Were you hoping for this game before you heard of it?

• For years before I even discovered that this game was being made, I was hoping for it. I was playing FPS’s and I thought, “There should be a Medieval FPS with swords, spears axes, and different classes of Medieval soldiers, as well as Medieval objectives” I was already very interested in Medieval warfare too.

Needless to say, when I discovered this game I went apeshit for it.

What’s your story about hoping for and discovering this game?

• Yes I did and now it evolved to hoping for bug fix patches everyday I get to my computer lol.

I think…any day now…any day…

Any…

Day…

now…

• Played Rune Halls of Valhalla for nearly 12 years religiously, until the community finally dwindled and the other veterans quit. Saw a YouTube video of this game and my crave for more medieval action was satiated! Very different frim Rune and not as good when it comes to mechanics and the competitive scene, but Chivalry is still growing, hope to see many of the issues it has fixed in the near future.

Here’s an example of a Rune arena mode match. The finals of a international tourny I was in. Unfortunately, there’s really no way to deal with higher pings because of different locations, so for US vs. Euro tournaments it would be split in half(example 10 fights in US server, 10 fights in euro). Ping was crucial in that game, got my ass handed to me moreso in the euro serv(when I was the shirtless guy), but turned it around on the US server( when I was the zombie). Won the finals by one, 25-24. Damn I miss that game. sigh I’ma stop now lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z403-cg3c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYTKEMmEBS8

• I was sort of hoping for a sandbox RPG game about you playing as a templar, then I saw the beta trailer and Templar vanguard is in it.

I was excited, but also disappointed that they removed templar vanguard.

It’s okay, the game is still fun anyway

• Since back in Age of Chivalry when I heard they were making this, I was really excited and counted down the days til’ release!

• I never knew it existed, nor was looking for anything but I saw gameplay on youtube and I was wow thats cool.

Then I saw someone feinting and I immediately bought it.

• @gregcau:

I never knew it existed, nor was looking for anything but I saw gameplay on youtube and I was wow thats cool.

Then I saw someone feinting and I immediately bought it.

Lol thanks to feinting. Good for the feinting haters!

• I heard about this game a week before release. If I heard of it any sooner, idk how I would have survived the wait… Oh wait… I probably just would have paid for the kick starter and join the beta lol. But I wasn’t craving a medieval game until I saw game play of this! And now I am hooked having lost over 20 days of game play time(and not counting all the time on the forums).

• I watched a video of Robbaz playing the beta and knew I had to buy it.

• I honestly thought Warband nailed it until I saw Chivalry, and I haven’t looked back since. Thankfully it was here to save me from the failure of Planetside 2, I was starting to lose hope in gaming companies.

• @Revak:

I honestly thought Warband nailed it until I saw Chivalry, and I haven’t looked back since. Thankfully it was here to save me from the failure of Planetside 2, I was starting to lose hope in gaming companies.

Planetside 2 has a great concept, I sometimes play it… I am disappointed with some things like the “Epic huge battles” (only if you’re 30m from your enemies) because pretty much any gun sprays bullets like a hose with your thumb over the end…

• Been hoping for a game like this ever since I was a young lad.

Stumbled on an early version Age of Chivalry when it appeared in my Steam list one day (they were giving some publicity for mods) and thought it was some kind of strategy game or something, was pleasantly surprised when I actually tried it!

Of course I then applied to Alpha test Chivalry (this game) as I knew it would be awesome, and had spoken to Tibbs and co before, and used to piss about on the old AoC forums all the time hehe.
    Hope they bring back some of the old siege mechanics such as the towers and secondary objectives.

My ultimate hope though one day is that some dev makes a massive strategy game (something along the size scale of Surpreme Commander, with some mechanics from the Total War games), but when you’re done issueing strategic commands, you have the ability to click a soldier and zoom into first person, and fight just as if it was Chivalry. Imagine that…

Of course that would be very hard to do, and pushing technical limitations but hey, people would have thought a game like Planetside 2 (Massively Multiplayer Online FPS) would still be a long way off…

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Revak:

I honestly thought Warband nailed it until I saw Chivalry, and I haven’t looked back since. Thankfully it was here to save me from the failure of Planetside 2, I was starting to lose hope in gaming companies.

Planetside 2 has a great concept, I sometimes play it… I am disappointed with some things like the “Epic huge battles” (only if you’re 30m from your enemies) because pretty much any gun sprays bullets like a hose with your thumb over the end…

The concept is good, yes. However I played the original religiously for many years so the sequel was a major flop for me. I was all ready to go , bought Alpha Squad and a ton of SC hoping they’d iron out the problems…I haven’t been able to play more than 5 minutes in months because of the massively gamebreaking issues such as the render problems.

…Sadly I built a new PC for that game as well, as much as I hate to admit that now.

• @adamcel6:

For years before I even discovered that this game was being made, I was hoping for it…

… Needless to say, when I discovered this game I went apeshit for it.

What’s your story about hoping for and discovering this game?

Nod, quite a same.

