Pole Hammer Thoughts

• I find the pole hammer to be useless aswell… I tried using it but there are much better options for reach and speed. The only decent attack it has other than the LMB, which is situational and again there are better options, is the overhead. The problem with that is it’s very predictable and never catches anyone off-guard. The stab? Well… why not use a multitude of other weapons?..

The (community?) wiki says “It is an excellent anti-Knight weapon due to its damage typing.”

However, I find that countering knight with just plain knight (or MaA) is always a better alternative. You get more armor and a shield (that can be worn on your back, even) to block arrows and javs from pesky archers if needed (where the vanguard gets nothing).

If I were to suggest a change it would be to allow the vanguard to have a heater shield option when using the pole hammer, which gets put on their back when not using their secondary. This gives the vanguard a unique option to have a heater shield at the cost of having quite predictable attacks. Actually at just less than 4lbs, you could easily single-handedly wield a bec-de-corbin with a heater, too. On this forum page there are 2 image references where the bec-de-corbin is being used with 1 hand and a shield.

(Direct images links:)

! Image1
    ! Image2

Pros:

• Good weapon against Knights
    • Passive bonus def vs archers while shield is out or on back
    • Unique ability to use vanguard’s secondary (or potentially the bec-de-corbin) with shield

Cons:

• Still easily countered by MaA, because MaA has dodging mechanic and can wear you down by attacking heater
    • Feet still able to be shot so they’re not entirely trumping archer
    • Predictable attacks

As opposed to how it is currently:

Pros:

• Good weapon against Knights

Cons:

• No real defense makes other weapons that are faster/have more range/deal more damage a better option (more damage output before you die, more range to peck away at knights, combinational)
    • Predictable attacks (attacks feel a bit sluggish for a weapon that’s as light as a sword, particularily the stab)

(This was originally written as a response to “Quaterstaff: utterly useless” but I decided not to threadjack as it has nothing to do with the quaterstaff)

• I don’t know, i’ve seen some dudes clean up with the polehammer (in duels). It’s really one of those situational weapons that takes a specific strategy and mind set to play with it and succeed. I found that it’s stab is pretty beastly, if combined with proper mouse dragging and footwork you can usually rape people with slash+stab combo’s, or vice versa. Still, I agree it needs a buff. I think the idea of giving the vanguard a shield with the polehammer is interesting, worthy of entertaining at least. Though giving the vanguard a shield might sort of tarnish the whole “two-handers all day every day” theme that is vanguard.

• This is a really interesting idea. The polehammer doesn’t vary enough from polearms or twohanders right now to justify using it much, so this would be an awesome alternative. I’m all for it.

• The main advantage of the pole hammer is that it is the only vanguard weapon that can kill a knight with 2 headshots using a slash.

• Make more use of the stab-overhead combo, it works wonders with the polehammer.

• Pole hammer useless? Man, you should have seen it in the beta. It was really useless there.

I find the pole hammer to be a shorter faster halberd. That deals blunt damage. Better against heavy classes.

• @lemonater47:

Pole hammer useless? Man, you should have seen it in the beta. It was really useless there.

I find the pole hammer to be a shorter faster halberd. That deals blunt damage. Better against heavy classes.

actually the Bardiche is faster AND better against Knights and Vans
    Bard overhand two shots everyone, while it takes three for the Pole’s overhand or slash…

what it does have over the Bardiche is the ability to two shot all classes except Knight with the stab

@gregcau:

The main advantage of the pole hammer is that it is the only vanguard weapon that can kill a knight with 2 headshots using a slash.

Bardiche can do that with overhand body shots

• I’d still prefer the halberd for the tiny amount of extra reach and faster comboing. Again though I counter knight using something completely different to begin with… I think though knights that are aware of the pole hammer will actively block/parry the thing and bring the effective damage of it to 0 anyways… All they need to do is stay out of range of the thing which I find quite easy because the vanguard is the one who needs to make the approach, and once you’re in range with the pole hammer the knight can just rush you. Unless you’re a REALLY great shot you’re not going to take the knight down in 2 by then anyways. Especially if you’re going for the guys head and he has any of the shields out…

I guess it has it’s place though if the damage output remains so high… catching some people off guard could be devastating for sure… even though knight is probably the least susceptible to being caught off guard only on account of how tanky they are.

What is the actual reach of the thing though? It looks longer than the halberd from 3rd person but doesn’t feel like it reaches nearly as far. Also the first person view of the thing is awful (it doesn’t line up with where the 3rd person model is holding it at all).

• I mainly use the billhook so I cannot really say much about the halberd and bardiche comparison.
    Compared to the billhook it’s somewhat slower while not having more damage in general.
    It’s a weapon that is in normal situations somewhat less useful against enemies than the billhook, however the sole situation where it shines is against knights. I played with the polehammer the last few days and although I did worse against most enemies compared to the billhook, against knights the thing is awesome. I mainly use the overhead against them (more effective than piercing and I do not use swings much to prevent tk) and it two-shots most of the knights I encounter, which the billhook rarely does. I do not know whether it were all headshots, but I had much greater ease the last few days going through the enemy knights, while against other enemies I performed worse than usual.

So I find it a nice alternative to the billhook when a lot of enemies are a knight class, while it’s less suitable when there are only a few knights in the enemy team.

• I take it back… this thing is very powerful once you learn the range of it… thread can be closed or just left to die.

• I’m curious about this pole hammer, is this the most powerful weapon?
    jaycee

• With headshots it can 2 shot a knight, so yep. Just a bit slow and pretty short range for a polearm.

• I see…this is really exciting!

• Bardiche can two shot knights with body shots, and is faster
    c’mon people
    if you’re going to talk about how great it is don’t list stuff other weapons can do better

• @BB:

Bardiche can two shot knights with body shots, and is faster
    c’mon people
    if you’re going to talk about how great it is don’t list stuff other weapons can do better

The pole hammer can do the same. Though its slightly slower. Blunt damage it deals too.

And its stab does Heck of a lot of damage and is fast. Its stab can two shot a vanguard.

• i’ve found it to be a crappy berd, still useable, but rather go with the berd. Only advantage is it sounds wicked when you overhand heads.

• Weapon is great against low level knights or people who haven’t faced this weapon before. Against experienced players this weapon is just suicide unless you can force a hit trade in which case you might win by attrition.

The only real secret/advantage with this weapon is that if a player is at 10:30 on the clock your swing from right to left will get around their shield at close range.

• @lemonater47:

@BB:

Bardiche can two shot knights with body shots, and is faster
    c’mon people

The pole hammer can do the same.

no it can’t

• Yeah bardiche and pole hammer are not on the same playing field at all :(
    It’d be like a frumpy schoolgirl vs mike tyson….she’d get her ears bitten off.

• i strongly believe the bardiche should have a big speed nerf so the polehammer is faster, giving it a 0.75 windup time on the overhead and slash would be a good nerf similar to how the halberd now has a 0.75 windup time on the stab, as the bardiche is meant meant to be slower than the halberd.