered right now would be the Dane Axe

@giantyak:

Even MAA’s were saying they’re gonna start rolling knights last night.

those MAA’s suck

@giantyak:

Lookdown overhead doesn’t really take much skill, but there is a cost and thats that you are looking at the floor.

you’re right on the first part, I keep saying it’s the least skill based “high skill” maneuver
    and looking down isn’t a downside for experienced players that know the weapon times and how the work

• @BB:

@giantyak:

being blunt and insulting people isn’t trolling
    it’s being blunt and insulting

Correct but patronising people at the end of your post is…even though that kind of trolling is really just friendly.

To add the dueling last night was pretty dirty. The one of the two players at the top of the scoreboard was just repeating the same move every time and there’s nothing anyone could do to stop it, hence, why the MAA were saying they’d reroll knight. The problem for the MAA’s was that no matter what they did or whether they landed hits the knight could soakup the hits and steamroll the MAA (or anyone else for that matter).

This was more advanced then 4days ago where the knight (different player) was just looking at the floor and running into people whilst comboing at their toes…

• I don’t feel that these attacks are the problem. Only on some weapons are they extreme (counter attack overhead on the bearded axe is virtually instantaneous). Beyond some weapons being slightly too fast, animations need to be polished up, especially for the Bardiche, bit on the Messer. As long as animations properly display what is happening, it’s totally fine.

Right now, some weapons have incomplete animations when accelerated or decelerrated, and // or they are out of sync with their damage hitboxes. That’s a serious issue.

• I find I can attack mega-fucking-fast with the bearded axe when I use mouse-dragging. I don’t really use the look-down overhead attack very much and I never crouch with any weapons. I think certain weapons can be incredibly effective and satisfying to use when the player is good with controlling his swings, and I wouldn’t want it changed very much, if at all. If you do a look-down overhead and hit the floor, you should be stunned for a tiny bit so your opponent can get his bearings and possibly launch a counter-swing. This is all that really needs to be done to fix the issue.

• That’s because the Bearded Axe has a faster windup than a lot of one handed weapons do

it has a standard release time for two handers so the speed it’s thrown out isn’t apparent until you give it to an experienced player that can hit people at the beginning of the swing

I’m pretty sure the Beard is OP
    just checked too, Bearded Axe is slower than 3 of the primary two handers
    Norse, Sprinkler, and Hatchet are the only one handers that are faster than the Beard

• 1. I am a firm believer that it does help with gameplay a tad bit

2. There are a few issues revolving around weapons going through blocks that have been acknowledged by the dev’s that they are not intended.

3. realism should not always correlate into gameplay, simulators are out there to give the closest experience of this.

4. Why the hell are so many things being numbered off

5. Adding this one as a filler so that I can show that I’m more organised than you and thus show that I am that much more mature

6. DIdn’t number 5 just quell its own arguement?

7. Probably should’ve stopped doing this awhile ago but the sugar and caffeine are insisting I continue.

@BB:

“giantyak wrote:
    Lookdown overhead doesn’t really take much skill, but there is a cost and thats that you are looking at the floor.”

you’re right on the first part, I keep saying it’s the least skill based “high skill” maneuver
    and looking down isn’t a downside for experienced players that know the weapon times and how the work

8. Saying that an experienced player (IE: Skilled) knowing the weapons timings and how weapons work is a contradiction in its own statement. Skill is not only performing the action, but knowing when and how. Especially if it involves in being able to cover where you left off.

• @childofthekorn:

8. Saying that an experienced player (IE: Skilled) knowing the weapons timings and how weapons work is a contradiction in its own statement.

not really

lookdown overhand doesn’t take skill to use

skilled players don’t risk anything by using the lookdown overhand

both of these statements are true

• @BB:

@childofthekorn:

8. Saying that an experienced player (IE: Skilled) knowing the weapons timings and how weapons work is a contradiction in its own statement.

not really

lookdown overhand doesn’t take skill to use

skilled players don’t risk anything by using the lookdown overhand

both of these statements are true

Nor does any other swing, or block at that.