• I never heard about AoC, then CMW released. I saw it on YouTube. I wanted to play it. I played it a lot. Then I met this community.
    You’re chatting and criticize some users then you’re called a whiner. Most people aren’t really friendly or call you mad because you write “lol, feint spam”. I really don’t like that and I know a few people who left CMW because of the community and non existent support. I am thinking that the mods don’t even care about the community, especially in game.

That’s kinda sad, because this game has so much potential. But all you get is being insulted or being trolled and nobody cares. Well, we are on the internet. So I am not taking the insults nor the trolls serious, but I don’t understand this generation of people.

• @Skalli:

I never heard about AoC, then CMW released. I saw it on YouTube. I wanted to play it. I played it a lot. Then I met this community.
    You’re chatting and criticize some users then you’re called a whiner. Most people aren’t really friendly or call you mad because you write “lol, feint spam”. I really don’t like that and I know a few people who left CMW because of the community and non existent support. I am thinking that the mods don’t even care about the community, especially in game.

That’s kinda sad, because this game has so much potential. But all you get is being insulted or being trolled and nobody cares. Well, we are on the internet. So I am not taking the insults nor the trolls serious, but I don’t understand this generation of people.

We care :( I’m always helping people in game who need assistance. As well as joining people’s games when they need an admin. I also try to help people here in the forums when I have time… The devs are working hard on a patch. They are going a little slow atm, because they lost their lead programmer but hired 2 new ones. They are building a good foundation to keep the support up to date with current community needs. There are exciting things to come, trust me! :D

• @ChuckingIt:

We care :(

Of course, US is always important for developers. I’ve never seen a mod in game on EU servers, only twice a dev. Nobody cares about EU.

There are exciting things to come, trust me! :D

Let’s see how many people will be there to see them arriving.

• You seem to forget that we are volunteers. We don’t get paid. This isn’t a full time job. This isn’t a job at all. It’s something we volunteer to do, for the love of the game and the community. The addition of the mod group on steam was something we thought we’d try to do to help out more people. If we’re needed on a EU server, then by all means ask one of us. But to say we don’t care is pretty insulting, when obviously we do or we wouldn’t be here and play as much as we do. I’m also in a clan, so a lot of times I’m busy with practice and scrims. I can’t be around 24/7, none of us can. We all have real lives as well. We go to school, or we work or have families. We do what we can, that is within our limits. We’re not super heroes. We’re mods.

• @Kimiko:

You seem to forget that we are volunteers. We don’t get paid. This isn’t a full time job. This isn’t a job at all. It’s something we volunteer to do, for the love of the game and the community. The addition of the mod group on steam was something we thought we’d try to do to help out more people. If we’re needed on a EU server, then by all means ask one of us. But to say we don’t care is pretty insulting, when obviously we do or we wouldn’t be here and play as much as we do. I’m also in a clan, so a lot of times I’m busy with practice and scrims. I can’t be around 24/7, none of us can. We all have real lives as well. We go to school, or we work or have families. We do what we can, that is within our limits. We’re not super heroes. We’re mods.

So why not increase the number of mods? Though I don’t think more forum mods are needed, but it might do well to increase the number of people with admin privs to show a force on the official servers. I would love to use some admin powers - maybe set gravity to zero when someone tries to jump me and watch them float in the air muhaha.

• @Skalli:

Of course, US is always important for developers. I’ve never seen a mod in game on EU servers, only twice a dev. Nobody cares about EU.

I’m from the U.K, and what little time I get to play, I play on U.K Official servers. May as well since I have Admin powers there. The odd time I’ve jumped on a VQ one or wherever my friends are playing, but generally I’m just having a short game so I find an Official Classic server. Oh and don’t give the “I bought the game so blablabla” sorta response, we had to buy the game ourselves too…

Also as Kimi said, this is VOLUNTARY. I personally don’t even get home while after 7pm during the week as I have a FULL TIME JOB. After food, shower and other essentials, that really doesn’t leave much time for playing or even much browsing before it’s bed for work again. What little time I then get is taken up checking here. I have a blast at the weekend now and then but that’s all I get really. If I’m on Steam and not busy, and someone PM’d me for help though, of course I’d pop on.

If you or someone wants to pay me a monthly salary of more than I currently get with my job, I’d happily leave it and sit in the servers all day playing Chiv and spending more time helping out!

@gregcau:

So why not increase the number of mods?

See below.
    @gregcau:

I would love to use some admin powers - maybe set gravity to zero when someone tries to jump me and watch them float in the air muhaha.

More mods would then be needed to deal with all the complaints. :P

Also mods are not a police force, Torn Banner should never have to commit to actively policing servers, they’d be committed for life and expected to provide the same level of support for every game they make if so, causing support requirements to double for each future game. We’re just trying to help out with what we can and deal with reports, not sit in servers babysitting. If it got like that, people would be playing hell up the first time a server didn’t have a mod online.

As I keep mentioning, Blizzard, a multi-million pound publisher who have an ENTIRE DEPARTMENT of paid, trained and professional customer service staff only act on reports, and don’t actively police servers, how you expect unpaid volunteers to do so is beyond me.