Norse sword a nerfed broadsword?

• Just wondering, is there any compelling reason to use the norse sword over the broad sword? The norse’s overheads and slashes aren’t great, they are faster but the broad sacrifices a bit of that for 1 less overhead in killing knights and vgs, plus better range. It seems all the norse has going for it is its fast stabs, but a quick look at the spreadsheet shows that both stabs have the same speed and damage, with broad having the advantage of range.

I rarely if ever see the norse sword being used. Might be just a niche weapon, but there doesn’t seem to be a situation where the norse can out-perform the broad…

…or is there anyone with more experience with the norse who can defend its shortcomings?

• The norse sword windup and recovery for over/slash is a little faster than the broadsword at a price of slightly less damage.

• The norse sword slash and overhead are brutally fast - .35s/.35s windups compared to .45s/.4s. It can 3-hit VG as long as at least one of the attacks isn’t a slash (or 2-hit, but it has to be stab+overhead or stabx2 headshots). It’s known for being a stabbing weapon (because it used to be), but now the norse stab has no advantages (.05s faster recovery, whatever) over broadsword and is shorter to boot. The norse is actually for interrupting your opponent’s attacks and then slashing and hacking them to death with fast attacks from unpredictable angles (slightly dragged alt slash + alt overhead + footwork lets you send attacks to their far left, then their far right, forcing them to wave their parry around like a crazy person).

That said, it can take five hits to bring a knight down this way, and that takes a lot of time. So if you’re facing a lot of knights (especially if you can’t get them on their own to steamroll them), then you should probably switch to something with more oomph to end fights quicker.

• It’s niche is good for MaAs and archers, having a better time-to-kill stat compared to the broad sword IMO while still being good against vanguards. Still, I think it’s about the same against knights as I seem to kill them slightly faster if not the same time-to-kill as the broadsword.

I think it’s in a good spot right now, people just haven’t bothered to play with it since it got nerfed.

• I think it could use a slightly faster stab windup (.4s) - the norse sword’s advantage over broadsword is speed, so might as well make that an across the board advantage and make me feel like less of a chump every time I try and stab someone.

• I like the Norse sword. Especially as a knight.

• I thought the norse’s trump was its stab. So now its just a faster and shorter broadsword?

• @Wangmaster:

I thought the norse’s trump was its stab. So now its just a faster and shorter broadsword?

Pretty much. Everyone was complaining pre-nerf about how it 2 shot everyone under knight incredibly fast, so they tweaked it around.

The description doesn’t really fit it anymore, but I think it’s a fine weapon now for taking out light classes quickly. I regularly have it with me as knight if I have a blunt primary.

• I always play knight and I always pick the norse sword as my secondary. It’s so fast. People don’t expect a knight to be that fast. It’s pretty good against someone using a heavy weapon, as they are ready to strike, you interrupt with the norse sword, and then you hack him from all kinds of different angles. I think it’s really fun, I don’t mind that I need like 5 hits to take someone down.

I draw my norse sword when I’m attacking archers and MAA, people who are already injured and when I duel.

• It is also one of the best weapons to have as a Knight when fighting a good Man At Arms. It is just so fast while still having two-shot potential - as long as you at least force a hit trade, you will be fine.

• @DSMatticus:

I think it could use a slightly faster stab windup (.4s) - the norse sword’s advantage over broadsword is speed, so might as well make that an across the board advantage and make me feel like less of a chump every time I try and stab someone.

It use it to be that fast. But they over nerfed it, by slowing its stab down AND reducing its stab damage…