Keep being called a "hacker"

• Catchy title right? There has been an increase in the number of cheaters since the game came out, but still, when I hear of everyone constantly running into hackers, I got suspicious because I hardly ever see a hacker. And then I found out why… I joined a FFA server to blow off some steam. Put the music high, and started ripping face. Every map, I was called a : speedhacker, macro’er, keybinder (huh?). And each time they tried to votekick me. Now I understand why the community keeps running into hackers. Simply get a positive KDR, parry counter, feint to parry, use footwork and common sense… POOF, you too can be a hacker.

• Feint = hacks

• Op has a point. Most people are really not very smart, do zero research.
    I got kicked from too many servers because of the faster counter-stab of Sword of War. They claimed it was impossible to attack so faster after blocking.

In over 250 hours I have only encountered two obvious hackers and that was last year. Since then I’ve only seen stuff that can easily have been just bugexploiting, a bad connection, low frames per second etc.

And yes, some people don’t even make up lies to kick you, they just say “you’re too good for me, now get kicked”. Though it’s a nice boost of the ego. Thanks for that. If you don’t get kicked regularily, you’re simply not good enough.

• I played with a bunch of the int. guys on their TO server….and got mostly mauled. :D It made me realize that this game is really deep when it comes to the combat system. If people would take some responsibility and try to learn from playing and watching the great players, they might realize that it’s their fault they suck. (myself included)

I’ve logged a couple hundred hours (lv. 32) and have seen maybe 2 legit cheaters. The others were just better than me. Instead of bitching, I choose to learn and get better.

• @BYMFRREF:

Op has a point. Most people are really not very smart, do zero research.
    I got kicked from too many servers because of the faster counter-stab of Sword of War. They claimed it was impossible to attack so faster after blocking.

And yes, some people don’t even make up lies to kick you, they just say “you’re too good for me, now get kicked”. Though it’s a nice boost of the ego. Thanks for that. If you don’t get kicked regularily, you’re simply not good enough.

Pretty much.

@ballsdeep:

I played with a bunch of the int. guys on their TO server….and got mostly mauled. :D It made me realize that this game is really deep when it comes to the combat system. If people would take some responsibility and try to learn from playing and watching the great players, they might realize that it’s their fault they suck. (myself included)

I’ve logged a couple hundred hours (lv. 32) and have seen maybe 2 legit cheaters. The others were just better than me. Instead of bitching, I choose to learn and get better.

Great mentality :D

• I love fighting Moose.

• I’ve always lived by the idea that if you are unable to see the flaws in the way you perform, you will never get better. Unfortunately it is much easier to blame someone else for your loss, rather than look to yourself to see what you can improve.

I’m guilty of this myself, especially when it comes to mechanics I don’t believe fit for whatever reason. While I do find things like feinting frustrating because I personally believe they make you less skilled as you become reliant on a single mechanic to increase your skill, I realize there are still ways to overcome such mechanics even if it requires you to put in a greater effort than the person using said mechanic. In the end you become a more well rounded player than that person anyway, so it’s easy for me to brush it off. Lots of people are unwilling to look at it this way though. (Not saying feinting makes you a lesser player - it’s just my personal opinion on the current implementation of it. Many people who feint could probably still beat me without using it)

Leading to the topic at hand, I believe it is the flaw in the way people think. When I get frustrated even when it leads to venting on other people, in the end I always look to myself to see where I failed and what I can improve on. I believe a majority of the people do the opposite, in their mind they are already ‘skilled’ players, and when you beat them it is not because you are better, or in that certain instance you outplayed them, but that you must be using something that they cannot use. The easiest way for them to feel better, is to simply call you a hacker.

The only time this becomes a problem, is when their ideas brush off on to the other people in the server. They start agreeing with each other that you must in fact be hacking, as many of them cannot beat your play style. Sure it can be a nice ego boost, but it can also be very bothersome if you are just trying to have a good time playing a game. Like Bada said, he just wants to jump in a game, blast some tunes and go to town. Now possibly he may have to defend himself in chat or constantly explain why it is he is beating people. That can quickly redirect your thoughts of having fun to being angry at the stupidity of someone else.

The one way I’ve found to stop the ‘speedhack’ accusation is one simple line. “There is no hack that changes the animation speed of a weapon”. Most of the time it shuts them up and I can continue on having a good time smashing heads.

If the person wants to ask why it is I do as well as I do, I will most likely take a second to explain to them the mechanics of the weapon I am using. SoW tends to get the most accusations I find as people don’t understand combo speeds, especially with the thrust.

Tl: DR - There really aren’t many hackers in this game. I’ve seen less than a handful of real hackers in almost 300 hours played now. If you don’t let rage cloud your thinking, you may actually learn to beat them, or at the very least enhance your own game slightly so you can do better against pubs.

• This is the same as in BF3.

There’s a hacker cry almost every day and people do get banned.

I can’t play with one if my friends most of the time. As he’s banned off half the servers. Hes been banned twice off my clans server. I really yelled at the admins. One lost admin rights on bf3. Banning too many people for “hacking”. When there are no hackers.

