So the future of CMW - long term

• Ok so short term we have bug fixes, balance, game play, and a mod kit for new maps.

But long term - how to attract new players and create a game with longevity.

At the core of the game with have something pretty special, a game with visceral combat, balanced PvP, up close and personal hack and slash, something any MMORPG would love but cannot achieve due to the nature of massive multi-player games.

While I am quick to dismiss turning CMW into a traditional MMORPG due to large number of features to be implemented - perhaps there is a middle ground that can be achieved, and I am just brainstorming here.

What most MMORPGs lack (today) is a dynamic, sandbox type environment where people can create and extend the game with their own content - be it weapons, homes (castles), etc. MMORPGS also fail to cater to a strong PvP community where PvP is about exciting combat, skill and balance. It seems to me that CMW has achieved that for the most part.

So what if there was a new game type, something that allowed you to develop a particular character through your own skins, and customization. Perhaps you could develop your own weapons within a certain formula restriction that combined reach, weapon speed and damage. But in order to do that you had to reach particular achievements.

What if as a community we developed a series of compatible, interlocking maps that represented a region and as a community - Agatha or Mason you could only play on an inner map once the outermaps were conquered.

I see a lot of possibilities for something bigger, and obviously it is complex but I do feel that if there was something bigger than just a single 24v24 map CMW could evolve into a game attracting a less niche gamer group.

Just thinking out loud.

• Actually combining cRPG and strategus of the mount & blade game… in my opinion it’s a great idea.
    Maybe some peopel with skills can mod the beginning so that TBS can implement it later (see: Mount and musket mod for M&B).

I am not sure how this could be done and C:MW is not designed in this way, but regardless it would be terribly fun.

• Sounds dreadfully boring to me, and smacks dangerously close to the sound of FTP grindfests that litter the gaming industry today. I hate to be a downer, but something as ambitious as this would need the team’s full focus, and I fear this would result in a watered down game experience full of +XP counters and optimal customized loadouts. A mere formula is not enough to stop people from developing the perfect weapon.

Anyway, “A dynamic sandbox environment” is something very few people want. Theme park MMOs like WoW are what’s popular; games like Mortal Online (which had amazing potential) get swept under the rug.

If anything, this would be even more niche than the current game, unless it was loaded down with aforementioned carrot-on-a-stick features (which are popular, but I personally loathe them to death).

• Modding tools will help produce more game types and maps! This should help a lot with adding more features to the game without the devs actually doing all that much.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Modding tools will help produce more game types and maps! This should help a lot with adding more features to the game without the devs actually doing all that much.

Mod Tools

coming soon.

• Global Moderator

@ReMixx:

@Slaughtervomit:

Modding tools will help produce more game types and maps! This should help a lot with adding more features to the game without the devs actually doing all that much.

Mod Tools

coming soon.

We know you have been repeating yourself for a month now.

• @lemonater47:

@ReMixx:

Mod Tools

coming soon.

We know you have been repeating yourself for a month now.

oooh ouch. Fighting words. Duel for your honour I say !