But when you put all these little pieces together, you need to actually learn how to make them flow properly and actively allow you to overcome an offensive or defensive opponent. So no, looking down while swinging does not take skill. However, recovering from the downward look to objectively block or attack another individual is where the skill comes into place.

If your complaining because someone was able to look down and kill you, and not suggesting that he went 40-0 afterwards, that’s all fine and dandy. However if he was able to kill you, using that method, and then was killed shortly afterward by another individual…sounds balanced to me.

Playing devils advocate. I’d agree it doesn’t take skill. However, nor would any of the game play. Or any other game past, present or future that doesn’t actually use the bodies movements and ‘real world’ physics. Its a video game, not real life.

Its available for all to use and has not been deemed an exploit or bug.

• @childofthekorn:

except that’s wrong
    blocking hits takes skill, and putting the beginning of the release inside of somebody takes skill

I keep saying there is nothing inherently wrong with bypassing the release period of a weapon
    bypassing the release with slashes takes a lot of skill and precision
    there is a problem however when bypassing the release of a weapon is as easy as looking down

• @BB:

@childofthekorn:

except that’s wrong
    blocking hits takes skill, and putting the beginning of the release inside of somebody takes skill

I keep saying there is nothing inherently wrong with bypassing the release period of a weapon
    bypassing the release with slashes takes a lot of skill and precision
    there is a problem however when bypassing the release of a weapon is as easy as looking down

So looking to the left, to the right and just moving forward while pierce takes skill. But looking down does not?

Blocking > Mouse drag apparently.

makes sense. #Swag#Yolo.

• @childofthekorn:

So looking to the left, to the right and just moving forward while pierce takes skill. But looking down does not?

yes
    it’s almost impossible to get the very beginning of the slash inside of someone, you might look too far left or not enough, either way it does not happen very often
    it takes a crap load of precision to do this

no precision necessary when all you need to do is look straight down

also, getting closer for a stab to land faster is much riskier than staying at your weapon’s preferred length and lookdown overhanding

• @BB:

@childofthekorn:

yes
    it’s almost impossible to get the very beginning of the slash inside of someone, you might look too far left or not enough, either way it does not happen very often
    it takes a crap load of precision to do this

no precision necessary when all you need to do is look straight down

also, getting closer for a stab to land faster is much riskier than staying at your weapon’s preferred length and lookdown overhanding

So even though the only difference between the mouse dragged attacks is the direction. When your attempting to mouse drag “Chop” (as I call it) and your attempting to hit multiple opponents. As well as defending against other players.

I do not follow as part of “skill” as I understand it is knowing how to use the weapon (length, speed, recovery, parry, combo). To suggest that one form of mouse drag is skill while the others are just bad, IMHO, is a fallacy.

• @childofthekorn:

So even though the only difference between the mouse dragged attacks is the direction. When your attempting to mouse drag “Chop” (as I call it) and your attempting to hit multiple opponents. As well as defending against other players.

I do not follow as part of “skill” as I understand it is knowing how to use the weapon (length, speed, recovery, parry, combo). To suggest that one form of mouse drag is skill while the others are just bad, IMHO, is a fallacy.

we aren’t talking about dragging the mouse
    we’re talking about putting the very beginning of the release period inside of the enemy

and doing this with the slash is much harder than with the overhand
    also doing it with the overhand requires no skill or precision

• @BB:

You’re pretty much asking to remove all high skill play
    You understand that right?

no skills involve in staring down, just a big exploit in my opinion!

• @Mgqc:

no skills involve in staring down, just a big exploit in my opinion!

read more than the first response, guy
    @BB:

2. Lookdown Overhand takes no skill to use, everyone knows this, figure out a way to make it skill based and your thread can get off the ground

accelerated attacks don’t just entail the lookdown overhand