• Yes some people are so good they are often being accused of cheating. Thank you for being such an awesome example of that (and thank you for the awesome headline I enjoyed reading about your skills really) . But cheating is not an unlikely option in this game. It’s a tempting alternative for those - not so skilled and profound as you. It’s easy to do and you’re unlikely to get caught if you pull it right. So why not?

There’s a problem with speed hacks that needs to be addressed. Right now it’s not being addressed very well by TBS and you’re actually not helping very much.

• I have encountered one hacker in 230 hours of gameplay. He was running around as the king with a flag on a TO server, and this was before capture the flag was a thing. He could also run so fast he crossed the map in a second or two.

• 125 hours logged so far, and I’ve seen one obvious hacker. One. That being said, I suppose most hackers would not be obvious. They would use subtle increases in speed so most people could not spot that shit. But yeah, I don’t know.

Every single skill based online game is going to suffer from people who cry hacker every time they get completely slaughtered.

• @simonhoxer:

Yes some people are so good they are often being accused of cheating. Thank you for being such an awesome example of that (and thank you for the awesome headline I enjoyed reading about your skills really) . But cheating is not an unlikely option in this game. It’s a tempting alternative for those - not so skilled and profound as you. It’s easy to do and you’re unlikely to get caught if you pull it right. So why not?

There’s a problem with speed hacks that needs to be addressed. Right now it’s not being addressed very well by TBS and you’re actually not helping very much.

This really. I have encountered a number of hackers in the game (7 or so) and have called mods in to have most of them banned. Some of them were obvious, some much more subtle.

I’d say I have a very good understanding of timings, game mechanics, and network issues. I can see and feel the difference between a good player, a lagger, and a hacker. But therein lies the problem, hackers aren’t obvious. Without a first person spectate and visible weapon tracers, you can’t definitively spot hackers.

The problem is the game is SO dependent on incredibly small timings, that a 0.002 - 0.02 second speedhack gives you a huge advantage, while being nearly invisible.

• Indeed I believe I have a fair understanding of timing as well coming from 15 years of FPS experience. And I can take serious beating, without having a shed of doubt that my opponent is cheating. It happens a lot!

The ease of installing speedhack and the absence of anticheat measures need some serious attention.

• A buddy of mine who played CS from early beta (carbine still had a scope!) used to get accused of hacking all the time. I don’t necessarily blame the pubs seeing that if you were on his screen for more than 1 seconds he would have at least 3 bullets in you, one of them more than likely hitting your head. They would cry foul and state it couldnt be done (As we now see with the likes of fatal1ty). One simple trick was to add firing to the mouse scroll wheel to get the perfect burst shot.

As frustrating as it was for myself when facing him, i did find that I was able to slowly start picking him off more as time went on, if more people would understand, that instead of banning good players to actually face them, they’ll excel in no time. I have a pretty good idea of the players I go after as soon as they either enter my server, or i hunt them down via Friendslist in order to get in a good fight. All Stalker like! Sir_Pink…i’m comin for you!

• @simonhoxer:

Indeed I believe I have a fair understanding of timing as well coming from 15 years of FPS experience. And I can take serious beating, without having a shed of doubt that my opponent is cheating. It happens a lot!

The ease of installing speedhack and the absence of anticheat measures need some serious attention.

There’s a lack of anti-cheat measures? The idea of hacking is to get around the cheat measures, which they’ve implemented even more. This portion is up to the server administrators to delegate and tweak till it can differentiate between a lagger and a hacker.

• You shouldnt be playing multiplayer games when you know you are good and you are bound to be called a hacker no matter what. Stick with offline games.

• @sirmike:

You shouldnt be playing multiplayer games when you know you are good and you are bound to be called a hacker no matter what. Stick with offline games.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. It’s not the responsibility of the community to skill-cap the game. Better players = better games played.

• There are lots of stupid accusations against good players. And then there are a lot of actual speedhackers. I’ve seen maybe 3-4 that were immediately obvious (people moving twice the normal speed, doing impossible things like killing everyone near them, got votekicked immediately), and then 3-4 that were more subtle. Occasionally, someone will hit me in what looks like their windup and I’ll start spectating them and testing their runspeed (change to their class, follow them around), and yeah - turns out they’re speedhacking.

It’s not rampant, but it’s absolutely there.

• This happens a lot to me.

But I think it has rather to do with bugs. There are a lot of bugs (and its getting even more with each patch). For example instant hits/invisible feint, the 1h hitting easily thru blocks and a lot more. Too lazy to list the other.
    Many of these bugs didnt exist before the patch and the others werent as frequently as now.

Its sad to say, but I feel like this game is alpha. Even beta felt more stable…

The devs need over a half year for a patch. Mostly its a “huge” patch, but thats already the problem, huge patch= huge amount of bugs. Then it takes again a half year to even ATTEMPT to fix it

I dont like this current build at all…

• I really really hope the BF3 syndrome doesnt take overhand in this game, i still want to enjoy pubs without being votekicked :(